Hop To
Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Not really.
Yes. Really.
If God really cared about the salvation of humans, why did he wait 98K+ years to send the savior?
Maybe one day you can ask Him. In person. The choice is yours.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am still having trouble trying to reconcile salvation by faith in "Christ and Him Crucified" (and resurrected)…,
All of the issues that you mention in your post have been addressed by multiple people here, on multiple threads of this kind, both present and past.
Yes, but none of it makes much sense if you hold it up against their other "beliefs". If you never heard of Jesus or Paul your works count. If you have available to you the approved version of the NT your faith in Christ and Him Crucified is the ticket. That's what Jimmy Swaggart teaches, and he advertises his writings excoriating the Catholics, the Mormons, the Moslems, and now he is pretty hard down on the Assembly of God the denomination that reluctantly gave him the boot.

In the present last few months what happens to the little Jewish or Palestinian 4 year old that got killed in the ongoing conflict over there? It's a problem.

I guess we can say that a just God can handle it.

This is just one of many problems my friend.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Not really.
Yes. Really.
If God really cared about the salvation of humans, why did he wait 98K+ years to send the savior?
Maybe one day you can ask Him. In person. The choice is yours.

Tell yourself all the feel good stories you want. Makes no difference if we are all just worm food in the end.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if neither your god nor your eternity does not exist?
Then the choices we make regarding where we’ll spend eternity are moot.

But, if the Christian God and eternity as taught by Christianity does exist, then the choices we make regarding where we’ll spend eternity matter. Greatly.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
And if neither your god nor your eternity does not exist?
Then the choices we make regarding where we’ll spend eternity are moot.

But, if the Christian God and eternity as taught by Christianity does exist, then the choices we make regarding where we’ll spend eternity matter. Greatly.

The ol' Pascals wager, which fails on multiple levels, the lease of which is that you're not Mormon:

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. But again, it is pretty simple though. Choices. They matter. You seem to be uncomfortable with that.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If he doesn't exist, it's an empty choice.
Again, it’s still a choice. It’s your choice. Make it. Or not. And live with it. For eternity.

Conviction isn't a thing you switch on or off like a light.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

There are about 4000 recognized religions. If any of the other 3999 besides Christianity are correct then you are just as screwed as the people who don't believe in any of them. Do you worry constantly that one of the other 3999 is the actual true path to God? After all to them you are a non believing heretic. No? This doesn't concern you? Well then you know how I feel about all 4000 of them.

Mathematically speaking you are only 0.025% less agnostic than me.

Last edited by Willto; 04/08/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Christianity is the only truth. The rest are false. No it doesn’t concern me. How they feel doesn’t matter at al.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Willto
There are about 4000 recognized religions. If any of the other 3999 besides Christianity are correct then you are just as screwed as the people who don't believe in any of them. Do you worry constantly that one of the other 3999 is the actual true path to God? After all to them you are a non believing heretic. No? This doesn't concern you? Well then you know how I feel about all 4000 of them.
I don’t worry about any of it. At all. Ever. The other’s that you refer to can believe as they choose, just as you can.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Nope. But again, it is pretty simple though. Choices. They matter. You seem to be uncomfortable with that.

The evidence is the evidence and the one thing I won't chose if voluntary delusion.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
ALL HAIL THE SPAGHETTI MONSTER

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Christianity began with an event. Christianity is informed and evidence based. Your denial of that doesn’t change that.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Christianity began with an event. Christianity is informed and evidence based. Your denial of that doesn’t change that.

Your definition of evidence is skewed in favour of your faith based assumptions of truth.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One day to God is like a thousand years.

A thousand Years to God is like a day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real definition of faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe is true. And there’s belief ‘that’ and there’s belief ‘in’. Belief ‘that’ is getting evidence that God exists, that Jesus rose from the dead, and that the New Testament manuscripts are telling us the truth. It’s simply apologetics. The evidence shows that there’s good reason to believe that these things are true.

But all the belief ‘that’ in the world won’t get our sins forgiven. For that we gotta go from belief ‘that’ to belief ‘in’ or trust ‘in’. Often when the Bible is talking about faith it’s talking about belief ‘in’ or trust ‘in’ ~ after you know, based on the evidence, that God exists, that Jesus rose from the dead, and that the New Testament manuscripts are telling us the truth.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The real definition of faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe is true. And there’s belief ‘that’ and there’s belief ‘in’. Belief ‘that’ is getting evidence that God exists, that Jesus rose from the dead, and that the New Testament manuscripts are telling us the truth. It’s simply apologetics. The evidence shows that there’s good reason to believe that these things are true.

But all the belief ‘that’ in the world won’t get our sins forgiven. For that we gotta go from belief ‘that’ to belief ‘in’ or trust ‘in’. Often when the Bible is talking about faith it’s talking about belief ‘in’ or trust ‘in’ ~ after you know, based on the evidence, that God exists, that Jesus rose from the dead, and that the New Testament manuscripts are telling us the truth.

You equivocate. Trust is built or destroyed when you have direct experience with someone or something.

Some people say they experience God in their lives, or they have a relationship with God, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. What they have is faith, they believe their experience is true, but can't prove it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a very long seven days as described in Genesis. And Christians are responsible for the greatest amount of good in the world today.
Anyone that looks down on me for believing that Jesus is the son of God, should probably look inward. The Bible was written by man.
Man ain't perfect but one dude got close a long time ago.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When one’s position…which has been presented right here on this forum…is that they still would deny Christianity even if they knew for a fact that it was true, then their claimed “scrutiny” of a subject to “sort fact from fiction” and determine what is true falls flat. That person clearly has a bias. That’s their choice.

Again, faith simply means trusting in what you have good evidence to believe is true. Faith and reason work together. Reason simply gets you to a point where you can exercise trust. Reason simply helps you with belief ‘that’. Then it’s your own decision as to whether or not you’re gonna go from belief ‘that’ to belief ‘in’ or trust ‘in’. Reason deals with belief ‘that’ and trust deals with belief ‘in’.

The opposite of faith is not reason, the opposite of faith is a ‘lack’ of trust. And so the opposite of reason is not faith, but the opposite of reason is irrationality ~ like the above instance where one clearly chooses to deny the truth of a matter even when they know for a fact that the said matter is true.

Jesus and His apostle’s talk about getting evidence for your faith.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This thread reminded me of friend that called his mother-in-law "Frog." He said it was because she survived the asteroid extinction event.

Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 37 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.