Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
wyomike Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Getting ready to order a new rear bag and wondering which do you prefer, and why. High ears, or low ears. Also slick ears or leather.
Thanks

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For bench shooting Im assuming? by the way you worded the question.

I use an Armageddon Gear Game Changer bag for EVERYTHING. Everything from bench shooting to free recoil off of barricades/fences/posts, etc. Discovered them when I was shooting PRS and learned how useful they were. Doesn't weigh much, easily toted in a pack, and comes in darn handy when hunting and shooting prone with bipods. Can be flipped and flopped any height needed and there's nothing it won't conform to. I yanked all the velcro stuff off and kept the two side handles.

A little pricey but it's a do-everthing piece of kit. I don't need no other stinkin' bag.

https://armageddongear.com/product-category/game-changers/

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American

I use an Armageddon Gear Game Changer bag for EVERYTHING. Everything from bench shooting to free recoil off of barricades/fences/posts, etc. Discovered them when I was shooting PRS and learned how useful they were. Doesn't weigh much, easily toted in a pack, and comes in darn handy when hunting and shooting prone with bipods. Can be flipped and flopped any height needed and there's nothing it won't conform to. I yanked all the velcro stuff off and kept the two side handles.

A little pricey but it's a do-everthing piece of kit. I don't need no other stinkin' bag.

Oh no, not this again. Everyone seems to argue about what is the best, without offering any proof. Let me grab some popcorn..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Two socks.
Daisy BB's or airsoft BB's.

Fill one sock. Zip tie it twice. Fold it over and Zip tie it again.
Put it in the other sock. Zip tie it closed.

Done.

Best
HeavyDove

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on the discipline, but typically medium, slick ears. But what's more important is a width that fits your stock.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used the one in the photo for the first time yesterday, I used one previously with "ears" but it caught on my sling swivel and was not "squishy", you had to more it fore or rear to adjust. This bags squishes so you can apply the pressure you need to make adjustments.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022680723

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyomike
wondering which do you prefer, and why.
Thanks

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Oh no, not this again. Everyone seems to argue about what is the best, without offering any proof. Let me grab some popcorn..

Too much which and why for you BSA?

Don't choke on your popcorn ol' boy......

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
wondering which do you prefer, and why.
Thanks

Too much which and why for you BSA?

Don't choke on your popcorn ol' boy......

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I used the one in the photo for the first time yesterday, I used one previously with "ears" but it caught on my sling swivel and was not "squishy", you had to more it fore or rear to adjust. This bags squishes so you can apply the pressure you need to make adjustments.

The groups you posted recently with your new rifle is proof enough for me. Obviously that bag is working great!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After 10’s of thousands of rounds, this still seems to be the best answer. Shot bags filled with wheat and leather bags on top. The front is easily adjusted by how the bags are stacked and the leather bag filled with sand on top will give you a rock solid rest. The rear is the rear bag on a single wheat bag for proper elevation. The rifle can be slid forward or reverse to allow for elevation tuning…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting ready to order a new rear bag and wondering which do you prefer, and why. High ears, or low ears. Also slick ears or leather.
Thanks
I prefer these guys.
https://protektormodel.com/collections/rear-bags
I like the short bunny ears with the reflective material on ears.
These guys will make what ever you want your way.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And Protektor is the best.
dave

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Thanks
I prefer these guys.
Dave
The Protektor leather bags are excellent and work well, but probably not "new" enough for some folks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lotech
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Thanks
I prefer these guys.
Dave
The Protektor leather bags are excellent and work well, but probably not "new" enough for some folks.

How true.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob

The groups you posted recently with your new rifle is proof enough for me. Obviously that bag is working great!

I do like it better than the one I was using previously!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks

Mike, it really depends on the stock. For example, ears that work with a cheek piece might not be the best for a non cheek piece butt. A bag with a heavy flat bottom might not work on an irregular surface the way a rounded bottom bag will. I use these (and a couple others).

For an all purpose, general use bag, this short eared Protector with a round bottom is pretty forgiving. If you need some extra height, a rubber spacer, etc. can be added under the bag.

Buy a quality bag like a Protector. Stay away from stuff like those 'suede' Hoppe's rear bags...yuk and double yuk. sick

Hope this helps. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Al, that old soft Protektor bag and rubber base look exactly like mine, even the honest wear and tear.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
For bench shooting I use Protecktors, front and rear. Rear has small ears:

Off a bipod and barricades, I normally use an original Gamechanger

I also use a min-waxed bag with Git-Lite fill when using a bag off my tripod or backpack:

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What Al said
This is a progression.
More like a evolution.
We started with Tooley trackers that have a toe that's about .625 wide. Over the course of years we added delrin tow parts to the bottoms of our stocks.
These days the toes are part of the stock and are parallel to the for end.
The base on the bag on the left is actually to big.
You can't get your ribcage and arm off of it.
So we had the base of the bag made smaller.
Works much better.
What's handy is the guy from Protektor shows up at our two day championship at Ridgway each summer.
Just told him what we wanted and 5 weeks later it showed up. Filled with heavy sand ready to go.
Pic of the 2 inch toe.
Stocks with 2 inch toes.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
protektor rabbit ear for a do all. this would be off the bench shooting. in the field its really anything I have handy. I like leather bags like protektor for the range or bench use because they allow the gun to recoil consistently. ie the gun rides the bags. this is what helps keep your POI from moving around. gun needs to recoil back and forward in a way that is the same, the leather bags help greatly with this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.