Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bald Eagle rear bags with rabbit ears ,yes expensive but these bald Eagle rests are very good.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a couple Protektor bags, also Edgewood. they make a nice bag but is more expensive, stay away from the Caldwell stuff IMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have a couple Protektor bags, also Edgewood. they make a nice bag but is more expensive, stay away from the Caldwell stuff IMO
I agree on caldwell, I recently bought a caldwell tackdriver bag rest for shooting off a truck hood etc. Its pretty well made so far. the rest of their stuff is pretty junky

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A shot bag filled with dry lentils is very stable, easy to use, and not too heavy. I'm not prone to being anal about this all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Wrapids
A shot bag filled with dry lentils is very stable, easy to use, and not too heavy. I'm not prone to being anal about this all.

One of my buddies that lives in Wa, fills up old crown royal bags with lentils. He shoots damn well. He's funny. He will bring out his old Stevens 200 223 rem, and old home built front rest, and that crown royal rear bag, and do some serious azz kicking. You know that old saying, "root for the underdog"? When he's on the line with that rifle, that's exactly what it reminds me of, but you can't judge a book by its cover. He'll put 10 shots into the X ring just about every time with that set up. I love shooting against that guy. If he shoots over a 5/8" 10 shot group, he's having a bad day..

Like I said, this topic gets brought up on occasion here. The main thing is find what works for you. That doesn't mean it needs to be expensive or fancy or name branded. It's got to be stable, comfortable, and allow the rifle to rest solid enough that your shots stay on target. What works for some, may not work for others.

Oh, did the guy that only shoots benchrest rifles chime in yet? ha ha. That's one that thinks you need a front rest with a gear shifter on it too. The kind that costs more than most of us spend on a rifle. To each their own. But as I always say, the proof is on the target..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You mean, like this one?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
grin nice

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave7mm
You mean, like this one?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

dave

Dave, Dave, Dave.......dontcha' know that if you hang a picture of a rifle sitting on anything more than a $14.95 Hoppe's orange front rest you're considered an elitist? grin

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Careful Al, you may make BSA photo-vomit. 😂

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
Careful Al, you may make BSA photo-vomit. 😂

Burp........ grin
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice shooting recently with your Palma stuff, Mike....congrats, sir. cool

Good shootin' -Al

P.S. You can just make out the JB Weld on the sides of the rear bag bottom. It's pretty "elitist" stuff. grin

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Got you beat Al. Mine is a black leather bag that I got from Gander Mountain in the mid ‘70s. I filled it with sand from a beach in Hawaii but years ago a swivel stud on my 7mm Wby ripped a small hole in it so I wrapped it in duct tape and it’s still going strong although it does leak a little Hawaiian sand now and then. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have several rear bags (and front t bags, and other stuff) due to manufacturers sending me samples to test for possivle reviews. But just checked my range bag and the rear bag inside is a protektor....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Depends......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like that silver slippery stuff Protektor uses because I don't have to worry about running out/forgetting baby powder.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by aalf

Depends......

Do you fill up the Depends first?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I just picked up a Protektor 13b, I like it most bigly. I added some grip tape to the bottom of mine to keep it from sliding on the bench.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Depends......

Al, that mechanical rear bag makes you a super-elitist. shocked The only thing saving you from ultra-super-elitistdom is that the front rest doesn't have a Kenworth shifter handle.

Hope all is well with 'ya. smile

Forbidden Zoner
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
[b][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You probably oughta stick a half-dozen or so bubble-levels on that thing. In fact, you should re-do the bases so each foot could be surrounded by a gaggle of circle bubbles. Or, better yet, make the rest-tops and rifle-slides out of steel and ride the whole works on opposed magnets like a Japanese bullet train.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Depends......

Al, that mechanical rear bag makes you a super-elitist. shocked The only thing saving you from ultra-super-elitistdom is that the front rest doesn't have a Kenworth shifter handle.

Hope all is well with 'ya. smile

Doing fine buddy, back at ya....

That big bastard is/was all about tracking.......no need for a Hurst if the stars align.

After three years or so, I sent it down the road, as it was a huge PITA to haul around. I built a coffin for the ride in the truck, and needed a 4'x2' garden cart to haul everything to the line as I carried the gun. The stock was cast aluminum and stainless steel, 8" front width, 3" on the rear, with the barrel block, weighed in at 42 pounds by itself. 30" barrels were 1.45" straight, and over 13 pounds a piece. 62 pounds all in, so minimal recoil in the Dasher.

Seems most benches aren't level, so being somewhere close to level on the gun is fine, but I feel return to POA after recoil is more important. A lot of guys struggle getting bags and rests in a straight line, which gives them no chance to shoot fast when they have to fight the gun after every shot. Shifters help with that, but it doesn't address the true issues of alignment.

For BR, I use teflon tape on the stocks front & rear, keep it waxed with car wax, and spray the bags with silicon. Tall ears tend to sag, & get in the way of cheek pieces, so I prefer the longer medium sized ears, filled with heavy sand, and a thick, flat bottom keeps them from rocking, w/o resorting to a donut.

If lighter weight & portability is the main focus, my 1st pic is a Bald Eagle filled with regular sand, and I glued on a thicker piece of leather on the bottom. Sits dead flat, & easily moves around for shooting prairie dogs with a bipod on the front, giving up little in accuracy for that endeavor.

The Protektor bag in the 3rd & 4th pic is the do everything else bag, plinking, playing, and load work. Again, modified bottom & filled with heavy sand. If I were to order a new bag, I would get this one with medium ears, and angled top, not flat top like this one, which would follow the angle of most butt stocks better. Probably would fill with regular sand, as it's big enough to stay put w/o the extra weight of heavy sand.

If money was an issue, I'd rather spend it on a good front rest & a half assed bag, than a Caldwell rest & Protektor/Edgewood rear bag.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Protektor bag in the 3rd & 4th pic is the do everything else bag, plinking, playing, and load work. Again, modified bottom & filled with heavy sand. If I were to order a new bag, I would get this one with medium ears, and angled top, not flat top like this one, which would follow the angle of most butt stocks better. Probably would fill with regular sand, as it's big enough to stay put w/o the extra weight of heavy sand.

If money was an issue, I'd rather spend it on a good front rest & a half assed bag, than a Caldwell rest & Protektor/Edgewood rear bag.

Your last paragraph is something shooters should really grasp on to. 👍

Good shootin' 😀 -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.