Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#19381 05/21/01
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i have been doing load work-ups for my 25-06, and having the most consistent (but not spectacular) results w/ rl-25. i thought i'd try a new powder, so i picked up some rl-22. being fully aware of the warnings i have read on this board, i checked the lot #, or more accurately, looked for a lot #. i couldn't find one for the life of me. i found a spot on the label where there was room to put a lot #, but there wasn't one there, or anywhere else that i could see. does somebody know where alliant hides the lot #'s at? do i have a goofy bottle? any help appreciated!<BR><P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Re-25 is much too slow for the 25-06. Re-22 is about perfect,unless 75gr V-Max interest you(they do me). Then Re-19 is the best. <P>As far as identification marks,if the lot number isn't on the label next to the bar code,it is rolled on the base of the container. Most often,it is in a yellowish hue ink,that can be difficult to see. It's there,look again.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hey stick: i swear, the lot # is not there! i grabbed my rl-25 and looked for it, and found it. it is in a yellow-orange color, rolled on the base, like you said, but the rl-22 i can't find.<P>i am fairly new to reloading, and i used rl-25 for the 25-06 because, according to my manual (speer), it gave the best velocity for the heavier bullets. after i put a few loads together is when everybody told me that it is way too slow for the 25-06. at any rate, i had already put a lot of cartridges together using it. i found it did get me high velocities, but groups were running in the .8 - 1.65 range, depending on charge weight. not the accuracy i was looking for (consistent .5's would be nice). so, that is why the switch over to rl-22.<P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
big time,<P>OK,here is another approach. Beings Re-22 is new to you and you are not trying to duplicate an existing favored load in that particular rifle,you haven't ANY worries.<P>The reason being,you are STARTING load development. In that process you start low and SAFELY work up. So even if your unmarked canister happened to be faster than "normal",you wouldn't know it. Then after you shot that canister up and wanted some more,you could check the lot number at the store,before purchase.<P>In a worst case scenario,your load development,employed the faster lot and all subsequent lots would be slower(safer). <P>Start low,work up as per usual. Your in good shape............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FYI--RE 25 is not too slow for the 25-06.<BR>Start with 7828 loads and work up slightly and it WILL BE A VELOCITY GETTER. ps--WHAT'S WRONG with groups in the .8" area??<BR>If you have a custom rifle and are an expert shooter you may milk out better groups but, in general that's EXCELLENT for the average hunting rifle!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for the input, stick. you're right... i'll just start like normal, go from there (note to self check lot # before buying bottle next time).<P>kraky: nothing's wrong w/ .8 groups, really, i just want better. and, i would be satisfied w/ those groups if this was a box-stock rifle and it only cost $400 or so, but that isn't the case...don't remember what i paid for the rifle, but am sure it was over 500 (which is ridiculous for a rifle that won't put factory groups any better than the 2" area), add the trigger, leupold, etc, and i believe that this rifle OWES me better. i don't claim to be an expert shooter, but i do feel i am not too bad of a shot. i put about 45-300 bullets downrange everytime i get a chance to shoot, depending on gun (i can shoot my 22-250 a ton more than i care to shoot my 7mag)...anyway, this rifle is frustrating me, and i keep hoping that i'll find a solution for it.<P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.<p>[This message has been edited by big time (edited May 23, 2001).]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
oh, as an afterthought...i did get a .56 group (3-shot) out of this rifle, but that was w/ imr4350, and it did it only once. after that one group, it went back to it's avg group sizes. <P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,077
Posts18,521,776
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.