Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Greetings from WV gentlemen. I just booked my airfare and vehicle for 7 days this August. This will be our first time visiting Alaska. We will fly into Anchorage Friday the 16th. I rented an overland rig for the next 7 days. As of right now we have no itinerary or any specific plans. Please give me some ideas on things to do and see, places to camp, places to fish, and places to avoid. We do not care for tourist spots or crowds. We prefer to eat and shop mom and pop places.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do not like touristy places, avoid the Kenai Peninsula. You've picked a perfect time IMO as some fall colors will be showing in the high country. Make the triangle tour of the Parks, Richardson and Alcan Highways. If self contained, I'd not worry much about camp ground reservations. There's lots of convenient pull outs and gravels pits etc.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Sounds good. thank you for the advice. Do you have any streams in mind that should explore for trout ?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Milepost is a must IMHO.

Almost any clear water stream can hold trout. That time of the year they should be following salmon and fattened on eggs or getting that way.

I would not hesitate to stop at any one I crossed to test the waters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just set up a trip wifes friends from college back in 1980... they're coming up for their first time ...they land in Anchorage, I got them going north as far as 57 MI Steese Highway then down to Delta ...off to Valdez then over to Whittier on the ferry then ...down to Homer back up to Anchorage... climb to the top of Flat Top ...get on a plane and leave.. they're going to see/do some chit for sure

Last edited by atvalaska; 04/05/24. Reason: The can tour some clown set up for them what a waste of time and money sure glad they reached out/see what I thought

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I just set up a trip wifes friends from college back in 1980... they're coming up for their first time ...they land in Anchorage, I got them going north as far as 57 MI Steese Highway then down to Delta ...off to Valdez then over to Whittier on the ferry then ...down to Homer back up to Anchorage... climb to the top of Flat Top ...get on a plane and leave.. they're going to see/do some chit for sure

What is at mile 57 of the Steese? That should be around the Cripple Creek area. Seems like an odd place to go to and then just turn around. Why not make it to the top of 12 Mile Summit which is only another 30 miles and see something besides trees?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
112 miles a lot farther past 57 mile /Davison ditch area I'm only running them to the Davidson info pull out so they can go up to that little pavilion thing they got set up there for the last 40 years ...that way when I drag them back to 50 mile and up to my cabin up on the White mountain line they can see that pavilion and Orient themselves ...then beers and good food and clay pigeons will meet 😊

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Triple the trip duration, otherwise it will simply be a driving from place to place venture. Whatever, schedule about 4 hours of float plane flight time over some of the glaciers, down the coast to Seward, and maybe a lunch hour stop on some alpine lake. Expensive, but damned well worth it.

A two week span once there is way too short.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/06/24.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Milepost is a must IMHO.

Almost any clear water stream can hold trout. That time of the year they should be following salmon and fattened on eggs or getting that way.

I would not hesitate to stop at any one I crossed to test the waters.
People say that The Milepost yearly publication is a must-have if you are traveling Alaska especially for the first time.
Amazon shows that it's like 700 pages.
Click on the black banner at the bottom of the page that this link takes you to :
https://themilepost.com/category/getting-started/

With only 1 week, you'll want to establish what you will do on each day.
If you just wander around without a plan, the week will fly by.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One week!

You could make it to Palmer!

Just kidding big state, one week will go by quickly, personally I wouldn't want to spend most of it looking through the windshield trying to see everything.

Pick a spot or two and explore.

A easy relaxing trip would be palmer to valdez and take the Ferry back to Whittier.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been to Alaska twice. Both trips way too short, especially for as long it takes to get there from the east coast. Next time( hopefully) stay will be open ended. Alaska is never ending !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
112 miles a lot farther past 57 mile /Davison ditch area I'm only running them to the Davidson info pull out so they can go up to that little pavilion thing they got set up there for the last 40 years ...that way when I drag them back to 50 mile and up to my cabin up on the White mountain line they can see that pavilion and Orient themselves ...then beers and good food and clay pigeons will meet 😊

Gotcha. Makes sense.

The top of 12 Mile Summit is at about Mile Marker 85-87 or so though…not 112, if I am reading you right. 112 is even past Eagle Summit (or by ‘112’ did you mean 12 Mile Summit?)

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/06/24. Reason: Clarification

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your right, yup ...lol, I run by there and dump in on the other side of e summit ! I can see mt prindel from my cabins dinner table ! Them 2 folks from circle died this pass winter..
. got car stuck then the wind and snow buried their car and killed them in their car, rough spot in the winter time.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If going to 57 mi. Steese I would have them drive over the ridge and down to Nome cr. Take the road to Beaver cr. Fishing, look for blue berries. I've seen Salmonberries there too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going across the Denali highway a little early for the lake trout spawn. I know where they spawn in Summit lake on the Paxson side, easy hike too....

Too late for the spring grayling run too.

N
N
Originally Posted by FishinHank
You are going across the Denali highway a little early for the lake trout spawn. I know where they spawn in Summit lake on the Paxson side, easy hike too....

Too late for the spring grayling run too.
I was going to suggest to Meadows77 that they drive the Denali Highway. Off the main tourist path, spectacular views, and lots of fishing. But I have no experience with fishing through there myself. Thank you for the info personally. Quick question, when is the best time for either trout or grayling though there? I’d be coming in from Cantwell side.

Last edited by North_to_Alaska; 04/12/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any experience on that side of the highway. I spent a few years on the paxson side. There is good lake trout fishing as soon as the ice goes out on paxson right by the road. If you have a canoe and some jigs I can put you on some dynamite laker fishing on Summit Lake but its a bit of a hike back. The culvert at Meiers is always good for grayling and so is the outlet of Mud Lake in Paxson. Time wise as soon as the ice is going out has always been good to me at both spots.

N
N
If we made it to Maclaren Lodge, we will be doing good. Would rather take our time, fish, look around etc.

Meadows77. There should still be lots if grayling fishing along the Denali Highway.
Do yourself a favor and look it up. Plenty of videos out there on YouTube as well. Couple of lodges along there too.
Paxton is not a town (east end) and there is nothing there.
Only gas station is in Cantwell or Glennallen?

Plenty of places for dry camping.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paxson used to be a lodge. A-holes came down from Fairbanks and ran it into the ground

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.