-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL lots of people with advice that aint that good to basically useless. drywall people are a PITA for me to get in a timely manner to fix something, so I just learned to fix small things myself by asking a ton of questions and watching my best drywall repair guy. first off, you need to mesh tape the joints. YOU HAVE NO MESH TAPE OR ANY TAPE ON THEM. mesh tape has a mild stick on one side. pick up some(home depot) along with some easy sand 20 drywall mud. powdered mix is whats called "Hot Mud" in the business.

anyways apply the easy sand 20 with a 6" taping knife over the joints. Hot mud is pretty easy to shape and form, other muds you have to just slap them on and leave them alone and not be able to play with the mud. I would let it dry overnight if you can. The followup with a 10" knife and another coat. this should really make it look quite a bit better. let dry again. maybe a bit of sanding. Then a 12 knife with topping mud for a final coat.

Hot mud leaves a ruffer coat that doesn't take paint as well, that is why is better to use a topping or a plus 3 or all purpose for the final coat if you want it smooth.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A good taper can fix that, the drywall patch is good to go.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Carve that high egde area all out. Mud it with 20 minute to fill flush, then tape all seams and mud. 20, 45, or 90 on all coats except the last skim coat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny
Every Drywall guy I have asked said mesh tape is chit.
The only joints I have ever had failed were with the mesh. That is the joints cracked.
Yes is sticky and great for home owners(NOT) because its easy. Problem for one is that not enough mud gets under and to the joint and if you pre mud then the stick doesn’t work. Go to a new job sight and tell me how many drywall guys use mesh. I doubt you will find one. They don’t make $$ on redo’s
I use hot mud as it has its uses. But floating that large of area is not one of them in my opinion. It will start to set and if worked it will pull and leave divots. Regular mud can definitely be worked and I do thinner coats to reduce sanding.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Funny
Every Drywall guy I have asked said mesh tape is chit.
The only joints I have ever had failed were with the mesh. That is the joints cracked.
Yes is sticky and great for home owners(NOT) because its easy. Problem for one is that not enough mud gets under and to the joint and if you pre mud then the stick doesn’t work. Go to a new job sight and tell me how many drywall guys use mesh. I doubt you will find one. They don’t make $$ on redo’s
I use hot mud as it has its uses. But floating that large of area is not one of them in my opinion. It will start to set and if worked it will pull and leave divots. Regular mud can definitely be worked and I do thinner coats to reduce sanding.
'
I've seen some pros use mesh tape but I've seen a lot more use paper tape.
I would not recommend hot mud to a rookie.
The good thing about drywall repair is that it's basically easy.
The tricks of the trade make it go easier and help you turn out a better job.

The tedious thing would be to go through this thread and pick out just the good tips and tricks.

LOL

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow response. I've been crazy busy the past few days and haven't done anything else with this other than throw some primer over it to hopefully brown paper part of it so hopefully the mud will stick to it.

That said, I know I need tape and I plan to use it. I have some, I just did a prefill with the Quick Set to fill in the gaps prior to applying the mud and tape. I'm hoping I'm not going to have problems getting the mud and tape to stick over the primer, but I've read mixed things online. The other side of the existing drywall is painted though, so it doesn't make much sense to me that it wouldn't stick over the paint.

I think my next course of action is going to be to get the next layer of mud and tape on, then attempt to feather it out. I got a 12" knife to work with.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,764
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.