Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You can make a 10-day trip either north or south out of SLC, but not both. I cannot emphasize enough how big the West is. I can show you a place where the road sign says "Next Exit 75 Miles. No Services." And the next gas is many miles beyond that. I can also show you a road sign that says "Litter Pickup Next 25 miles by Bob and Linda." Because there are so few people living around there that you just know who Bob and Linda are. And yes, they patrol 25 miles of highway for litter.

When time gets closer, PM me about the Browning and/or Hill AFB museums.

One regret of mine when the family was in Utah 2 years back, was not traveling North and meeting Rocky……Just never enough time to do half of what you’d like,

Maybe next time Rocky…….

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be here. And I'd be delighted.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be here. And I'd be delighted.
Appreciate that, thanks…..

It was all we could do in 10 days, Drive from Wisconsin, and back,

3 days in the Zion/St George area, then a few days each in Cedar breaks, Bryce and then Capital Reef Park,

I know the OP is heading North out of SLC, and few would head to Southern Utah in July, But Bryce was the surprise highlight of the trip….

All 6 people enjoyed Bryce National Park, a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good gawd....what are you stopping in Missoula for?

Butte I can kinda see.....maybe.

Smokejumpers Museum, of course!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You mentioned the bear tooth highway. We did that trip two years ago. Stayed at red Lodge then left early the next morning. Absolutely amazing trip, but it will take some time. After the pass you’ll go into Yellowstone. Even with only a few stops, which wouldn’t be good for your kids, it’s an all day thing.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Yes Going into the Park from Red Lodge and out in Wyo. is a full days drive with very few stops.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn near everything out here is at least a half-day drive.

And, do NOT think you can pull into any motel and find a room. Not in July.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
You can make a 10-day trip either north or south out of SLC, but not both. I cannot emphasize enough how big the West is. I can show you a place where the road sign says "Next Exit 75 Miles. No Services." And the next gas is many miles beyond that. I can also show you a road sign that says "Litter Pickup Next 25 miles by Bob and Linda." Because there are so few people living around there that you just know who Bob and Linda are. And yes, they patrol 25 miles of highway for litter.

When time gets closer, PM me about the Browning and/or Hill AFB museums.

It’s like your rear view mirror. All the printed maps and digital maps should have a warning on the maps of the western states.
“Towns and cities are twice as far as this map makes them appear” 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Virginia City Montana could be another stopping spot if the plan is to hit Bozeman- could be on the route.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scbigben
Planning a trip out west with the family this summer. We will be to flying into Salt Lake City in early July and plan to go north into Wyoming and Montana. Trip will be from Wednesday through Friday the following week and we will be flying home out of Salt Lake City. Looking for suggestions on must see locations and experiences as well as possible routes to take.

Thanks!

It’s big country. Yellowstone is worth three days by itself. Teton and Jackson another day. If you go to Cody be sure to see the rodeo and there are three museums in town. I doubt you’ll want to drive as far East as to see Little Bighorn, but it is worth while. Frankly, you’d be better off flying to IDF, Idaho Falls. It would save a bunch of driving, unless there is something in Utah you want to see. Like Browning museum in Morgan UT.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you go to the Little Bighorn Battlefield, please study the battle and the maps before you go. You will enjoy your visit a lot more.

All my life I was told the 7th Cavalry was wiped out on Last Stand Hill. It ain't that simple and over half of the outfit won their part of the battle in a defensive position 3 or 4 miles upriver.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browning Headquarters is in Morgan, but the museum is in the Union Station in Ogden - along with a great train museum and Browning Car collection (all on the same ticket). The fabulous Hill AFB Museum is a few miles away, with free admission.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.