Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
If I had read this yesterday, I would have expected photos of someone’s colonoscophy, but it’s 2 April and it’s Al posting so I knew it would be good stuff!

We truly live in a golden age when we can get a chronograph for ~$500 and a borescope for $200 when these just a number of years ago were beyond the reach of the average sportsman.

And even greater than that is the access to just about any expert at any level. For us, that’s folks like Al, Mule Deer, Scenarshooter, Eric Cortina, and George Gardner just to name a few.

We are truly blessed.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wonder if you can save some $$$$ and do your own colonoscopy?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha! The borescopes I've used have all come with a warning not to "insert" them into any human orifice. (Which reminds me of the warning that came with our first cordless phone--not cell phone--many years ago, which came with a warning not to use the cradle as an ashtray....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A good bore scope can show you a lot of stuff that you can't do a damn thing about!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
A good bore scope can show you a lot of stuff that you can't do a damn thing about!
Which kind of polyps are you talking about?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I wonder if you can save some $$$$ and do your own colonoscopy?

Borescope streaming to the big-screen? Check

Ex-Lax? Check

Air Compressor? Check

You first.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Well, I have met a lot of people that walk around with their heads up their arses-----so no need for a bore scope.

Call it a Birds Eye View!

Hip

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
This thread sure went in a "direction" I never expected!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
because i have had a bore scope a long time and my friend Greg the machinist does too we both have looked at even new barrels that have not been shot yet . my question for the guys that use their bore scopes has anyone else check out new barrels too ? i have done some very expensive barrels that looked great but did not shot that good sometimes ,i also also have checked out some new cheap rifles like Savage barrels they look rough inside barrel channel but they shoot great ? another friend brought a very expensive rifle from North Dakota and his rifle could hardly shoot an 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards, i purchased the same size cartridge in a cheap Savage both were 300 WSM and with the same ammo mine shot 3/4 inch at 100 yards . we looked thru both barrels with my bore scope his looked very nice my Savage barrel looked rough but it sure shot better. so sometimes ya the bore scope shows how well the channel looks but doesn`t always tell you how well the barrel will shoot. greg the machinist also has done some complicated measuring and using his bore scope to checked out new barrels that have come from barrel manufactures he now only uses two different brand barrels for himself but if someone brings in a different brand barrel he will install that barrel for them. i only use the barrels he recommends now too and i have had some great accurate barrels that Greg has done the machining on and installed. Pete53 > and those Savage rifles are a real mystery on how well those cheap rifles shoot right out of the box ???? as are the new cheap Ruger rifles ?????

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When new barrels hit my door, they get bore scoped as soon as possible. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked up a set of mirrors for my Telsong for $15.They give you a lot better view than the ones that came with the unit,especially when your looking at the larger bores.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For the most part. A bore scope won't even give you a suggestion as to whether a rifle will shoot good or not unless there are glaring issues

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's the reason to bore scope a new barrel. This is a new one for this season.....the defect was about 1/4" back from where I wanted the muzzle to be. crazy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Have seen things even worse in factory barrels. Probably mentioned one long ago in one of these threads: A major manufacturer's .300 Winchester Magnum barrel that had the lands totally missing about 1-1/2" from the the muzzle, probably due to reamer malfunction. The rifle wouldn't group better than 2" at 100 with any ammo until it was shortened enough to remove that "gap," and recrowned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Scoped the bore on my new Remarms Rem 700 Long Range 300 Win Mag 5R.I haven't got to shoot it yet,but it looks good to me.

Those are great view of the canted side of the rifling on a 5R barrel. smile Hope it shoots well for you.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I bought a borescope last winter for curiosity Sake. I have a barrel my brother wore out on his benchrest rifle. It looks like a bad gravel road after cleaning. It shoots 5 into less than half inch with 80 grainers.
Yesterday I loaded up 5 105 barts bullets just to see how it shot. The group with cold bore was .365 and without cold bore the 4 shots were .185.
It’s shoots better than the nice looking barrels. Kinda funny after looking at the bore. It’s a 6 br by the way. Edk

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes....bad looking doesn't necessarily mean bad shooting. wink All I expect either borescope to do is:

(1) Identify a significant defect in a barrel
(2) Qualify my cleaning process
(3) Help monitor the crowns condition

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
friend purchased a new Remington 700 and came over to show me this barrel was threaded fine but the rifle had never been chambered it was flat in the back. on the barrel and yes Remington chambered his rifle.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What do you expect from a new owner...perfection??

There`s a learning curve ya know.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
friend purchased a new Remington 700 and came over to show me this barrel was threaded fine but the rifle had never been chambered it was flat in the back. on the barrel and yes Remington chambered his rifle.

That's a good one! I like a flat tenon on a 700 (no bolt nose counterbore) for several reasons. But they do have chambers in there! grin -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,921
Posts18,479,766
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.