Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Had totality for 3+ minutes. Partial not very impressive. Totality is. Was amazing to later see road that normally has maybe 200 vehicles a day be lined up almost bumper to bumper for a long time. Probably had more traffic in one four hour period than it normally does in six months.

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
11 words on the "event" 42 on traffic 🤣

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Wished it would have been clear enough to see it here. Things like this you don't get a chance every day.

When that is of no meaning to folks its kind of sad. Seeing nature do its things. Rainbows. Hail. Sleet. Sun Dogs. and so on. Just cool rare nature.

Doesn't change life any. But its cool to see when you can.

Or you can go on with city life and ignore.

Business as usual up here, no eclipse up here. Supposedly a partial eclipse but we didn’t notice anything. It was a clear sunny beautiful day.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought it was special.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KYHillChick and I drove out US 52 to Rushville, IN. I'd never been that far out 52 before. Things flatten out, and it's all crop fields. Rushville was an extremely friendly place. The first spot we stopped was The Corner Restaurant by the courthouse. Everyone knew each other and kind of dragged us right into the conversation.

I was looking for a good place to watch the eclipse. I saw and ad for an eclipse party with free food, and we drove over. It was called The West Side Bar. The eclipse party had fallen through months ago. However, things were just how one might expect at a bar in rural Indiana at 10 AM. We were taken in and treated like regulars. One guy was feeding the jukebox. He comes in from an hour out every day and plays the jukebox for a few hours and then goes on to his next stop. Luckily, his tastes were perfect for our mood. Hillchick asked for 7 Bridges Road. When it came on, everybody at the bar sang.

When the eclipse started before 2, 'Hillchick and I rolled ourselves out to the lot out back and set up our lawn chairs.

We had perfect set-up. When totality hit, Rushville went dark. The stars came out. The birds roosted in the trees. The air became thick and cool. Then it was over.

We said goodbye to everyone, hopped in the truck and drove home.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Stickfight
This performative anti-eclipse posting is sad to me. It illustrates the extent to which people have become divorced from the natural world around them and allowed their attention to be captured by the minutae of what is on television or the internet.

What a boring existence.

Great post. Was going to type much the same but you nailed it.

Basically, RAM outed himself as a bit of a douche too.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had seen a couple of partial eclipses before and they made it uncomfortable to be outside with the strange light. This one was different. We had 3.5 minutes of total in the back yard. I am glad I spent almost 4 dollars on the glasses for us to watch. It was a beautiful sight to see.

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
This performative anti-eclipse posting is sad to me. It illustrates the extent to which people have become divorced from the natural world around them and allowed their attention to be captured by the minutae of what is on television or the internet.

What a boring existence.

And the Drama Queens pair up to dance the Vulva Waltz 😴

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM
[quote=Stickfight]This performative anti-eclipse posting is sad to me. It illustrates the extent to which people have become divorced from the natural world around them and allowed their attention to be captured by the minutae of what is on television or the internet.

What a boring existence.

If you all please note how to draw out the liberal moles. Personal attack is all they have. I attacked no one. I thought the event was hyped BS to divert peoples attention. And on that it did succeed.

But why the petty kick n run personal attacks? That answer is in the mirror.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
But why the petty kick n run personal attacks?

I just wrote that people who publicly criticized the eclipse by pretending there were more important things to be doing during that time make me sad. If you feel like that is a personal attack you might want to consider that that is a you problem, possibly related to your replying to the same post twice within 12 minutes on a web forum.

But for discussion’s sake: what more important issue were you giving your attention do during the ~4.5 minute totality, and how did you affect that issue?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had partial here. I was 30' up a tower rigging chain on a windmill beneath a 44' boom, trying to get it down before the wind kicked up. Yeah, that was more important. Plus, we had a total eclipse last year which was cool, watched it through welding goggles.

Mostly, people are sick of hype, I reckon.

I do wonder just how many lovers of and wonderers at the majesty and miracle of the natural world have dandelions in their yard.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RAM
But why the petty kick n run personal attacks?

I just wrote that people who publicly criticized the eclipse by pretending there were more important things to be doing during that time make me sad. If you feel like that is a personal attack you might want to consider that that is a you problem, possibly related to your replying to the same post twice within 12 minutes on a web forum.

But for discussion’s sake: what more important issue were you giving your attention do during the ~4.5 minute totality, and how did you affect that issue?

Waiting for the next J. Olsen/Breaking News!!!
Duh!!

FJB & FJT
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
We had 3.5 minutes of totality from my front yard. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. With the cheap little throw-away glasses, I could see the corona, and orange prominences extending from the sun's rim. The sky got dark and I could see two "stars" (probably Jupiter and Venus). The horizon, all around, got darker and orange like it gets at sunset. I could also see the Bailey's beads effect and the "diamond ring" as the moon started out again.

The reason why RAM was so unimpressed is probably because he lives in Manchester, NH, which is far from the path of totality. A partial eclipse is NOTHING LIKE a total eclipse.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

He’s quite open; been out for a long time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad

What a boring existence.
Agree. Having seen a partial in no way prepares you to imagine a total eclipse. It is breathtaking, spectacular and overwhelming if are at all alive. Experiencing such an event with total strangers who also made the pilgrimage is another uplifting experience of its own. The sudden chill of total darkness. Pelicans flying around. Fish jumping and dogs fidgeting is eerie.
All of this Crash Pad^ and Stickfight is spot on too.

Yep! I agree with all of the above.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by rost495
Wished it would have been clear enough to see it here. Things like this you don't get a chance every day.

When that is of no meaning to folks its kind of sad. Seeing nature do its things. Rainbows. Hail. Sleet. Sun Dogs. and so on. Just cool rare nature.

Doesn't change life any. But its cool to see when you can.

Or you can go on with city life and ignore.

Business as usual up here, no eclipse up here. Supposedly a partial eclipse but we didn’t notice anything. It was a clear sunny beautiful day.
<10% at the tip of the panhandle.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
In Conroe, Tx, just north of Houston, it was midnight dark in a torrential downpour with the idiots on the road acting as though some mysterious event was taking place.

😡😡😡😡😡

I did not care anything about it, was an inconvenience on my 550 mile drive home. If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.

Inconvenience....first world problems - LOL

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by ihookem
It got pretty dim here in S.E. Wisconsin ... I didnt look to see it though... My cousin was in Indiana to see it and it gave them goose bumps. It cooled of a bit and the wind picked up..

And it would have without an eclipse. This had virtually zero effect on local weather. And I only say that because statistical zero doesn't exist.

Clueless is never not funny.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 16 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.