Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I thought the vids were a good demonstration of long range realities vs expectations for the vast majority of shooters.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've shot enough long range in the field, to grasp some realities.

A milk jug is a pretty small target, only about 6" wide by 8" tall if you ignore the spout area. At 500 yards, a 1 moa rifle shooting 5" groups at 500 yards, has very little room for any error in wind call, or an unstable position.

Anyhoo, sharing these vids here has brought out some good shooting discussion. Sure beats talking politics and other current events.

I think this Challenge will have some legs and be a good thing.

What was a bit amazing was how each of those guys could not accept they did not perform very well.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I thought the vids were a good demonstration of long range realities vs expectations for the vast majority of shooters.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've shot enough long range in the field, to grasp some realities.

A milk jug is a pretty small target, only about 6" wide by 8" tall if you ignore the spout area. At 500 yards, a 1 moa rifle shooting 5" groups at 500 yards, has very little room for any error in wind call, or an unstable position.

Anyhoo, sharing these vids here has brought out some good shooting discussion. Sure beats talking politics and other current events.

I think this Challenge will have some legs and be a good thing.

What was a bit amazing was how each of those guys could not accept they did not perform very well.
are you seeing a lot of poi shift depending on shooting posisition? Say you site in off the bench. Then shoot off a bipod prone?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I noticed that too.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
he has no clue how to fire a rifle from prone

No rear bag and left hand on the fore end

Pathetic

Somehow I’m not suprised

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Cortina's 500 yard KYl Blackjack challenge is much more interesting.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never personally seen anybody shoot at game from a prone position in my life and I've seen a lot of game killed by a lot of people. Varmints yes but game never.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot from the prone position for the majority of big game animals I hunt-Actually used a rifle here.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These are all older videos (So far away from professional), but prone is very common for me.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've never personally seen anybody shoot at game from a prone position in my life and I've seen a lot of game killed by a lot of people. Varmints yes but game never.
That answers you bagging on LR hunters, kinda hard to shoot prone with a bow or in the brush.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The backfire guy is a skinny-fat beta male that survives off of clickbait. Dude is clueless.

Follow a youtube channel worth a dam

thlr.no

He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds.

[.270 Winchester laughing]

GR

Yes, you'd know something about that. (Hint....it's you)

Because you've shot w/ me.

No, wait... never mind.

GR

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
That answers you bagging on LR hunters, kinda hard to shoot prone with a bow or in the brush.
I wouldn't consider someone a good game shot if they couldn't at least consistently hit milk jugs off hand from 100 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't consider someone a good game shot if they couldn't at least consistently hit milk jugs off hand from 100 yards.

"What then is a good field marksman?
In my opinion, a man who can hit a tea cup at 100 meters with his first shot,
from a field position, in a 5 second interval is a good shot.
Try this test on yourself, but do not call for witnesses.
People who talk about good shots are usually terrible liars."

- Jeff Cooper -

GR

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You keep moving the goal posts to fit your narrative.
You obviously never have been around LR shooting at all

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LOL. Obviously you wouldn't qualify under my criteria of a good game shot for our hunting conditions here. The trouble with you Westerners is that you think the world revolves around you and your conditions when it comes to hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not responsible or bound to anyone's criteria/definitions on the positions I shoot from, the time it takes me to shoot, or the distances.

Feel free to enjoy your own limits.

Petty or demeaning insults always moves people to change their views to adopt the ones of those doing the demeaninggrin

I always try to get as good as a supported foundation as I can get, which typically means get lower or closer to the ground.
With good tripods today, seated, double kneeling, and standing can be a very steady set-up.

After a birthday party, I decided to shoot at a unsuspecting rock at just over 500 yards (Rock was approximately 2 MOA in size) with a couple of other guys. My very first shot (Cold Bore) was about 2" low from the aiming point, my wind call was spot on.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
I am not responsible or bound to anyone's criteria/definitions on the positions I shoot from, the time it takes me to shoot, or the distances.

Feel free to enjoy your own limits.

Petty or demeaning insults always moves people to change their views to adopt the ones of those doing the demeaninggrin

I always try to get as good as a supported foundation as I can get, which typically means get lower or closer to the ground.
With good tripods today, seated, double kneeling, and standing can be a very steady set-up.

After a birthday party, I decided to shoot at a unsuspecting rock at just over 500 yards (Rock was approximately 2 MOA in size) with a couple of other guys. My very first shot (Cold Bore) was about 2" low from the aiming point, my wind call was spot on.
If you were tying to get the best, steadiest foundation possible, you'd be using rifles with butt stocks instead of those hideous, sawed off contraptions you're using.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand that you seem to enjoy to demean others or somehow make them less with your words...Maybe you should give up your school yard tactics or not.
I'm sure if you just keep on engaging the way you have been here, everyone one who disagrees with you will come around to your way of thinking.

I do shoot rifles every now and again. I actually own rifles.
20 shots at 800 yards-With a rifle. i originally posted 600, but since the pic wouldn't load, I went back to put a new one on IMGUR, and saved it and it was 800 yards.

https://imgur.com/6F5RdZQ

On that same day there were two guys (who I know) who were shooting a 338 Lapua Improved at the furthest steel target that Chuck has at his range (2073 yards).
When Dan and I quit shooting my 284 Winchester rifle, they wanted me to shoot the 338.
They already had the vertical figured out, but of course wind is always changing (Still great conditions that day-Kind of obvious from my 20 round group).
They had put three hits on the steel between the two of them
They were taking forever to fire a shot after the previous one.
When I got set-up on the rifle, I fired my first shot, and it was off the left side a little bit (They had been shooting it already so the wind correction was close). It has been to long ago to remember exactly how many MOA, but I saw the impact through the scope, made an immediate correction, cycling the bolt as fast I could and put two more shots down range. The two hits at 10 and a 1 just above the white bull were my shots.
They were shocked why I shot my last two shots so quickly. I explained I wanted all of my shots to be in the same condition. They were kinds of new to distance at that time, and really hadn't thought about it that way
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am not the best, and don't claim to be, but I shoot okay with my specialty pistols...Many of which are Remington XP-100's (They came out in the early 60's).

So, you are upset that I can shoot good without a buttstock? That's funny!
So, now you are berating someone who can shoot good, because it is different than you or it doesn't look good to you or you can't do it yourself?
I shoot and hunt the way I want, because I can and I enjoy it-It's fun!

Head this way and I will let you shoot some of my specialty pistols.
Once you get some basic fundamentals down, you may even surprise yourself what you can do at distance.
I will take you out to Mac's...About 15-20 minute drive south of Gillette.

Last edited by xphunter; 04/12/24. Reason: Can't get picture to post

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What you're doing is constantly grandstanding and the fact that you're filming your hunts/shooting proves that beyond a doubt. I've never hunted with anybody who carries a camera afield, much less a video camera. I have photos of some of the game I've killed over the years and every one was taken after getting back to camp or home. I refuse to carry a camera around on a hunt. I have no interest in packing around a stockless rifle either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I have filmed a few of them...Beyond a shadow of a doubt
People want proof that guys who hunt at distance shoot from the prone.
It is quite common around here.
Someone gives proof...Oh you are grandstanding Ha! You gotta love it!
It is quite evident, even when someone responds to a comment with evidence, you will find a way to tear it down or attempt to negate it.

Never hunted with anyone who had a camera with them...Does your phone have a camera or video in it???

Even though you are irritating, I have more pity for you than anything else.
If this is your public posture, I don't even want to know how dark your heart is.
I hope your day is much better than your words.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.