Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The issues with M98 Mausers is no help here. The Springfield is designed for that length cartridge where the 98 Mauser was not.

Check the O.A.L. That is a different profile on the bullet tip. It may need seated deeper. Also check extractor tension. I would also try a different brand of brass. PPU never worked in my pre 64 Win 70 30-06. Fire a US made 30-06 in your gun to fireform then reload it or have someone else reload it if you don't reload and try that one. I would avoid major changes like rail polishing or feed ramp mods until you exhaust the other options, i.e. spring, follower, ammo. extractor tension.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB4

D
dreamer Offline OP
OP Offline
D
THE 9.3 IS A BIT LONGER BY THOUSANDS. WILL HAVE TO CHECK TENSION OF EXTRACTOR AND TRY OTHER AMMO. THANKS,FROM BEAVER CO.PA.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Be very careful about feed lip mods. They can be modded to the point of not working at all. A gunsmith did that to one of my rifles. It took welding up the rails and recontouring and re-heat treating to fix it. By someone else.

Retired cat herder.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dreamer
feeding from 03 mk 1 springfield. Re-bore by Jes,-fine job! Having cycle probs. What can be done ? Round stops solid at entrance of chamber if being fed from internal mag. Rifle is stock other than rebore.

Could be the mag box. If there is a shoulder in the mag box which corresponds to the shoulder of an 06 cartridge, that begins the bump to align the cartridge with the chamber. The 9.3x62, being larger diameter at the shoulder, gets bumped a bit too far in some mausers, swinging the bullet nose bast the chamber a bit. Your 03 might be doing the same.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is one of the reservations I've got with the 9.3x62 conversions. Folks talk up the 9.3 but the case isn't quite an 30-06 and it has always made me wonder if the 375 whelan is an better conversion. This is above my pay grade.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The answer has already been alluded to in this thread; the magazine geometry is slightly different so a qualified gun plumber needs to get in there. By qualified I mean someone with actual knowledge of what they are doing. Please don’t send it to bubba. Two jump to mind: Jim Kobe here or Dennis Olson in Plains MT. Either will get you sorted. I shoot exclusively PPU brass through mine.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had Dennis Olsen do some work on bolts some years back and it was amazingly fast. I'm only an hour and few minutes from him and I should take a few projects over there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a nice jp Sauer m98 that was converted to 9.3x62. It had the same problem, would allways feed off the right side with ppu ammo but not off the left . The 285 gr rn load ( it feeds flawlessly in my CZ 550) it isn't an ammo problem. When I loaded some 270 Speers and 250 Accubonds it was better but not fool proof. Here is the deal that m98 was made for 8x57's and feeds them perfectly just like an 03 Springfield feeds 30'06 ammo perfectly that is what it is designed to do. The point of the shoulder on an 06 is 1.948" from the base on the 9.3 x62 it is 2.039 ". So basically your shell shoulder starts to engage on the bump out ramp on the under side of the feed rail before it should for a 9.3 perfect for the 06 based carts but not the 9.3. Next step is with a custom gunsmith who understands the design and timing issues going from 30-06 to 9.3 because they are not the same as you have found out. I had to figure this out on my own because too many opinions are worse than none. The m98 I had was set up for iron sight use and needed d&t for scope , safety mod or change plus the bolt handle needed replacement or mod for scope use. As well as the.mods to the magazine. All these issues plus having a guy who wanted it, knowing everything up front led me to sell it. He likes m98 's and custom gunsmithing does not daunt him. I like things that work without spending a pile on them. Another chapter in my own book of life's experiences on why you you don't turn sow's ears into silk purses.
My bud hauled it to some smith in Sheridan , wyo who had the competence to mod the underside of the feed rails to accommodate the 9.3's longer body dimensions and he had all the other work for scope use performed too. I don't have a custom 9.3 anymore just a box stock cz 550 that works perfectly. Your answer lies in taking it to a pro who can make it work not listening to people tell you how to bubba it. You asked and I have given you the answer to it freely..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/03/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
dreamer Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Finally got back to it. Did a lot-covered most of the group suggestions. Could not find a gs who worked on '03s who also had the tools. So got my own and dove into it. Had spare bolt, spring/follower, extractor. Added shim to front of trigger guard, finished ream and checked head space-go n no go. Still have to work on the extractor but with new Hornady sprp 286gr. Now feeding ok, but not as smooth as I would like. A bit more work then to the range for break in. Thanks again to you all.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Magazine geometry is different for the new round from the original chambering. I have used Dennis Olson before and he understands the issue. Alternatively I would ask Jim Wisner to make a new mag box for the cartridge and fit it to the receiver then make it all work. Not rocket science.

The way life should be.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.