Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Some people don’t care one bit about ‘trophy’ deer: they just want to kill something on family trips with their kids along, or get meat in the freezer, or whatever. Game Departments need to manage for all of these interests.

If you all want point or width restrictions statewide then take it up with MTFWP, I guess. Personally, I like the current system where some are sacrifice units where anything with antlers is fair game, some are ‘trophy’ only units, some areas are draw and some areas are open.

Now dealing with the predators and habitat situation is another issue.
I get it but selling more tags than you have game alive is that sound game management? Letting everybody who has a hunting license buy 5,6, 7 tags?
I never said one word about point or width restrictions but name 1 other state who has the liberal length and tags Montana has, not 1 who have good Deer populations
Theres an ole saying you do the same thing over and over but expect a different result well thats what montana has been doing, ask anybody who has spent the time I have out there.
Montana seems to do the talking part but finally they have cut back on the M.D doe tags I wished they would have even went farther on the M.D doe tags
As far as opportunity I've heard that arguement for a long time but if something isn't done there won't be any opportunity for anybody.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/07/24.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We need more wolves.

Duh.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We need more wolves.

Duh.
Same i agree, I wish everyone of them was dirt but thats never gonna happen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is a person allowed 7 mule deer tags in Montana? Even if restricted to private land, antlerless, etc? I know they give whitetail tags out like candy but where I am from (Bitterroot) a guy pretty much can kill only one mule deer a year and a buck at that, with some limited exceptions.

None of the states have all that, that I am aware of but that’s not the point.

I don’t have the answers….

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure how many M.D doe tags you could get in Eastern M.T but for years they were pretty generous, alot of multi region.
Point of a this theres not 1 state that I have ever hunted besides MT that includes Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Washington etc that you could walk in and buy multiple doe tags M.D or Whitail NR or Resident over the counter theres a reason for that.
Every other state that I'm aware of for a NR atleast its a 1 buck or doe tag and thats it, at best it maybe was 1 Whitail doe tag with a buck tag.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was talking with a guy once on this same subject about all the doe tags and he said just because they offer 24 bud lites in a box does that mean you drink them all at once, he was comparing to be able to buy 6 doe tags just because you can should you? Well there's plenty out there that do both so my only way i see it is to drastically reduce tags.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Yep 7 doe tags, our deer are in bad shape. Some of the lowest numbers I’ve seen and winter was very mild. They closed public land to doe tags in 6 and 7 this season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
VG,
Muley populations have declined significantly across their entire home range of western North America beginning in the early 80’s. Despite a number of studies by the western states, no clear smoking gun has been identified. Almost certainly a perfect storm of several or more factors. Predators among them.

From the early 60’s to the late 70’s there were 1.1 million deer estimated to winter over in Colorado ( full disclosure, that was recognized as an over population). But today…….there are less than 425,000.

Makes me sad.

There have been several studies in various states since the general rise in elk populations indicating more elk tend to repress mule deer populations.

I started hunting big game in the 1960s, during the peak of the post-WWII mule deer boom--which was due to several factors, including habitat recovering from droughts during the 1930s. But there were other factors, including many landowners refusing to let anybody shoot does, despite vastly imbalanced populations.

In my second season I hunted a ranch south of Big Timber, and saw over 200 does in one day--and two bucks, both forkhorns. (In 1969 I also worked as a ranch-hand in southeastern Montana, and the father-son owners told me they illegally "culled" hundreds of mule deer during 50s to save their hay crops for their cattle. Yet the son was then an outfitter and didn't allow does to be killed by hunters, the reason very few bucks survived to be 4x4s--and if they did were immediately killed. (He was a typical rancher, who didn't see any sense in killing "mommies".)

The other factor was that mule deer populations tend to follow about an 11-year population cycle, linked in some studies to sun-spot activity, which influences winter weather. When we moved here in 1990, mule deer were almost as abundant as in the 60s, but that was partly due to recent "modern" smaller clear-cuts. One area we frequently hunted was a series of 100-200 acres cuts along about a mile of closed logging road. It was common to see 10-15 mule deer on every cut on cold mornings. Since then all those cuts have grown up into small timber....

Mule deer also reproduce far quicker than elk, due to usually having two fawns a year instead of one calf. All of which is why mule deer were far more abundant EVERYWHERE back then than elk, and why elk on public and were typically found in thicker timber on lower Forest Service land, though there were some at higher elevations. Resident elk tags were always available OTC, so there was plenty of hunting pressure--the reason most pubic elk hid in thicker timber.

Today elk tend be found more often at lower elevations, especially on valley ranches that don't allow or limit hunting. I realize this seems like like "boomer" observations (was born at the peak of the baby boom), but it's also been substantiated by a number of studies--including where most Montana elk are taken these days. Which is why this fall I hunted elk not in my local area, where Eileen and I did well during the 1990s, but in central Montana--where elk populations are far above "desired" levels by the game department, and there were very few elk 50 years ago.

It was in an area I guided in during the late 1980s, when it was great mule deer country. There were some elk back then, but far more mule deer. Saw several hundred elk--and very few mule deer.

Everything you said, plus:

When the Taylor grazing act was passed in the mid 30’s, and the number and the amount of time grazing of livestock was significantly reduced, and at about that time hunting had begun to be regulated, is likely a huge factor in the mule deer population explosion that began in the 40’s.

Today, that “new growth” of browse plants that began in the 40’s, in response to significantly less livestock grazing, have become decadent and does not provide the forage it once did.

Another example, with various species of sage being important winter browse, Pinion/Juniper has encroached on sage significantly. Most likely because of wildfire suppression.

Most of the old time biologists I know believe elk are a big factor though.

Don’t tell the bunny huggers, but it’s clear Colorado believes bears are a factor, and over the last 6-8 years have been practically THROWING bear tags at hunters.
Another thing with the TGA was the amount of money spent on range improvements. And at that time there were a whole lot more sheep being grazed on than today. So those range improvements helped sheep, which have a much higher dietary overlap with deer, who then benefitted. IIRC, in the 1960's the BLM alone was chaining over 1 million acres a year of trees/brush! In many areas this type of work is now infeasible due to red tape and invasive species...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I almost brought up the chaining of P/J in large swaths of BLM. I’m just old enough to remember seeing two big dozers pulling an anchor chain through the trees….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I see significantly less deer when elk hunting that I saw 20-30 years ago and I rarely saw one or two around my place. Now though I see too many around my place. They eat any freshly seeded pasture that is just coming up and everything else around the house. It is common to see 18-25 deer out back. They drop their fawns up close to the house

CPW came out and gave me several boxes of rubber bullets to shoot them with and add two strands pf hot wire to the the 5 strand wire fencing.

Nothing but long legged rats now.

This one gored our lab right out in front of the house.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NYAHHlF.jpg?1[/img]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Not sure how many M.D doe tags you could get in Eastern M.T but for years they were pretty generous, alot of multi region.
Point of a this theres not 1 state that I have ever hunted besides MT that includes Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Washington etc that you could walk in and buy multiple doe tags M.D or Whitail NR or Resident over the counter theres a reason for that.
Every other state that I'm aware of for a NR atleast its a 1 buck or doe tag and thats it, at best it maybe was 1 Whitail doe tag with a buck tag.

In Texas any NR can buy a license that comes with 5 deer tags, and all can be does depending on the specific regulations for each county.

Last year was my first time to MT for elk hunting that I didn’t see a single whitetail deer. I think that hard winter the year before took its toll. But that’s one NR opinion from anecdotal experience.
I figured Montana made WT doe tags accessible to minimize competition with Mule deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I almost brought up the chaining of P/J in large swaths of BLM. I’m just old enough to remember seeing two big dozers pulling an anchor chain through the trees….
Chaining is good! Funny how the old BLM manual on it has a deer on it. laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,454
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.