Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hanco:

We do have a 3000-watt Honda generator, and it will go for about 25 hrs on 5 gallons of fuel. We've also cooked with propane for decades, but with the exception of a couple green bottle lantern runs, never done the lights from a tank. On our other ventures like weeklong float trips etc, we can endure with about 2 gal of Coleman gas for everything.

Any points lately?

Slum: I did try some surfing, but could not shake anything out directly addressing propane lanterns/tanks/regulators.

Thanks,

Last edited by 1minute; 04/07/24.

1Minute

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes you can run them like that.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Bry
^^^^^This^^^^^

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

used that many times with a later and a hose coming off for a stove

Yup. This works great.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An appliance that can run straight from a 1 lb disposable bottle can be run from a bulk tank without a regulator. The regulator will be built into the appliance. That includes lanterns, stoves, and heaters.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What HANCO said...Ryobi makes a string of 3 work lights that run on the 18volt+ battery system, also there are several rechargeable LED lanterns and work lights...nothing to get hot, no fuel or LPG leaks to worry about, and small solar panel chargers can recharge the batteries during the day.through USB cables

Last edited by tophorsecop; 04/07/24.

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
IC B2

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Again. Once temps fall below freezing, lithium batteries have to be warmed before they will take a charge. Just ask the Tesla owners up in Montana and Minnesota. They are absolutely wonderful though during our summer months (quick charge and sustained discharge voltage), so I will shout praises from the rooftops for that portion of the year. For continuous winter operation though, lithium sucks.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/07/24.

1Minute
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 1minute
Again. Once temps fall below freezing, lithium batteries have to be warmed before they will take a charge. Just ask the Tesla owners up in Montana and Minnesota. They are absolutely wonderful though during our summer months (quick charge and sustained discharge voltage), so I will shout praises from the rooftops for that portion of the year. For continuous winter operation though, lithium sucks.

Nothing like the hiss of a gas lantern and a tent when it's cold anyways.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Bry
^^^^^This^^^^^

Yup. This works great.
Yeah, me too. I put the tank next to the folding table with the lantern on top, one short hose for the stove, another for a Mr. Heater which I could turn off and on without climbing out of the fart sack. Leave widows unzipped, don't sleep with them burning.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bry
^^^^^This^^^^^

This is the best way to do it. But if you don't like this setup, you can hang the lantern from the ceiling and run a hose from the 20# tank to the lantern.

AND as others have mentioned, you can install a "T" in the hose and run a space heater or Buddy Heater off the same tank.

One plus for using a Buddy Heater is that it has an oxygen sensor that will turn off the Buddy Heater when the oxygen gets low. There's no audible alarm but you shouldn't be running the Buddy Heater and the lantern at the same time.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Bry
^^^^^This^^^^^

Yup. This works great.

I've run the same setup for many years, with a double adaptor so as to run stove and lamp off the same gas bottle, with no regulator. Back when I had a 3-way fridge I ran that off the same bottle.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a gas lamp inside a tent. I have an open-sided gazebo for cooking and eating. There are two reasons I wouldn't have one in a tent, the first being the risk of fire: these things give off a lot of heat, and tent materials are flammable. The second is that they burn up the oxygen, and in a closed tent that is a risk.

LEDs are so efficient that you can get a lot of light with minimal power consumption, and that is what I use in the tent. In fact I also have clip-on LED lights for the gazebo too, and these light it up so well that the last couple of trips I haven't even bothered to bring the gas lamp.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The regulator is built in as mentioned prior. The 5 gallon tank will run a lantren, long enough for our deer and elk seasons. A couple years if thats all you are using it for.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not all of the lanterns have regulators. Newer ones yes, but some other makes and older Colemans no. Depending on temperature tank pressure is usually 145 psi. @ 70 deg. but can get as high as 315 psi. @ 130 deg. Lanterns usually run on, or recommended pressure is 20 to 40 psi. And at any rate if the lantern is connected directly to a Coleman 1 pound tank the built-in regulator (if it has one in its valve) should be sufficient. But if connected to a 20 pound, or 5 gal tank with a long hose, the hose length is still going to be at high pressure. If a hose is used its best to have an inline regulator at the tank.

Phil

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use the propane post like others mentioned. If you have an Ollies store nearby, they recently got a ton of Coleman stuff in, they were selling the propane tree posts for 5 bucks.

I just picked up one of the Northern Novas, 3000 lumens, that joker will put out some light.

As far as the disposable green coleman bottles, I switched to the flameking refillables. Can buy the kit and refill them yourself off a 20lb tank.

Last edited by killerv; 04/08/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
you can install a "T" in the hose and run a space heater or Buddy Heater off the same tank.
I have a Big Buddy Heater. It has 2 connections, a high pressure and a low pressure. The high pressure uses a 1lb bottle or you can run a hose direct from a bulk tank without a regulator. The low pressure is used to connect to an RV line with a regulator. It has a quick release connector so you have to have the right hose to hook it up.
The Buddy Heater has only a high pressure, used for 1lb bottles or a non-regulated bulk tank.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The pressure in an LP tank is usually between 100 and 200 psi depending on the temperature. It doesn't matter how large or small the tank is as long as there is liquid propane in it. The pressure is caused by the liquid changing to a gas. (Vapor Pressure)

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know folks who use "Buddy" heaters on tanks bigger than 1# often need/use an in-line fuel-filter, they're only about $11.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes easy ..but switching to led is even better

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goodbye Coleman..... Milwaukee GIDDS2-2490388 M18 Led Lantern/Flood Light https://a.co/d/9vmsygW

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a Chinese knockoff fan and three LED lights setup runs on the M18 system keeps the heat in the tent instead of up on the ceiling....thinking it's about the greatest setup I've had... Camping Fan for Milwaukee M18 18V Li-ion Battery, Portable Tent Fan with 180LM LED Lantern, Hanging Hook, Remote Control, Battery Operated Outdoor Fan for Travel, 1800CFM 6.5" Personal Fan, 3-Speed https://a.co/d/j361fEw Add some 3M red tape over the light system and you can keep your night vision .. that way you ain't stumbling over a bunch of stuff when you walk off in the night to drain your monkey !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the newer version of the Cabela's six man with my Mr Buddy and this fan setup.... you lay on top of the bag while you're asleep!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.