Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
elkmen1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
While reading some of the posts here the other day. I began reminiscing about past hunts. Hunting with my dad, mom, sister, grandpa and a couple of other older guys back in the late 50"s when I didn't even have a rifle, other than a 22 which I shared with my sister. Anyway, I cannot for the life of me, remember hunting with Factory Ammunition. My dad was a handloader, as I have been throughout my lifetime, so it's not impossible. Anybody else out there with a similar background?????

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My Dad really didn’t hunt as I was growing up and certainly didn’t hand load. He did take me on several squirrel hunts and quite a few rabbit hunts with a “one eyed Beagle”! 😉 As a young kid all I could think about hunting and shooting. My Dad bought me a Benjamin Pump for my 7th. birthday and on my 8th gave me a Stevens 22/410 that he had won on a “punch board” game right after returning home after WWII.

One Sunday we were visiting his brother, who was an avid hunter. He was in the garage with some of their cousins that also were hunters. Every two years, they made a trip to Wyoming for deer and Antelope. They were reloading ammo for 30-06’s with milsurp bulk powder, exchanging the military full jacket bullets with soft points.

I had never heard of reloading, knew nothing about it……but my desire to hunt and shoot quickly became an obsession. Several years later, when I was 14, I bought my first centerfire rifle (A Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win.) and by 15 had a Lee Loader. I still remember loading for that rifle in the living room floor of our rental home. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/11/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a poor boy - reloaded rifle ammo w/ a Lee hammer reloader.

Now, if I find a factory ammo on clearance that I like, it gets added to the locker.

The Federal Trophy Copper is a good example.

GR

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Growing up on the ranch it was either the white box (or was it silver?) or the green box; Winchester Silver Tips or Remington Core-Lokts. And in .30-06.

After the single shot .22 rimfire, I learned centerfire on a M1 Garand out to 400 yards. On a ranch, there's a shooting range just about anywhere you look. Just step it off. I think I was around 13 then. GI surplus ammo was on the back shelf next to the fishing gear in the grocery store. My brothers bought fishing gear when we started getting paid. Me, I bought a Lee Loader. In .30-06.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
brothers and myself grew up shooting guns or rivcer fishing that we brought 22`s with all the time because family and friends worked at Federal Cartridge Ammo Manufacture so loaded ammo and even 22 LR ammo was so cheap and uncles just gave us ammo all the time too , we never knew any difference in those days from handloaded centerfire ammo to factory centerfire ammo. at around the age of 24 i started to learn how to reload center fire ammo and it really helped with getting components cheap , i also got free once fired brass from Federal Cartridge ,sometimes some second bullets too . having an uncle who was a engineer at Federal and a hunting -fishing partner who was the manager in the machine shop and ballistic ammo development testing helped me learn alot about handloading ammo. > all`s i can say is if you want to be a handloader and want to continue to handload your ammo stock pile components when you can , same goes for factory ammo stock pile your ammo the world is not friendly anymore. good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father was a handloader so I grew up shooting handloads for centerfire rifles and pistols but he did not handĺoad shotgun.

The only rifle I dont handload for is a Rem 700 Classic in 6.5x55. The reason for this is I bought a bunch of Seller & Bellot with the 131 gr bullet on sale for less than $8 a box many years ago. That ammo is so accurate I havent bothered trying to beat it with a handload. But I have dies and keep the brass so when my supply of factory ammo runs out I can keep the rifle going bang

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I shoot mostly factory

Load for my 375hh

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started handloading in the 90s, was up to 33 die sets, really enjoyed it a lot. Didn't much care for driving to the range with chrony and multiple loads to work up velocity but it kept me amused. Used only handloads for years then eventually moved and never unpacked loading gear. Use only factory fodder now but don't go through much ammo these days. I lived in GA when I loaded, had a big basement with temp always in the mid 60s, had a dedicated bench and could load whenever I found the time. Live in FL now and heat and humidity have discouraged me from setting up shop, maybe when I build a dedicated building on the property I'll try again but it would have to have AC 24/7 so there that!

I've had such good luck with Hornady Spire Points, the same bullet I loaded, in factory ammo that I can't see any reason to load except for volume and that's not a concern at present.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Side note, watched a video from an Alaska Brown bear hunt, fellow used a 338 RUM with handloads, first shot at long distance, same for second, after that, blown primer got in receiver and jamed bolt lug, bolt would not close. Bear was coming out of hibernation so reaction was slow, came directly to hunter and hunter finished it with a 454 Casull at 15 yards! Thinking his hot loads almost got him killed, save the revolver!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I started handloading when I was 15 for my .222 and my 30-06. Been reloading ever since. I have used a few fatory loads just on a whim, also for my .32 spl. and 30-30s

Molon Labe
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Side note, watched a video from an Alaska Brown bear hunt, fellow used a 338 RUM with handloads, first shot at long distance, same for second, after that, blown primer got in receiver and jamed bolt lug, bolt would not close. Bear was coming out of hibernation so reaction was slow, came directly to hunter and hunter finished it with a 454 Casull at 15 yards! Thinking his hot loads almost got him killed, save the revolver!

That video is even better than you describe. Guy had dropped his handgun in the snow and he (and the camera chick) were unarmed for a time. Death was a legit possibility.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Get ya some, very accurate

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My father didn't reload. As a kid, the only handloads I had were reloaded for me by another kid and his father and I gave them (IIRC) $1.50/box for .30-06's w/165 gr SP for deer hunting and 130 gr HP (over 49 grains of Hi-Vel #2) for woodchucks. I shredded a number of woodchucks with that load out of my sporterized 03-A3.

Then I got an M1 carbine. Another kid loaded those for me with H110, they worked but the carbine soon went down the road for a 788 in .222. Only had it a short time before going into the Navy, but shooting Norma factory ammo I killed a lot of woodchucks, a deer and some other stuff.

When I got out of the Navy, one of the first things I got was a 77V in .25-06 and immediately started loading for that and my .222. Since then, for the most part, all the factory ammo I've used was shotgun stuff for hunting, 9mm and .223 white box for blasting. For about the last 40 or 50 years I can only recall killing stuff with factory rifle ammo a couple of times. I killed one deer with a load from a box of Federal Blue Box .308 ammo and I killed one deer and one caribou with WW factory .303 Savage, 190 grain Silvertip loads. For me, a big part of the fun comes from killing stuff with ammo I've handloaded myself.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dad was a re-loader. I started helping when I was strong enough to "double-thumb" primers into pistol cases w/a Lee Auto-Prime. During college I worked in a gun shop and didn't have a reloading setup so on a few occasions I did buy some factory ammo. Post college I was back into loading my own.

We loaded all our own shotgun ammo too. I've completed a double-lifetime penance on a couple of Lee Load-Alls. 2 friends and I would count 25 4-buck pellets into hulls that had powder and wads in them and pass them bak to one of the dad's for crimping.

Last edited by horse1; 04/15/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
My Dad really didn’t hunt as I was growing up and certainly didn’t hand load. He did take me on several squirrel hunts and quite a few rabbit hunts with a “one eyed Beagle”! 😉 As a young kid all I could think about hunting and shooting. My Dad bought me a Benjamin Pump for my 7th. birthday and on my 8th gave me a Stevens 22/410 that he had won on a “punch board” game right after returning home after WWII.

One Sunday we were visiting his brother, who was an avid hunter. He was in the garage with some of their cousins that also were hunters. Every two years, they made a trip to Wyoming for deer and Antelope. They were reloading ammo for 30-06’s with milsurp bulk powder, exchanging the military full jacket bullets with soft points.

I had never heard of reloading, knew nothing about it……but my desire to hunt and shoot quickly became an obsession. Several years later, when I was 14, I bought my first centerfire rifle (A Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win.) and by 15 had a Lee Loader. I still remember loading for that rifle in the living room floor of our rental home. memtb
That's very much like me. Dad hunted deer but did no other shooting. He didn't handload. I came along and got much more into it. I've hunted other game, have handloaded for 50 years now, and like to just go out and shoot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Came from a non hunting family. Started reloading (Lee Loader) with acquistion of my first centerfire rifle (Rem 600 in 6mm) as a cost saver. Ocassionally shoot factory stuff with the purchase of a new rifle just to dial things in and as an intital source of brass.

I do have a couple 06's though that I've never fired and there's not a single cartridge in the house either.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never shot a critter with factory centerfire ammo. When I started reloading, just about any reloaded rifle ammo was more accurate than factory stuff. I could also reload shotgun shells for half the price of the factory loads. That is no longer the case and hasn't been for some time.

I still reload center fire rifle ammo but i would not if I didn't already have the dies, press and tools. I recently started reloading shot shells again because I still have the old MEC presses, I started shooting skeet again, and finding 20 gauge factory loads is hit or miss.

I can see no reason to get into handloading today if you can find your favorite factory loads. Factory ammo is better quality now than it used to be and the expense to purchase handloading tools and presses just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by prairie dog shooter; 04/15/24.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My only factory ammo available rifle is a Marlin 1894SS. Everything else is reloading required. Even for the 44 mag, I choose to reload so I can shoot a 200 grain bullet.
I could be wrong but I suspect that farctory only hunters don't gravitate to these sites.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Killed more deer than I can remember with Factory Ammo, specifically .30-06 Winchester Super X Power Points 180 gr. quite a few moose as well.

$28.00 a box and lethal!

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/15/24.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Killed more deer than I can remember with Factory Ammo, specifically .30-06 Winchester Super X Power Points 180 gr. quite a few moose as well.

$28.00 a box and lethal!

They work on elk & antelope also. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 31 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,273
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.