Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wasn't this called the Gun Dog forum? But now it's sporting dog? Why the name change?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The change Is part of the Campfire DEI program. Gotta include air dogs and antler finders. Our strength is in our diversity. 🤔

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
….Are the dock diver and obstacle course runners sporting Dogs??? grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by battue

Tough call. A Sporting Woman, however, is something altogether different.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do pit bulls qualify?

I mean they are a "sporting" breed

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a lot of interesting dogs out there and if it gets more people talking about them and sharing their accomplishments, then I'm all for it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Should they be required to hunt for the gun…. Or just be interesting?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody's pictures of bird dogs would still be welcome I would think.
However, bird dogs are not the only interesting dogs out there although they should take precedence over others. After all, it is a hunting forum.
But maybe someone would like to see a picture of someone's Rat Terrier line up
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WMR

Tough call. A Sporting Woman, however, is something altogether different.

Have to careful around sporting women….

Last edited by battue; 04/12/24.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Anybody's pictures of bird dogs would still be welcome I would think.
However, bird dogs are not the only interesting dogs out there although they should take precedence over others. After all, it is a hunting forum.
But maybe someone would like to see a picture of someone's Rat Terrier line up
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Love terriers, have always had a soft spot for them.

Growing up on the farm, we always had a mix of terriers and terrier mixes. They were there to handle the rats as few of the barn cats wanted anything to do with a grown rat. Whenever an outbuilding was taken down or especially if burned everyone who could make it brought their dogs over to kill rats as the rats bugged out. The dogs got pretty tired and a bit chewed up those times. But they were pretty happy and proud to be doing what they were bred to do.

My first "hunting dog" was a Wirehaired Terrier/spaniel mix. She pointed birds on occasion but mostly flushed them. She was a pretty good at finding cripples too plus became a fair squirrel dog. She would go crazy with excitement when a gun was brought out even though she was incredibly gun shy.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To be fair, I don’t think hounds are considered Gun Dogs, even though lots of shooting happens in front of them. They’re a welcome topic at my campfire anytime. I guess that makes me a Sporting Dog guy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some of us know what a Gun Dog is or isn’t. If someone hunts with their Weiner Dog, it’s a Gun Dog and qualifies. If not it’s a pet.

Gun Dog has an historic definition, however some always want to change things to fit their personal feelings. Little difference than the AKC messing with the traditional hunting breeds and turning them into ring runners.

Perhaps the gun in Gun Dog is too offensive to some.

Maybe we need a PET forum, and then they will have a place to show their Parrots, Cats,, etc,etc….

Last edited by battue; 04/12/24.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps like FB we should be more inclusive and have a place for all.....so none are left out.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about a non-working working dog forum?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some of us know what a Gun Dog is or isn’t. If someone hunts with their Weiner Dog, it’s a Gun Dog and qualifies. If not it’s a pet.

Gun Dog has an historic definition, however some always want to change things to fit their personal feelings. Little difference than the AKC messing with the traditional hunting breeds and turning them into ring runners.

Perhaps the gun in Gun Dog is too offensive to some.

Maybe we need a PET forum, and then they will have a place to show their Parrots, Cats,, etc,etc….

I have a friend who hunts partridge over a Min Pin, she's a great little hunter and flushed as long as there is not too much snow!
I also know a guy with two Min Pins , they do not hunt .
Those two are pets, the first one is as much a gun dog as our Spanial and Munsterlander!
However, a person who owns an GSP for example and does not hunt it? As far as I am concerned it's a pet not a gun dog .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps we can have a hunting clothing forum...I guess some wouldn't find it odd for someone to post up about their skinny jeans....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would guess that the change of the forum name from Gun Dog to Sporting Dog was done to be less narrow and more inclusive of other breeds and methods of hunting. Gun Dog has been a general term for pointing dogs for decades which was solidified by Richard Wolters using the term as the title for his classic book on training pointing dogs sixty some years ago. Before that, from the 1400's until the mid 1800's at least it was a general term for hounds (gunnae hounde/dogge in Middle English per some of the excerpts of "training" literature from the time I've been fortunate to have read) as quarry brought to bay by hounds were about the only game one was able to shoot with the firearms of the times. It wasn't until the advent of the percussion cap that shooting flying birds began to be practical on a wide scale basis.

Today, there are those trying to twist the definition again by trying to add other breeds and hunting styles to the term. Gun Dog Magazine is one of the worst offenders as they not only include retrievers and flushing dogs but also the occasional Airedale, feist, cur, and - shudder - Standard Poodle in their pages.

I have no problem with the name change, didn't care enough to have even noticed there was a change. If anything, it is a better fit as there are those who are broader minded in hunting with dogs than just using a gun. I also have no issue with those mentioning their use of non traditional breeds for hunting as I started with such a dog and have one now. I don't recommend going that route for a dedicated hunting dog but if the dog shows an interest in hunting then allowing it to do so can be amusing and fun with a chance of even being productive. And terriers are often fantastic hunting dogs even if their prey is not traditional quarry hunted with a gun. Turn them loose in an area that is rodent infested and you will see an intensity matched by few other breeds. Jack Russels are widely used for flushing rabbits and the like. I apprenticed to a Master Falconer who had a couple that he used with his goshawks and another falconer I know uses JRTs with his falcons.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If all my English Cockers went after were Groundhogs, I wouldn’t call them Gundogs. Same as if they flushed Game for a Falcon. I guess they may be a Raptor Dog. One thing I do know is the current widely accepted classification for Dogs that hunt for the gun is….Gundog. Although many use the generic Hunting Dog perhaps even more. A lot more.

Perhaps the Fire is on the cutting edge of a new modern day definition. One which, like so much today is more inclusive and diverse.

Last edited by battue; 04/13/24.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 56 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.