Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You are in wayyyyyyyyyy over your head. Throat Geometry,COAL and RPM matter wayyyyyyy more than a "smidge". Hint.

Walk away,while you can. Hint..................
I was just looking for an opinion on bullet weight for a particular caliber regarding a certain twist rate. WHY on Earth do people dive into the minute details that ARE NOT germane to the real question at hand?

Cause the do nothing "king" pretends to actually know and do something. Spews the same one note drivel for everything.

And he thinks about everyone here constantly with the endless cut and paste.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NOTHING is fhuqking funnier than Professional Victim Brokedick Droolers,"explaining" their Dumbfhuqktitude,as they "live" vicariously. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

1000 words on Throat Geometry. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you Fhuqking Retards Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by himmelrr
If you want a quality custom rifle, then those details matter. If you are looking for just a Swede in a M70 then they do not. You should talk you your gunsmith if you have a specific bullet in mind to use or at least the heaviest you expect to use. That will determine best twist and chamber throating.
I have researched AS BEST I can. from what I have read AND BEEN TOLD, a barrel (with a 1-8 twist, four groove) will stable just about any 6.5 bullet fairly well. The original 6.5X55 had a barrel twist of 1:9.5 that was made for 160 grainers...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only again,weight is moot,but length factors all. Hint.

You Professional Victims are a riot! Run while you can. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you want a quality custom rifle, then those details matter. If you are looking for just a Swede in a M70 then they do not. You should talk you your gunsmith if you have a specific bullet in mind to use or at least the heaviest you expect to use. That will determine best twist and chamber throating.
I have researched AS BEST I can. from what I have read AND BEEN TOLD, a barrel (with a 1-8 twist, four groove) will stable just about any 6.5 bullet fairly well. The original 6.5X55 had a barrel twist of 1:9.5 that was made for 160 grainers...

I believe the original was 1:8.6" twist.

An 8" twist should serve well, but you'll also want to sort out the geometry of the throat for the projectiles you intend to use.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sabretooth;
Good morning from the not so sunny south Okanagan, I hope that your part of the world is a tad brighter than up here and that regardless of the weather you're well.

We've been shooting and handloading for the 6.5x55 since the early '80's when only Canadian made Imperial ammo was sometimes available for brass so non handloaders were pretty much out of luck.

According to "The Swedish Mauser Rifles" by Steve Keyaha and Joe Poyer, their table 2-2 on page 103 indicates the original barrels were a 1:7.9 twist until the CG 63/80 series switched to a 1:8.66.

Somewhere else I want to say I read that the originals were 1:7.78, regardless it was a fast twist for the times and the grooves are fairly deep.

The combination of the fast twist and deep grooves turned out to be challenging for some bullets made back in those dinosaur days, so for instance a 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter came completely unglued on the entry side lung of a regular old 2 point mulie buck. While I'd have to look at how far away it was shot, the rifle ran a straight 4X scope and the buck didn't look miniscule in it, so it wasn't all that far.

We had poorer results from the old Nosler Solid base bullets in that regard too, that is to say they came apart a bit too easily or for our liking for sure.

Eventually either 140gr Partitions or Hornady were what we went to until the rifle went to our eldest daughter and by then Barnes had come up with the TSX line and it seemed to like the 130gr TSX just fine so that's what got used.

She's never, ever been able to catch one on any of the local mulie and whitetail bucks she's shot with the little 96 carbine either. They've all done their job well and sailed off into the BC mountain behind it.

All that said, we don't shoot stuff very far away by many other people's standards, so to be clear our experience with the bullets is based upon how they work when they hit deer/bear/sheep sized animals.

When I had a near new Swede military barrel installed on my usual walking around rifle which was built on a commercial roll marked Mauser 98 built between the wars, I wanted to see what 120gr bullets would do and have taken local bucks with both the TTSX and older GMX with them.

So far I've not found a load that the 127gr LRX Barnes likes in that barrel. Same goes for a box of 140gr GMX which is a bit of an interesting looking semi-spitzer nose. My barrel really and truly does not get along with that bullet.

Anyways again we're not shooting far, we're not shooting steel or paper with the rifles and those bullets work on smaller sized game.

A buddy who shoots a 6.5 Creed out to 800yds uses entirely different bullets, which makes sense.

Hopefully that was useful information for someone out there.

Good luck with the rifle project whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Careful now,as she's a Crying CLUELESS Kchunt and Simplistic Facts VERY much confuse her and her Professional Victim status. Hint.

Building a Custom Rifle to shoot THE schittiest bullets in its bore size,is a unique "approach" and an easy pass,from any/all angles. Hint.

Very "impressive",that she can fhuqk soooo much Simplicity up and is devoid of a FIRST Fhuqking Clue. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Which were shorter than some of todays spitzers of less weight.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Those 160gr bullets were round nose and flat base. A Hornady 160gr RN has a length of 1.24". On the other hand, a Hornady 147gr ELD-M with a boat tail and long ogive, has a length of 1.42". There are longer example out there.

If you handload, bring the 'smith a dummy round to work with. It will enable him to get the freebore/leade where it should be for best performance.

If you only shoot factory ammo, you could just go with a SAAMI spec chamber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't do a Shefire and throat with Amazing Fhuqking Stupidity. A 10" RPM would have more than done that,for stability. Hint.

COAL Latitude/RPM/Throat Geometry go hand in hand,all of which are factored by length and nothing to fhuqking do with "weight". Hint.

Still waiting to hear particulars on said Donor,because it too will be fhuqking funny! Hint.(grin)

Just sayin'................

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A 6.5x55 is an excellent all round cartridge choice. I have more than a few, me built, custom 6.5x55s and 260s in my racks. Only so I could use a standard case head, plus a standard short action, I would go to the 260, which is of equal performance.
The 55 uses a 3/4 length action and a .477-80 bolt face instead of a .473 "standard" US bolt face.

If you have a standard bolt face action, it just makes more sense to use the .308 based action and bolt face. Way less work and expense to arrive at point B from point A. Not to rain on your parade, I have near two dozen of the two.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
264 Kreed is like/like to 260 case capacity and does even more mechanical favors,because it arranges same at an even shorter yet case length,which by default allows for superior projectiles. 'Course I shoot 260AI too. Hint.

Pass the Kreed and hold all The Fluff. Hint.

Just sayin'................

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Does a box of dicks explode in your face when you pull the trigger on your crudmoor?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

I'm VERY "surprised" that the only things you can add to an Outdoor Forum,are your Homoerotic Fantasies and stolen pictures...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". You Professional Victims are a fhuqking RIOT! Please keep the Hurt Feeler Reports coming,as you extoll your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Fish on!

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

You are doing GREAT,stealing pics with wreckless abandon...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

This was earlier today. Hint.

Bless your Brokedick heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My last computer crashed and I haven't taken the time to load all my pictures off it yet. Caught a few Crappie though this year. Way better tasting than some trout variant. Going again this evening.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

Such things must be VERY "exciting",for someone who "does" as "much" as you...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep stealing pics and feverishly filling out Hurt Feeler Reports,from your Couchbound Kchunt,as you wax eloquent on your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

You poor poor(literally) Brokedick Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,can't even provide your own pics. What were the "odds"?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That picture is more than 30 years old. Got any new ones?

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

They don't get more fresh than from today...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep stealing pics and feverishly filling out Hurt Feeler Reports,from your Couchbound Kchunt,as you wax eloquent on your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

You poor poor(literally) Brokedick Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,can't even provide your own pics. What were the "odds"?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 673, 18 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.