Campfire Tracker
So ya know...

GR

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Old discussion for the teeny boppers here!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad killed his last elk at 800 yards with a borrowed Parker Hale 30-06 with a fixed 4x scope.
So it can be done.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
My dad killed his last elk at 800 yards with a borrowed Parker Hale 30-06 with a fixed 4x scope.
So it can be done.

I knew an old guy, once, that said he used his Weatherby 30-378 on an elk. Shot the elk in the offhand position, elk was trotting, and it was 1,100 yards away. He didn't even have to lead it, according to the old guy. Held on his back too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting.

What blew me away was how excellent his cow chirping and the bugling imitations he made with his mouth without a reed are, that is crazy good.

This gentleman has most likely- been hunting all of his life and has done a whole lot of practicing that call, truly remarkable. I highly doubt that his .270 would be his first choice if he was going on an elk hunt.

I watched this video this morning and found it pretty interesting, you may as well. My only surprise is that the .338 did not rank really high, a friend of mine owns a cattle ranch, he shoots elk on his property every year and it is his favorite caliber for elk. Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/09/24.

KB

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Like most things in life it’s important to actually try something, or have experience with something, before giving recommendations. The 270 Winchester will kill elk handily. Big Elk. At long range. I killed the bull on the right at 560 yards with a 270 shooting 130gr TSX’s. He took two steps and collapsed. Is there something that would have worked better? Not in this case.

Coincidentally the one on the left was killed with a 280 AI and 140 TTSX’s. 10 grains more bullet at the same speed. Hmmmm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, there is a reason why the .300 Wing Mag is the #1 choice for Elk Hunting Guides. I will stick with my .300 Win Mag and let the women shoot the .270, for the light recoil. lol

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Trolling and making disparaging remarks does not change the fact that the 270 works on elk just fine.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Well, there is a reason why the .300 Wing Mag is the #1 choice for Elk Hunting Guides. I will stick with my .300 Win Mag and let the women shoot the .270, for the light recoil. lol

We would all love to see your bulls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to see one of yours, with you in it.

I never said it can not be done, I am saying that there way better choices.

KB

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Trolling and making disparaging remarks does not change the fact that the 270 works on elk just fine.

So true - this site is filling up with inexperienced, know-it-all trolls.

A bit over 10 years ago I was working on a ranch. It was November and elk were all over. My partner and I had permission to take a cow each, so our rifles were in the truck. This wasn't a hunt, it was a meat shoot, so we were waiting for the right opportunity to present itself to take a couple of cows close to the road. We finally got our chance, got out of the truck, each picked out a cow at 230 lasered yards on a steep hillside, and each shot simultaneously. Both cows were fairly big, and we each hit essentially the exact same spot (behind the shoulder, double lung shot). His took a couple steps, stumbled and fell. Mine did the exact same thing. It was steep enough that both cows rolled downhill quite close to the truck. My partner was shooting a 300 WM with a 180 Accubond handloaded at 3,100 fps. I was shooting a 270 with a 150 Ballistic Tip at 2,850. We recovered his Accubond under the skin on the offside, whereas the 150 ballistic tip exited. Both elk died exactly the same way, with no discernible difference.

That's real world elk killing. Hit them right with anything reasonable and they die. Use a rifle you can't shoot and it's a rodeo. Some guides "like" big rifles because often it's easier to see the clients hits. Smart guides prefer a client show up with a rifle they can actually shoot well, not one they "think" is ideal based on some internet blowhard that tells them they should be packing a 300 WM.

At the end of the day, it's the Indian not the arrow.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never met Mr. Spomer. I've never been at any event where he was speaking (at least not to my knowledge). I don't have the 1st clue about what he does or doesn't know.

Mr. Spomer's presentation style, especially in your YouTube vids sort of likens him to the subject of the embedded vid to follow in my mind's eye:

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pathfinder, you are the troll.

Still waiting to see the picture of yourself with one of your elk, a picture with you in it of course.

You have been following me around for years, I figure you are either a flaming homosexual or have an intense case of Melissophobia. I am sure a dumbfk like you will have to look up the word, to understand its meaning.

I do not know one person who hunts elk and uses a .270 for their caliber of choice. I would be willing to bet that guides that guide for elk, do not bring a .270 with them to back up their clients.

Do me a favor and pizz off, find someone else to troll!

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Still waiting to see the picture of yourself with one of your elk, a picture with you in it of course.

You have been following me around for years, I figure you are either a flaming homosexual or have an intense case of Melissophobia. I am sure a dumbfk like you will have to look up the word, to understand its meaning.

I do not know one person who hunts elk and uses a .270 for their caliber of choice. I would be willing to bet that guides that guide for elk, do not bring a .270 with them to back up their clients.

Calling you out for being deceptive is not trolling. In fact, being deceptive for effect is trolling. Not the other way around.

I have not been following you around for years. I have no idea who you are. But I do know what you are trying to represent. An agenda that suits your limited narrative and experience. Couple that with your inexcusable language and threatening PM’s and I’m not sure I want anything to do with you.

Why would posting photos of me with these Elk change anything? Here is another though. Shot with a 280 Remington. Not man enough of a cartridge for you I’m sure. Unbelievable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Up here in Alaska 270 pretty popular. I know Alaska isn’t Alberta our moose are smaller, brn bears are size of black bears 😁. Nonetheless 270 is pretty popular for sheep and moose hunting. One year we were hunting in unit 13 all 3 of us had 270’s. Unit 13 has a pretty good population of brn bears so our chances of seeing are always good. My daughter has accounted for 4-5 moose using her “gay” 270 with 150 partitions.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Lol, I've known Pathfinder for over 20 years. He's forgotten more about elk hunting than you obviously know. Aside, I've seen the 270 used on more elk kills than any other single cartridge. Mostly with C&C 130's, and I've never seen it fail, including in the hands of a friend who guided for elk on several famous Montana ranches.

You just have a confirmation bias, never having been in on the taking of elk with the 270. If you actually took five or ten elk with it you'd not be so dogmatic...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270's work fine for the distances that most people hunt at.
Use a good bullet, place it well, and get your knife ready.
The cartridges I use for elk, are not going to have the same performance, since I use shorter barrels.
Depending on the cartridge and the length of the rifle it would be compared to in the same chambering, my speeds could be from 150-200+ fps slower.
I could give you MV's if you want them.

Cartridges I have used for elk (14-18" barrel lengths)...The only 14 incher was my 25 Creedmoor (225ish yards with the Accubond in 2023).
25 Creed (110 grain) 1 big cow
260 Remington (120 grain) 1 cow and one bull
6.5-284 (140 grain)
6.5 PRC (143 grain) 1 cow
284 Winchester (140 grain)
7mm Dakota (175-200 grain)
7.82 Patriot (150 and 180 grain bullet) 2 cows
I and friends who have used my XP's, have taken the most elk with my 6.5-284 (6), 284 Winchester (6-7), and the 7mm Dakota (5)

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

Lol, I've known Pathfinder for over 20 years. He's forgotten more about elk hunting than you obviously know. Aside, I've seen the 270 used on more elk kills than any other single cartridge. Mostly with C&C 130's, and I've never seen it fail, including in the hands of a friend who guided for elk on several famous Montana ranches.

You just have a confirmation bias, never having been in on the taking of elk with the 270. If you actually took five or ten elk with it you'd not be so dogmatic...

I have taken 3 elk, only because I have done most of Elk Hunting with a Bow, which is way harder than hunting them with a rifle. On my bow hunts on thee occasions, if I had my rifle with me, I would have killed 6 by now. The truth is I hunt moose way more often than I hunt elk. Where I live your success rates on Moose are way higher, if you know what you are doing.

If I lived in let's say in Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado, I would have been focusing on Elk for sure.

So are you saying that a .270 is the preferred caliber for Elk Hunters?

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What we are saying is you have ZERO qualifications for recommending or not recommending an elk cartridge. So don’t do it or call out people who do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What we are saying is you have ZERO qualifications for recommending or not recommending an elk cartridge. So don’t do it or call out people who do.

Listen Dumfk Troll, I have not called out anyone, except you for being a troll. I was commentating on the video.

Read my initial post again, this is what I wrote:

"I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting."

Again troll, post a picture of you in the field with an elk, with you in it?

KB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.