Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As I plot my next gun purchase, I'm looing at:

1860 Colt with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder (best of both worlds???)
or
1871-1872 Open top in .45 Colt.

So my question is...
Does anyone own an 1860 with conversion cylinder? Any quirks I should know about that would turn me off? How far off are the sights with the conversion cylinder?

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Two reasons I would recommend you go with a Remington New Army Revolver instead of a Colt. Firstly, every time you want to reload a Colt, you will need to knock out the wedge and remove the barrel to gain access to the cylinder. Secondly, when converted to smokeless powder cartridge guns, Colts are reputed to have a very short service life, due to stretching of the barrel cylinder gap. Their frames are made of relatively soft steel, and the absence of a fully enclosed frame design makes it super vulnerable to the increased pressures. A Remington design has a fully enclosed frame, so can bear the extra pressure without damage, and it's much easier to remove the cylinder to reload with cartridges.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should have mentioned... These guns will shoot black powder almost exclusively; which is why I'm sticking with the Colt's. Remington's tie up from powder fouling much sooner than the Colt's, and I like the removable barrel for cleaning, that's pretty handy when shooting black powder.

Even if I shoot smokeless, it will be a very light 200gr load. I'm very aware of the limitations of the Colt.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've shot both Colt and Remington replicas extensively with real black powder. In a typical range session, you would hardly notice the difference in terms of residue buildup. You might have to, halfway through your shooting session, remove the Remington's cylinder, spray down the cylinder pin with a can of Ballistol, and some in the cylinder channel, wipe, and back into action, while a Colt could go the whole session without needing that. That's the only practical difference you will experience. In a combat situation, during the Civil War, that might present an issue. At the range, not.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

IC B2

J
J
I have a Uberti 1860 converted to .45 acp.
It seems to handle 230 gr +P without issue, but I am a bit leery of trying .45 Super.
I do need to put a taller front sight on it, but haven't gotten around to making one yet.
I don't pull the cylinder to reload - I just use the loading gate like an SAA.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since this original post, I have decided I have more than enough .45's and when I buy a cartridge conversion revolver it will be in .38 Special. Cheaper to shoot, easier on the gun, closer in power levels to the original .44 Colt so the gun wont be stressed in any way. Just a fun gun for the range, and I may even plink at a Cotton Tail...Not something I need in a large bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Since this original post, I have decided I have more than enough .45's and when I buy a cartridge conversion revolver it will be in .38 Special. Cheaper to shoot, easier on the gun, closer in power levels to the original .44 Colt so the gun wont be stressed in any way. Just a fun gun for the range, and I may even plink at a Cotton Tail...Not something I need in a large bore.
Thank you for your insights. I have, for a couple years now, been on and off considering acquiring a lighter, more trim black powder revolver as an alternative to my stainless Old Army, perhaps even a cartridge conversion. I find my thoughts align quite closely with yours.

Every day’s an adventure.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My ranch is in the desert, so I have ZERO need for magnums anymore. Black bears around here are skittish, and my Great Pekinese keeps them away. No one has seen a murder kitten in these parts in nearly a decade, so. Just no need for magnums. Long shot at a coyote, or a short shot at a fox (if you ever see the little SOB). I don't shoot the cottontails and quail on the ranch, and we have an agreement with the neighbors that they're nicer to look at than to eat. Proper hunting of either is only a 10-15 min drive down the dirt road.

All that to say, .38 special has become one of the newfound, old favorites. 125gr JHP has me covered for any critter I may need to deal with, and even works well on longer shots on jackrabbits. Cast loads generally do the same job, most any critter hit squarely is done. Almost never carry .357's, only sometimes just to burn up some of the too many boxes that I bought.

Settling into my ranch now, I'm getting ready to turn a shed into a reloading room like I had in Arkansas. These days I have a LOT of different cartridges, and some are just downright expensive.

J
J
"when I buy a cartridge conversion revolver it will be in .38 Special".

How do you plan to downsize the bore and chambers to accomodate the .38 Sp ?

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JimCunn

How close is the 36 cal, ala 1851 Navy?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd just get the 1872 open top in the caliber I prefer.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by JimCunn

How close is the 36 cal, ala 1851 Navy?
that would be correct the 36 caliber black powder stuff is the equivalent of modern day 38..
they measured the board's differently back then..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not an 1860, but to answer your question about point of impact changes with a conversion cylinder, I have a Ruger Old Army with fixed sights that shoots POA very nicely with the percussion cylinder and round balls. I bought a conversion cylinder in .45 Colt, and it shoots just over a foot higher than POA at 25 yards with .45 Colt ammunition with 250 grain bullets. It took most of the joy out of having the conversion cylinder for me.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I'd just get the 1872 open top in the caliber I prefer.

Yeah. My niece has a pair of Cimarron Richards-Mason conversions in .38 Special that she absolutely adores.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my 1872 clones . Super smooth and point great. I have and Remington New Model Army with a 45 Colt cylinder . It shoots great with 45 Cowboy Action loads. I would limit my brass loads to black powder or CBA loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Not an 1860, but to answer your question about point of impact changes with a conversion cylinder, I have a Ruger Old Army with fixed sights that shoots POA very nicely with the percussion cylinder and round balls. I bought a conversion cylinder in .45 Colt, and it shoots just over a foot higher than POA at 25 yards with .45 Colt ammunition with 250 grain bullets. It took most of the joy out of having the conversion cylinder for me.

With a .457” round ball weighing just 143 grains, the resulting change in the point of impact when shooting 250 grain .45 Colt bullets should really come as no surprise. The laws of physics just don’t cut you no slack.

Every day’s an adventure.
J
J
"How close is the 36 cal, ala 1851 Navy?"

Not close, and it varies somewhat between manufacturers.
From memory, the 1851 Navy 36 cal is about .372 to .380 (I use .380 balls in my Uberti 36 calibers).
38Sp/.357Mag is .357.
.380acp/9mm is 0.355
If you want to shoot .38Sp in an 1851, you'll probably need to either hand load heeled bullets, or alternatively chrome electroplate a 0.007" thick layer on the inside of the barrel and a slightly thinner layer in the chambers in front of the case mouth.

Last edited by JimCunn; 04/19/24.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The factory navy conversions have proper .357 bore sizes. If you put a conversion cylinder in an 1851 C&B revolver, those have .375 and you'll need a hollow base bullet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,130
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.