Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I read that. But you haven’t shot an elk with any rifle. How can you have an opinion? On any cartridge?

And no, I’m not posting them after the physical threats that came from you via PM. No thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I read that. But you haven’t shot an elk with any rifle. How can you have an opinion? On any cartridge?

And no, I’m not posting them after the physical threats that came from you via PM. No thanks.

Yes I have Dumbkf 2, the other I killed was with a bow.

Now can we see a picture of you with an elk that you have killed in the field? Since you have killed so many with your .270, that should not be a problem!

Not only are you a troll, you are a Liar and a coward, I never physically threatened you EVER!

We know that you never have and never will post a picture of yourself, you have the same MO on every forum you troll.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/09/24.

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Garandimal
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot...

But that IS long range HUNTING.

And the .270 Winchester, with the proper bullet, will take most things out to ~ 400 yards.

But closer is always better, to a Hunter.

GR

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I do not know one person who hunts elk and uses a .270 for their caliber of choice. I would be willing to bet that guides that guide for elk, do not bring a .270 with them to back up their clients.

I know one Alberta Moose/Elk/Deer guide along the Peace River who's rifle of choice is a 270Win BLR with factory loaded 150gn soft-points for all 3. We hunted moose with him in 2013 and man did we have fun.

Over the course of the week we talked about a lot of things and came up with 2 "Universals".

1. A Shiny new magnum rifle with a shiny new scope most assuredly needed a thorough wringing out at the range before going afield.

2. The longer the blade on the "New Moose/Elk Knife" the dumber the carrier of same was likely to be.

There was a total of 10 shots taken between 2 of us that week. 1 3-shot group each @ the range the evening before we started hunting. My friend shot his moose 2x w/his 338Win and 210TTSX's. I shot my 300Win w/200tsx and killed a running coyote off-hand @ 75ish yds and I shot my moose 1x off-hand @ 200ish yds. I would've probably shot a couple more times as he was standing there dying but, when I shot, another smaller bull stepped in front of the one I'd already shot and stood there covering his vitals until he reared up and tipped over backwards, ~10 seconds.

Last edited by horse1; 04/09/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i feel all those cartridges would work just great for any of us. i killed my biggest bull elk " B.C. 376 " shot with a bow a 45 yds ,my son`s biggest bull elk is bigger than mine , our bull`s were shot with a bow and arrow one arrow for each bull. my next big game hunt will be with a 300 Win. mag. mainly because i have owned this rifle for over 10 years ,the recoil is/was horrible so now it has a muzzle brake ,this older rifle does shoot excellent , this rifle a Remington 700 Tactical is not my favorite but it will kill game for me . enjoy your rifles,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/09/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
I do not know one person who hunts elk and uses a .270 for their caliber of choice. I would be willing to bet that guides that guide for elk, do not bring a .270 with them to back up their clients.

I know one Alberta Moose/Elk/Deer guide along the Peace River who's rifle of choice is a 270Win BLR with factory loaded 150gn soft-points for all 3. We hunted moose with him in 2013 and man did we have fun.

Over the course of the week we talked about a lot of things and came up with 2 "Universals".

1. A Shiny new magnum rifle with a shiny new scope most assuredly needed a thorough wringing out at the range before going afield.

2. The longer the blade on the "New Moose/Elk Knife" the dumber the carrier of same was likely to be.

There was a total of 10 shots taken between 2 of us that week. 1 3-shot group each @ the range the evening before we started hunting. My friend shot his moose 2x w/his 338Win and 210TTSX's. I shot my 300Win w/200tsx and killed a running coyote off-hand @ 75ish yds and I shot my moose 1x off-hand @ 200ish yds. I would've probably shot a couple more times as he was standing there dying but, when I shot, another smaller bull stepped in front of the one I'd already shot and stood there covering his vitals until he reared up and tipped over backwards, ~10 seconds.

I never said that a .270 would not kill an Elk, I have killed both Elk and Moose with my bow, so of course a .270 will kill elk, and I am sure that hundreds maybe even 1,000+ have been killed with a .270.

With that said, I believe that a .300 Win Mag is a better option and I have no plans on changing to a .270. Watch the video I posted.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must be doing it all wrong.

Kimber Montana 270 or 308 depending on mood. I'd bet both go elk hunting this year.

But I do have a Kimber 7 RM in the safe!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Yes I have Dumbkf 2, the other I killed was with a bow.

Now can we see a picture of you with an elk that you have killed in the field? Since you have killed so many with your .270, that should not be a problem!

Not only are you a troll, you are a Liar and a coward, I never physically threatened you EVER!

We know that you never have and never will post a picture of yourself, you have the same MO on every forum you troll.

Maybe I misunderstood?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
YES, I see how you conveniently blotted out the majority of my message, you must be a liberal taking lessons from Biden's DOJ. lol

What I meant by "I will pin your skanky hide to the wall" is that I would file a Forman Complaint against you with the owner of 24 hour Campfire. I filed my complaint against you 2 hours ago.

You see troll, although I have tolerated the trolling from you and your little Alberta Posse, by defending myself, I will not tolerate SLANDER.

We both know that you have been trolling for years on hunting forums and that you have posted pictures of yourself, always blotting out your face in every picture with a heavy black marker, because you are a disgusting and abject coward, as well as a lowlife troll and you do not want all of the people you have been trolling to see you, you prefer to hide in the dark.

It is one thing to have heated interactions and call people names, it's another thing to fabricate lies and to post slanderous comments about threats of violence made against you. I invite you to post the entire PM. As you know I deleted your response without reading it.

Not only are you a cowardly, lowlife troll, but you are also a pathetic example of a hunter, who only damages the people that are hunters and enjoy participating on hunting forums.

Just so you know I did not ask for you to be banned, only a pathetic slob like you would do that. I simply asked that your slanderous comment be removed, hopefully you will get a warning to stay away from me as well because I do not want to have anything to do with you.

You are most likely thrilled and overjoyed it has come to this and that by lying about me, I may get banned. Maybe that will happen and you and your Girlfriends can have a good laugh over a beer, I guess we will see. Its up to the management here.

No matter what happens I will always consider a lowlife cowardly troll and I only feel sorry for your children, that you are the example they are learning from.

Now as many here say GFY.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Why you are so angry is beyond me. But my children are just fine. lol.

I’ll happily unblot your comments above by the way.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good one Troll, first I have seen without your face inked out. And guess what, I will never look for you or try to get near you, you pathetic lowlife, scumbag.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here you go. The whole conversation. lol. Dude. Stop digging. Seriously.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I removed because I was not interested in reading your response.

Where's the physical threat?

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Really?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Really?

Ya lying lowlife, where's the physical threat?

KB

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1

I never said that a .270 would not kill an Elk, I have killed both Elk and Moose with my bow, so of course a .270 will kill elk, and I am sure that hundreds maybe even 1,000+ have been killed with a .270.

With that said, I believe that a .300 Win Mag is a better option and I have no plans on changing to a .270. Watch the video I posted.

I did watch the Vid. You said you didn't know one person who elk hunts with a 270 as their 1st choice. I was just saying that I do know someone who does, and he guides moose, elk, deer (and bear) hunters in Alberta in the Peace River country. That's all.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting.

What blew me away was how excellent his cow chirping and the bugling imitations he made with his mouth without a reed are, that is crazy good.

This gentleman has most likely- been hunting all of his life and has done a whole lot of practicing that call, truly remarkable. I highly doubt that his .270 would be his first choice if he was going on an elk hunt.

I watched this video this morning and found it pretty interesting, you may as well. My only surprise is that the .338 did not rank really high, a friend of mine owns a cattle ranch, he shoots elk on his property every year and it is his favorite caliber for elk. Cheers ~

While a .270 might not be your first choice, or mine, it is the #9 cartridge on Backfire's Top 10 list. So, clearly, with all the cartridges out there, plenty of people still use it. And there are some other cartridges in his Top 10 that are not ballistically that different from the .270 Winchester. Obviously, your beloved 300 Winchester Magnum is #1 on that list (and with good reason: it is a superb cartridge, particularly for elk). If I had to pick a cartridge to take on what for me would be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt (not many elk out in my neck of the woods, but they have recently been opened up for hunting in my state), I would bring my father's Browning 7mm Remington Magnum. Why that rifle? Because it's already in my family and I know it is incredibly accurate. Edit - but that’s really neither here nor there. The goal with any hunt is to have a cartridge, bullet, and rifle combination that will cover the majority of the situations you are likely to encounter. And based on the Backfire video you linked, out West that means having the potential to take an ethical shot quite far out there.

I also have to respect the guy for stalking up to where he felt it was more ethical than taking the risk that a change in the wind would result in a bad shot, particularly using a cup-and-core bullet. I understand his concern that he had to carefully place the shot with that bullet to hit behind the shoulder. And I was impressed with his discipline and ethical concern for potentially hitting a cow.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 04/09/24.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting.

What blew me away was how excellent his cow chirping and the bugling imitations he made with his mouth without a reed are, that is crazy good.

This gentleman has most likely- been hunting all of his life and has done a whole lot of practicing that call, truly remarkable. I highly doubt that his .270 would be his first choice if he was going on an elk hunt.

I watched this video this morning and found it pretty interesting, you may as well. My only surprise is that the .338 did not rank really high, a friend of mine owns a cattle ranch, he shoots elk on his property every year and it is his favorite caliber for elk. Cheers ~

While a .270 might not be your first choice, or mine, it is the #9 cartridge on Backfire's Top 10 list. So, clearly, with all the cartridges out there, plenty of people still use it. And there are some other cartridges in his Top 10 that are not ballistically that different from the .270 Winchester. Obviously, your beloved 300 Winchester Magnum is #1 on that list (and with good reason: it is a superb cartridge, particularly for elk). If I had to pick a cartridge to take on what for me would be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt (not many elk out in my neck of the woods, but they have recently been opened up for hunting in my state), I would bring my father's Browning 7mm Remington Magnum. Why that rifle? Because it's already in my family and I know it is incredibly accurate.

I also have to respect the guy for stalking up to where he felt it was more ethical than taking the risk that a change in the wind would result in a bad shot, particularly using a cup-and-core bullet. I appreciate that his concern that had to carefully place the shot with that bullet to hit behind the shoulder. And I was impressed with his discipline and ethical concern for potentially hitting a cow.

I was impressed with his ethics as well.

KB

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pathfinder76,
Beautiful family and beautiful animals. Well done, sir.

KillerBee,
What does one have to do to get kicked off of Canadian outdoors forum?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Use the language he uses here.

And thanks!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.