Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I am by no means a collector. I have had 3 pre 64 Win rifles. I now have 2, a '60 .264 Win Mag 26" barrel and a '51 .270 Win with 24" barrel. The .270 is a very nice rifle in 98% condition and the only mark on it is a small ding on the inside of the pistol grip. It has the original metal butt plate and the only thing I don't know if the rear sight is a folding sight in the barrel dove tail is correct. It does have the correct hood on the front sight. TIA
Have a great day.
Jim

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Your gun was most likely equipped with a Winchester 22G leaf spring rear sight.
Any evidence/wear on the barrel closer to the receiver?
Original rear sight most likely removed if a scope was mounted.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Your gun was most likely equipped with a Winchester 22G leaf spring rear sight.
Any evidence/wear on the barrel closer to the receiver?
Original rear sight most likely removed if a scope was mounted.

Exactly this^^^ I remember doing that with my '51 30-06 std. The dang sight was right in the way. I pulled the sight off, sold it for $120.00 plus shipping on ebay, then turned around and bought a rear flip up sight for $25.00. Oops, don't tell the atf!!!!! Those dirty sobs!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
It has a Redfield scope mounted on it. It has the tv screen ocular and round front lens. I have not shot it yet. There is no wear on the barrel or anywhere except that ding in the pistol grip. I do not know what is correct for that year rifle. I'm sure all the rest of it is correct, I just had a question on the folding sight. I will not change it back to a spring sight. Another thing that made me question it was the sight on my '56 model 71 is a spring sight.
Have a great day.
Jim

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Most likely very subtle signs of leaf spring sight under the scope towards the receiver.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwleeper
It has a Redfield scope mounted on it. It has the tv screen ocular and round front lens. I have not shot it yet. There is no wear on the barrel or anywhere except that ding in the pistol grip. I do not know what is correct for that year rifle. I'm sure all the rest of it is correct, I just had a question on the folding sight. I will not change it back to a spring sight. Another thing that made me question it was the sight on my '56 model 71 is a spring sight.
Have a great day.
Jim

Your rifle originally came with a 22G 3C, like pocono said.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for your replies. I assume the 71 spring rear sight is the same. It is in the parts box as the 71 has the steel Lyman peep on it. I will just keep the spring sight. I checked further and whoever took the sight off was very careful as no evidence could be seen. This rifle has been a safe queen and will most likely be the same for me. Will check sight in and retire it. At my age I only hunt deer from my huts and have way too many deer rifles to ever use. What a horrible problem.
Have a great day.
Jim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 74 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.