Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone have it done lately? I have a raised foundation. Want it prepped for water heater, stove, and furnace.
Approx cost ? Im assuming I need to call a plumber.
What is approx yearly cost for propane at todays $$ ?
Any tips on having it done? How close or far would you install the tank from house? Above ground or below?
This is new to me. I have plumbed for natural gas before and guess I could do it for propane also. I have used both nlack pipe and the yellow flexible pipe.
Not sure whats needed for propane.
Thanks in advance

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Your supplier should know all that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can use either blk pipe or flex(stainless)
Flex is more money,but faster than cutting and threading.

Underground tanks are nice,but read the fine print on how long you need to stay with a supplier,or buy it out right.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Your supplier should know all that.

Gold. Pure gold.

Gonna have to bookmark this one.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you do it yourself, be sure to check for leeks

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Why? Will they give him indigestion?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ask the supplier. Here they have requirements that are silly but they won't connect you if you don't follow their requirements. We just had a cabin hooked up.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Anyone have it done lately? I have a raised foundation. Want it prepped for water heater, stove, and furnace.
Any tips on having it done? How close or far would you install the tank from house? Above ground or below?
This is new to me. I have plumbed for natural gas before and guess I could do it for propane also. I have used both nlack pipe and the yellow flexible pipe.
Thanks in advance

Just the fireplace, or the whole house?

Had our gas stove line ran and stove converted and installed for $750 I believe. Dude was a pro, did a fantastic job.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you plan to own this building for a while and if you expect to use a fair amount of propane over time, I'd strongly consider buying and installing an underground tank of an appropriate size. I use about 700 gallons each year and I buried a 1,000 gallon tank.

I like buying my tank because my propane is cheaper (no tank lease cost built in) and I have complete flexibility on where I buy it. That can save you quite a bit over the years. Don't let the tank installer force you into signing an agreement to buy propane only from them.

I like burying it for security, aesthetics and convenience. I don't have to mow around it or worry about an idiot driving into it, etc.

As others have said, your local propane system installers can answer the other questions for you.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
We did the gas log thing a few yrs ago package deal not that bad I did have to fix a pad for the tank to sit on but no big deal 👍

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would imagine its needs a pressure/leak down test. Just like a natural gas setup.
Im also assuming I will need a permit and pass inspection.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Thanks in advance

Had our gas stove line ran and stove converted and installed for $750 I believe. Dude was a pro, did a fantastic job.
We don’t have a fireplace and no room for one without adding on. That is a possibility though. I have a electric water heater in the house, plans for a gas rangetop and a furnace in the garage . House was built in 08 and Im sure its the original water heater and furnace. No doubt its going to be a lot of expense to add propane and change appliances and vent as needed.
I need to pencil it all out, maybe better to sell,lol.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Thanks in advance

We don’t have a fireplace and no room for one without adding on. That is a possibility though. I have a electric water heater in the house, plans for a gas rangetop and a furnace in the garage . House was built in 08 and Im sure its the original water heater and furnace. No doubt its going to be a lot of expense to add propane and change appliances and vent as needed.
I need to pencil it all out, maybe better to sell,lol.

What I did was keep my water heater electric so I didn't have to run a vent, since it went out at the same time as I was swapping the stove, and had the stove and fireplace ran to the tank through the basement. Propane is cheaper than electricity out here right now.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You will need a permit as your propane company most likely will not hook up to a line that has not been inspected and tagged., some folks out in Calif use the flex line than comes in a roll. If it’s a short run, maybe just go coated black iron. High efficient water heaters and furnaces use a pvc pipe for a vent. You have to figure usage and distance to size your line . In the gas line right before the appliance, they want a drip leg. Just google it. This is an easy job. Forgot, check with the building dept on how close you can put your tank. Most building departments have a free install sheet. Alan

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Alan_C
You will need a permit as your propane company most likely will not hook up to a line that has not been inspected and tagged., some folks out in Calif use the flex line than comes in a roll. If it’s a short run, maybe just go coated black iron. High efficient water heaters and furnaces use a pvc pipe for a vent. You have to figure usage and distance to size your line . In the gas line right before the appliance, they want a drip leg. Just google it. This is an easy job. Forgot, check with the building dept on how close you can put your tank. Most building departments have a free install sheet. Alan

That is a great job you did googling answers to the question at hand.

You need to go back to deep cover school.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I forgot to mention if you go plastic type line underground, you will have to add a tracer wire so it can be detected.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 500 gallon tank. I'm on a flat rate plan that I pay monthly. Just paid 2.50 a gallon for propane. My stove, water heater, and furnace are propane. They fill it to 80%. Summer is usually less expensive.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It requires a license from the Railroad Commission in Texas. Take a class and a test, easy thing for plumbers. The line should have no traps. I’d use black pipe, looks much better in my opinion. It needs tested, every joint soaped. I’d hire it done, propane is heavier than air, will accumulate in low areas, more dangerous than natural gas. Drip legs on each piece of equipment. It needs to be sized by the combined BTU’s of appliances

Last edited by hanco; 04/07/24.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We have just a gas fireplace. A 120 gal tank supplied and filled by Amerigas. We actually use about 150 gal/year just to keep the chill off of the daytime use area of the house, without cranking up the thermostat on the electric furnace.

Our case is a bit different than the OP, as our fireplace was plumbed to the exterior of the house. Amerigas did the installation of the tank and service line, hooked it up to the house, and did the leak down test.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
We have just a gas fireplace. A 120 gal tank supplied and filled by Amerigas. We actually use about 150 gal/year just to keep the chill off of the daytime use area of the house, without cranking up the thermostat on the electric furnace.

Our case is a bit different than the OP, as our fireplace was plumbed to the exterior of the house. Amerigas did the installation of the tank and service line, hooked it up to the house, and did the leak down test.
I wouldn’t mind plumbing to the outside for a fireplace
But That will require adding on. Im not sure if you were in the house when you were here it has a Piss poor layout. Great views though. My other issue maybe digging to lay the pipe from the tank pad to the house. I guess a lot of lava rock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.