Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
I agree that faith requires a certain suspension of rational thought and an effort to entertain the possibilities and accuracy of the recorded history- especially in the religious realm.Bob

It seems you are not familiar with legal historical evidence. There is no "suspension of rational thought" necessary to believe historical records. Reasonable people accept the fact of the American Revolution, and yet none of us or our parents were alive to witness it. Same goes for the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. Prior to the printing press there is more written about these events than anything else. Many by eyewitnesses or people who were taught by eyewitnesses. Because some of these eye witnesses' stories were canonized does in no way diminish their truthfulness.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that faith requires a certain suspension of rational thought and an effort to entertain the possibilities and accuracy of the recorded history- especially in the religious realm.
Originally Posted by Ringman
It seems you are not familiar with legal historical evidence. There is no "suspension of rational thought" necessary to believe historical records. Reasonable people accept the fact of the American Revolution, and yet none of us or our parents were alive to witness it. Same goes for the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. Prior to the printing press there is more written about these events than anything else. Many by eyewitnesses or people who were taught by eyewitnesses. Because some of these eye witnesses' stories were canonized does in no way diminish their truthfulness.
And the American Revolution is still being written about today. And no one doubts the accuracy or validity of the historical record. The atheist mantra that we’ve seen ad nauseam on these types of threads of, “the New Testament manuscripts were written by anonymous authors decades after the events”…as if that somehow denigrates the accuracy of those historical narratives…is nothing more than a pitiful attempt to add some legitimacy to their already weak position, and it fails entirely and completely and thoroughly.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by antlers
“Logical fallacy of special pleading.”
“Pascal’s wager.”
etc.

lol

Do you have any original thoughts on this matter…?

You have clearly chosen to deny the abundant evidence that all of creation provides for a Creator.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
My position is simple.
It most definitely is. You don’t want there to be a God. Period.

The point to logic isn't to be original. One applies logic to separate good forms of reasoning with bad forms of reasoning.

Whether on wants there to be a God or not is irrelevant to if there is one or not. (this is an Attacking the Motive fallacy)

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Does it matter?
Dude

of course it does.

It gives the Campfire one more topic to argue about.

I already said it: Stihl is the best!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Does it matter?
Dude

of course it does.

Beans

Ford

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s not logical, at all, for one to still deny the truth about something, when one knows for a fact and without a doubt that the matter at hand is true.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I agree that faith requires a certain suspension of rational thought and an effort to entertain the possibilities and accuracy of the recorded history- especially in the religious realm.
Originally Posted by Ringman
And the American Revolution is still being written about today. And no one doubts the accuracy or validity of the historical record. The atheist mantra that we’ve seen ad nauseam on these types of threads of, “the New Testament manuscripts were written by anonymous authors decades after the events”…as if that somehow denigrates the accuracy of those historical narratives…is nothing more than a pitiful attempt to add some legitimacy to their already weak position, and it fails entirely and completely and thoroughly.

Many stories about the Founding Fathers, Civil War and old are doubted and re-evaluated on a regular basis. As an example, the story of George Washington chopping down the Cherry Tree is now generally considered to be untrue.

And that's just us doubting an alleged mandate event a mere 250 years ago, not an alleged supernatural being returning from the dead 2000 years ago.

So not only are some events surrounding our founders in doubt, you're also drawing a false equivalency.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It’s not logical, at all, for one to still deny the truth about something, when one knows for a fact and without a doubt that the matter at hand is true.

Now you're a mind reader and "know" what's in the mind of others?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Does it matter?
Dude

of course it does.

Beans

Ford

WRONG!!!! Yes to the Ford and .270, but NO BEANS! AND NO ICE CUBES EITHER!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Does it matter?
Dude

of course it does.

Beans

Ford

You're all heretics I say, heretics, to be burned at the stake along with the witches.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But we’re talking about the American Revolution…a BIG deal…not a child George Washington chopping down a tree.

The American Revolution happened. Despite differences in minor details told by multiple historians over the last 248 years.

The Titanic sank. Despite some eyewitnesses saying it broke in half first, and other eyewitnesses saying it didn’t.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you knew without a doubt that Christianity was true, would you become a Christian…?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does it matter?
Dude

of course it does.

WRONG!!!! It’s Echo

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Hastings
Does it matter?
Dude

of course it does.

WRONG!!!! It’s Echo

Heresy! Only commies use Echos!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you knew without a doubt that Christianity was true, would you become a Christian…?

I know you intended that as a "gotcha" question, but that aside, I hope you don't think it's a simple question, but if you do, you're not the deep thinker I hoped you were.

If you know anything about philosophy at all, you should know there's only one think we can know "without a doubt", which is, "I think therefore I am". Everything beyond that has some level of doubt.

"That Christianity was true", so true in what sense, which Christianity, and as we've already discussed, there's no singular definition of "Christian".

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but if you want better answers, try asking better questions.

Regardless, let me help you out. To the extent possible, my beliefs are based on evidence, logic and reason. I approach problems with a healthily level of practical skepticism, and after reaching a conclusion generally ask myself "How can I be wrong", and weigh likelihoods.

If you have good, convincing evidence that in some sense, some version of Christianity is in some sense true, I'm open to your argument, but thus far once you dump out all the fallacal arguments all I see is an empty sack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’re spewing hot air. Nothing more.

Your position clearly has ZERO to do with logic or reason or evidence or science or truth. Your position is clearly a matter of the heart.

Thanks for making crystal clear what many of us here have suspected or known all along.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
But we’re talking about the American Revolution…a BIG deal…not a child George Washington chopping down a tree.

The American Revolution happened. Despite differences in minor details told by multiple historians over the last 248 years.

The Titanic sank. Despite some eyewitnesses saying it broke in half first, and other eyewitnesses saying it didn’t.

Nobody's claiming Molly Brown is the daughter of Aphrodite, drown in the icy North Atlantic, was resurrected 3 days later by John Jacob Astor IV, and now they answer prayers and save souls, and you can live with them forever in paradise.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You’re spewing hot air. Nothing more.

Your position clearly has ZERO to do with logic or reason or evidence or science or truth. Your position is clearly a matter of the heart.

Thanks for making crystal clear what many of us here have suspected or known all along.

Dude,

Pour yourself a couple finders of good bourbon, perhaps something from Applejacks. Drop a couple Ice cubes in it, but the must be made of water form a Norwegian glacier, and relax a bit.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Again, salvation isn’t based on whether or not one believes anything that was written in the Old Testament, literally or figuratively.

But it is based on believing in the Gospel.

As long as one acknowledges that Jesus died for the sins of everyone and rose from the dead, and one accepts God’s gift of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus alone, then they’re good to go. Period.

You have a choice. God will honor your choice. You can choose to spend eternity in His presence. It’s easy. It’s simple. Nothing complicated about it. At all. Or you can choose to ‘not’ spend eternity in His presence. The choice is yours.

If he doesn't exist, it's an empty choice.
If it's an empty choice, and you chose to not spend eternity in his presence, you better be right. Posted this on here years ago and think about it often. I was in Virginia once and at a gas station....an old gentleman came out to get in his real old pickup....had a pair of overalls on...old straw had. As he got in his truck and turned around...I saw an old license plate on the front bumper...it said.."When you die and believe there is no God...you better be right." Think about that often.

Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1OntarioJim, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,940
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.