Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We had 3.5 minutes of totality from my front yard. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. With the cheap little throw-away glasses, I could see the corona, and orange prominences extending from the sun's rim. The sky got dark and I could see two "stars" (probably Jupiter and Venus). The horizon, all around, got darker and orange like it gets at sunset. I could also see the Bailey's beads effect and the "diamond ring" as the moon started out again.

The reason why RAM was so unimpressed is probably because he lives in Manchester, NH, which is far from the path of totality. A partial eclipse is NOTHING LIKE a total eclipse.

And the personal attack continues .......

LOL, that was anything but a personal attack.

You play the victim card like a pro though, must've had a lot of practice.

There now, that was a personal attack, feel better?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been under 3 partial eclipses in my 65 years. I would have to say they were somewhat underwhelming. However, I knew this one was special, and I only had to drive an hour to be under complete totality for close to 4 minutes. The result was worth the effort.

I cannot explain the visceral experience, but when totality hit, I felt it. When I took off my glasses, there was a single Bailey's Bead poking out the bottom of the moon. That little red pinpoint was something I'd never seen with my own eyes, and chances are that I'll never see it again. At 65, seeing something like that puts things in perspective. It was one of those "This is THIS!" moments.

Then again, we'd spent 4 hours in a bar prior to this. There were people who didn't bother to leave their barstools to come out and watch.

Where would I rank this? It's probably somewhere between watching my sons being born and watching Pete Rose steal home in the All-Star Game. It's right up there with seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time or seeing my first funnel cloud. It doesn't compare to being blown out of bed by lightning, or catching a near miss in the woods. The latter two I would gladly pass on if the opportunity arose again. I would put the level of excitement to having a gobbler come up your backside and do a spit and drum in your ear.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was cool

It interrupted work and probably cost employers billions

BTW....an eclipse happen every 1 to 3 years somewhere

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
[quote=Stickfight]This performative anti-eclipse posting is sad to me. It illustrates the extent to which people have become divorced from the natural world around them and allowed their attention to be captured by the minutae of what is on television or the internet.

What a boring existence.

Great post. Was going to type much the same but you nailed it.

Basically, RAM outed himself as a bit of a douche too.

If you all please note how to draw out the liberal moles. Personal attack is all they have. I attacked no one. I thought the event was hyped BS to divert peoples attention. And on that it did succeed.

But why the petty kick n run personal attacks? That answer is in the mirror.

That wasnt a very good retort.

You arent good at this.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RAM
needs an enema. Certainly this board does. It's become a home for haters. All hate, no brains and lots of mouth.

The irony runs deep.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
it would have without an eclipse. This had virtually zero effect on local weather. And I only say that because statistical zero doesn't exist.

Have you never been outside your house. There can be 10 degrees difference between sunlight and shade under a tree. The temperature will drop temporarily when the sun is behind a cloud which only blocks a small portion of the sunlight. It's a proven fact that temps drops gradually drop during the hour or so leading up to the full eclipse then quickly drop a couple more degrees during the 2-4 minutes of totality. They then gradually warm up again during the next hour or so as the sun is uncovered.

I understand your skepticism. I've seen a few partial eclipses in my life that were in the 90% range. I too was underwhelmed until I saw my 1st Total Eclipse. Even then at 99% when I could only see a tiny sliver of the sun looking through eye protection there was very little difference on the ground. But when that last tiny sliver goes away it is literally like someone flipped a switch and the lights go out.

Depending on where you are that could only last a few seconds or up to 5 minutes. We were in the dark for just under 4 this time. When it comes back it's the same way. Not gradually but like someone flipped a switch. The difference between 99% and 0% blockage on either side of the eclipse does take about an hour, is slow and hardly noticeable.

We were fortunate to only have to drive about 2 hours in 2017. The one last Fall wasn't a full eclipse, only a partial and we didn't travel to see it. Not worth it for a partial. The next Total Eclipse in the USA isn't until 2044 and will only be visible in parts of Montana and North Dakota. This was my only chance to take my grandkids and experience it with them. I may not be alive in 20 years and they will all be adults with kids and may not able to make the trip. Was worth the expense.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Definitely a display of the power of God.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No matter the event the 'fire always has its share of naysayers/attention seekers and others who need to get a life.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunswizard
No matter the event the 'fire always has its share of naysayers/attention seekers and others who need to get a life.
Quoted for the irony.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.