Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
A couple nights ago, I got tired of throwing charges of H4831, and then adjusting them on the RCBS 10-10. So about midnight I started searching for an electronic powder measure.

I had some Cabelas credit, and eventually ended up looking there. As I completed the order, the discount code bar auto completed with a $60 discount on a $400 purchase of RCBS Chargemaster Supreme. (discount good through April)

They also shipped 2'nd day at no cost.

After opening the box, I usedd it to load a hundred each 6 mm Rem and 257 Roberts with +/- 50 gr of H4831. The old antique stuff in the square paper cans.

Damn, I should have bought one of these many years ago.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB4

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Good to know

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's a good deal. I love my chargemaster

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dude270
That's a good deal. I love my chargemaster

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A longtime friend's daughter gave me virtually all his reloading equipment and supplies after he passed away, and wouldn't let me pay her for any of it. A nearly new Chargemaster was included. Thanks, Mark! I remember you every time I use that stuff!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
A couple nights ago, I got tired of throwing charges of H4831, and then adjusting them on the RCBS 10-10. So about midnight I started searching for an electronic powder measure.

I had some Cabelas credit, and eventually ended up looking there. As I completed the order, the discount code bar auto completed with a $60 discount on a $400 purchase of RCBS Chargemaster Supreme. (discount good through April)

They also shipped 2'nd day at no cost.

After opening the box, I usedd it to load a hundred each 6 mm Rem and 257 Roberts with +/- 50 gr of H4831. The old antique stuff in the square paper cans.

Damn, I should have bought one of these many years ago.

I think your last sentence is probably the same thought that everybody has when they buy an electric powder scale.
I have an RCBS Lite- it's worth its weight in gold.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought one and used it once and went back to my 10-10. It's still sitting on the bench so maybe I should try it again. It just seemed too slow. I can move a lot faster using one of my powder measures and a trickler.

Bb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good products. I got extremely frustrated with a cheap Hornady electronic dispenser constantly overthrowing charges no matter how much I slowed it down, it was unbearable. Out of pure frustration I bought the fanciest newfangled one (at the time) RCBS MatchMaster. Buy once, cry once. Worth every penny.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I used a Chargemaster exclusively... when I bulk reloaded 5-10 years ago...

I had it set up so I could seat a primer (on another case) as well as seat a bullet (previously charged two before)... in the time it took the Chargemaster to throw 43.5 grains for the third round...

The only caveat was to not touch the table for the final two grains.

Very fast for me.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I bought one and used it once and went back to my 10-10. It's still sitting on the bench so maybe I should try it again. It just seemed too slow. I can move a lot faster using one of my powder measures and a trickler.

Bb

This x 1000

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Bb

Personally, speed of loading is not a consideration. I just do NOT trust electronics. I use a single stage press, RCBS Rockchucker. Had it since the 70's. I have a uniflow powder charger. I set it to throw less than the amount I need and trickle every single charge into my scale. It is just me and I don't load the volume of many here.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one, works well! It’s nice to be out of the dark ages. I had it for a couple of years before I dug it out, started using it. I’m a Dumass!!! I use the little piece of McDonald’s straw, helps it work even better.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Bb

Personally, speed of loading is not a consideration. I just do NOT trust electronics. I use a single stage press, RCBS Rockchucker. Had it since the 70's. I have a uniflow powder charger. I set it to throw less than the amount I need and trickle every single charge into my scale. It is just me and I don't load the volume of many here.

I didn’t either, but it really works well!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have the old one.

It was a piece of crap until RiverRider taught me how to desolder and then solder up connections in the unit.

They were soldered poorly at the factory.

Unless the new ones are twice as fast....I wouldn't spend the money again.

About the only thing they are handy for is load development.

If I am loading more than say 20 rounds....I will throw the charges.

With a baffle and consistency, a powder measure is twice as fast and just as accurate.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
I have one, works well! It’s nice to be out of the dark ages. I had it for a couple of years before I dug it out, started using it. I’m a Dumass!!! I use the little piece of McDonald’s straw, helps it work even better.
What is the straw trick?

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have the old one.

It was a piece of crap until RiverRider taught me how to desolder and then solder up connections in the unit.

They were soldered poorly at the factory.

Unless the new ones are twice as fast....I wouldn't spend the money again.

About the only thing they are handy for is load development.

If I am loading more than say 20 rounds....I will throw the charges.

With a baffle and consistency, a powder measure is twice as fast and just as accurate.
That is much dependent upon powder of choice. With ball powders, absolutely.

I will continue to use the Uniflow measure for most of my pistol work.

But, with this old H 4831, the Chargemaster is a huge step up from the Uniflow measure. I am sure it will also be so for all of my other extruded "cordwood" powders.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Originally Posted by hanco
What is the straw trick?

Same question. I have seen this mentioned before, but have no clue.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I just use one of these.

[Linked Image from rcbs.com]

I gauge it to dispense about what I want, then charge the cases directly. No additional weighing. Of course, I'm not working up precision loads. Just range ammo.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I guess this is what they are talking about.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/rcbs-chargemaster-mcdonalds-straw-s.3932464/

I have only used my unit the one day. But I do not see the need.

Set at 50 gr, It feeds very rapidly up to 40 gr plus. Then it slows significantly and feeds up to 48.5-49 gr. The last gr or so trickles at one to two kernels at a time, up to 50 gr.

In 200 rounds, I did not see a single over weight drop. And obviously, any under weight were trickled up to target.

I did not check weigh the charges against my balance beam scale, but my calibration weights were dead on for the chargemaster.

And, as I was loading right to the base of the neck of the case, visual inspection showed good uniformity.

I dropped a weighed charge into a case, set the empty pan back on the scale, and then seated a bullet into the case and put the cartridge into a storage box.

I sometimes had to wait, possibly one second for the scale to finish trickling up before I could pull the next charge off. Far faster than adjusting weight on a thrown charge from my Uniflow. (With this powder)

As Jim said above, this thing is the cat's meow for load development. I set up charges for a couple ladder tests lickety split.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I just use one of these.

[Linked Image from rcbs.com]

I gauge it to dispense about what I want, then charge the cases directly. No additional weighing. Of course, I'm not working up precision loads. Just range ammo.

Again, The Uniflow, or Redding BR-3, or Lyman 55, or Lee Perfect, or my "Midway Powder Measure" or whatever powder measure you prefer, is not capable of throwing an accurate charge of large kernel extruded powder.

My Uniflow will vary over 1.0 gr per throw with this H4831. If the rotor hangs on a throw as it cuts through a kernel of powder, that throw will be nearly two gr heavy.

That is why most people throw a grain under weight and trickle up on a scale.

If I am loading with H414, or Mag Pro, or Magnum, or another ball powder, which covers most of my pistol powders, the powder measure throws very adequate charges.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of my rifle loads are done with large stick powders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.