Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Just saw something just now I have never seen in mid-April, a 6pt bull crossed the road in front of me on my way home. Thought he would have lost his antlers by now.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Elk hold onto their antlers longer than many other "deer." When I lived in near the National Bison Range in the 1980s (which also has a bunch of elk) I often photographed big bulls in April that still had both antlers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I saw these near Toston…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dibs on the second from right.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mild winter, I saw a bull today packing both sides. Last week I saw a bull moose still carrying both antlers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven't been to the Bison Range since I was a kid. Any idea how it is these days. My Mom was born in Pablo and we used to go that way a lot as kids.

My 15 year old daughter was salivating over the thought of getting that elk. We reminded each other it was not hunting season. She and I are going on a guided elk hunt at Heron this year so maybe she can get her bull then.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 04/12/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I saw these near Toston…

Um August?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have seen bulls with antlers in May.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I saw these near Toston…

Um August?

lol. Exactly

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ve never seen elk with antlers! ☹️ 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/12/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've seen elk here in SE Oregon still packing in early May.
I also have a book on the history of Wyoming feed grounds by Ron Dean. Therein are mid-winter feed ground shots with velvet and hard antler bulls standing side by side. A lot of variation within the species.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/12/24.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A few years ago I saw a 6pt bull in Grand Teton NP with its antlers in mid May... that's as late as I've ever seen.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have also seen them with antlers in early May.

I was surprised 3 weeks ago to see a mule deer still wearing his rack, near Roy.

Dale

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just a Hunter: My wifes great uncle was the National Bison Range Manager for MANY years and I always relished going there over the decades and photographing the Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Bighorn Sheep, Antelope, Buffalo and especially the Elk.
I have some amazing pictures of those creatures.
THEN.... a while ago, someone got the "bright idea" to turn over the management/ownership of the National Bison Range to the Indian folks.
Well to make long story short my friend from Germany came over for a visit two Septembers ago and he wanted to tour Glacier Park and the National Bison Range.
Glacier Park went amazingly well but when we visited the "National" Bison Range I was devastated!
We did NOT see one Elk - did NOT see a Deer of any kind with horns (saw two Whitetailed Does) - did not see a single Bighorn Sheep - did NOT see any Antelope and there were just a paltry amount of Buffalo on the whole range!
I was so frigging mad I wanted to lash out at the Indian folks in the visitor center but that would have been bad form in front of my visiting German speaking friend.
I was "seething" as we drove out of the Bison Range and then, to TOP IT OFF, there was a cluster of Indian folks SELLING Elk, Deer and Buffalo "jerky" just outside the exit of the Bison Range beside the road!
FMB!
I hope our visit during the height of the Elk/Antelope rutting seasons was somehow an aberration but over the decades I am certain I have toured the National Bison Range at least 35 times and ALWAYS, prior to the "shift in management", saw an abundance of every one of the above mentioned Big Game species.
I hope someone has a better news "review" for you.
I know I won't be buying my way into that "range" again until the game herds are recovered.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The lone bull (actually, the lone elk) on the Island just got his pic taken last week. He's pushing 15 years old now, and currently a touch grouchy for a couple reasons:

1. How come those cows don't write?

2. Has yet to drop his head gear.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I saw these near Toston…

Um August?

No, Toston…

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Basically the new ones push the old Antlers off.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
End of march to the end of april is when most drop where I look. With outliers on both ends of course. But most will drop during that month.

Shrap thats some high grass for April😎

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve seen bulls with one or two antlers still attached in mid May.

If a muley or bull still has velvet on by mid/late October they got other health/genetics issues.

I saw a medium size 6 pt bull with velvet on Jan 1 at the Jackson Elk Refuge years ago.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,764
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.