Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm a subscriber to the Backfire channel. I saw these vids as they were published, and thought they might be worth sharing here.

In the first vid, released about a month ago, A guy got humbled pretty good, after believing he would shoot 100% hits. It comes across as a good reality check for anybody who has mastered the 'theory' of LR shooting, but has little field experience,

In the more recent vid, a few experienced shooters step up to the plate, and give it a go,

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm a subscriber to the Backfire channel. I saw these vids as they were published, and thought they might be worth sharing here.

In the first vid, released about a month ago, A guy got humbled pretty good, after believing he would shoot 100% hits. It comes across as a good reality check for anybody who has mastered the 'theory' of LR shooting, but has little field experience,

In the more recent vid, a few experienced shooters step up to the plate, and give it a go,

In the first vid, I saw a ton of misses to the left. If you go to 5:22 and look at his zero target, his group is about .75 moa left. That was part of what was killing him at distance.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the first vid, I saw a ton of misses to the left. If you go to 5:22 and look at his zero target, his group is about .75 moa left. That was part of what was killing him at distance.

That and peeking over the top of the scope before the gun went off. I'm guilty of that when I get recoil fatigue. I also do it if I allow myself to be rushed, but, I add in yanking the trigger and rolling my shoulder into recoil. It's the "I'm gonna miss trifecta".

Last edited by horse1; 04/09/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by horse1

That and peeking over the top of the scope before the gun went off. I'm guilty of that when I get recoil fatigue. I also do it if I allow myself to be rushed, but, I add in yanking the trigger and rolling my shoulder into recoil. It's the "I'm gonna miss trifecta".

I can see that.

I still like my heavy-ish 308s, with muzzle brakes.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went right to the second video and quit watching after about 90 seconds when the dude shooting is obviously so much of a rookie that he has no clue how to fire a rifle from prone

No rear bag and left hand on the fore end

Pathetic

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The three guys never claimed to be expert shooters. Just volunteers.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The three guys never claimed to be expert shooters. Just volunteers.

Yeah, I don't have any condescension toward them at all. They were willing to test themselves very publicly. There's always something to learn from seeing others in challenging conditions.

I'm not a long range hunter, but I do enjoy the long range shooting. In field conditions, getting good range data, and building a steady position are really important. I always use a beanbag aft.

Also I always wear long sleeves, and carry elbow pads in my kit. Hard to be comfortable when your elbows are bleeding from rocks, cactus, etc.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Generally I have a 9-13" Harris up front, but I also have a 13-25" in my kit. The tall bipod is a quick swap, and really nice in forward slope situations, or getting above vegetation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Shot my 308/175 @ 500 last month at a 10" plate. Dialed the number, first shot cold bore hit. Thought this is gonna be too easy. Then the wind went 15+ mph. Thought again, I can deal with this.
But the wind had other ideas as it couldn't decide what direction to go & I got my ass kicked.

Laser ranging, good ballistic charts, predictable scope adjustments can make anybody a star,,,, on a calm day. But Mr. wind separates the men from the boys.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shooting Long Range is my hobby in the off season, anyone can dial up but the wind is voodoo, learning the wind is a full time job, but it's fun when you get it. Rio7

Last edited by RIO7; 04/10/24.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The wind is the great equalizer. It doesn't care how much you spent on your rifle, optics, or any other gizmos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the video with the guy at the bench shooting 10 jugs, I see him put his left hand (a few fingers) over the butt in front of his cheek weld. Interesting. I have never seen this form. Can someone elaborate? Does this work well with harder kicking rifles? I would like to see this form up closer if anyone has a link.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Was on the way over here to post this.

Long Range Hunting - without the concrete bench and Lead-Sled.

Reality - is.

[.270 Winchester laughing]

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was interesting. I've done some simulated shooting like that and for me, I'm not cool past 400 under about any scenario. Prone, rock steady, no wind, I'd feel pretty fairly confident but given all the varying positions and angles, I'm a watcher, not a shooter. I know guys that could prob do better than the 4 guys in both the videos but I'm not one of them. Keep everything sub 200 and it gets way easier grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I saw that video a little while back. It's an excellent example of the lies a lot of us tell ourselves.

I really enjoy shooting out to 1000 yards (about as far as I can get) but I've realized about 450 and in is where I can consistently make hits in field conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just gonna leave this here.

Good rifle. Good scope. Lots of practice.

Nobody in Backfires videos has any of that stuff.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think it had to be a factory rifle, didn't it?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I think it had to be a factory rifle, didn't it?

LOL.

Why?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
I saw that video a little while back. It's an excellent example of the lies a lot of us tell ourselves.

I really enjoy shooting out to 1000 yards (about as far as I can get) but I've realized about 450 and in is where I can consistently make hits in field conditions.

It may be "lies", for some guys that don't shoot that far very often. A lot of guys have a hard time shooting 100 yards. Then again, there are a lot of guys I know that don't have any issue at all shooting at 600 yards. As an example, one of the targets I shoot at, in competition, is a rabbit silhouette at 611 yards. No rear rest and from the prone, off a pack or bipod. 400-500 yards is short range, for some guys. That's where I set the steel chucks at, and they are only 3" wide. At 400 yards, a good shooter and rifle should produce sub 1" groups. Even most of my hunting rifles will shoot 2" groups at 400 yards. It's really not that far of a shot, if you are set up right.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.