Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Paxson used to be a lodge. A-holes came down from Fairbanks and ran it into the ground
Cannot argue with that, but it was the leaking fuel tanks that really killed it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't that way back in the day

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

2010 they were still selling fuel, by 2012-2013 they were no longer selling fuel because of the leaking tanks. I don’t the whole story but from what we heard it was going to cost a bunch of money to clean it up. No sane person will ever buy it because they will be responsible for the cleanup. No bank will finance the purchase. I don’t know when they officially closed up shop. I know in 2016 they were closed.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You may have known my in-laws. They owned the place up at the south end of Summit Lake.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

2010 they were still selling fuel, by 2012-2013 they were no longer selling fuel because of the leaking tanks. I don’t the whole story but from what we heard it was going to cost a bunch of money to clean it up. No sane person will ever buy it because they will be responsible for the cleanup. No bank will finance the purchase. I don’t know when they officially closed up shop. I know in 2016 they were closed.
Insurance canceled them and the bank called in their note because they were not insured...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Paxson used to be a lodge. A-holes came down from Fairbanks and ran it into the ground
Cannot argue with that, but it was the leaking fuel tanks that really killed it.

They were from Anchoragru, then Delta, just to set you two A holes straight.

And..... it was probably the tour company's that put the hurt on them, also the few full time residents moved, cars and roads improved.

Lotsa reasons, and maybe they were A holes as well, but not from Fairbanks

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnn

And..... it was probably the tour company's that put the hurt on them, also the few full time residents moved, cars and roads improved.

Pretty testy over a minor point... sensitive to the folks laughing at the joke Fairbanks is?

Lots of problems were involved... the insurmountable one was leaking fuel tanks eliminating insurance.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by johnn

Pretty testy over a minor point... sensitive to the folks laughing at the joke Fairbanks is?

Lots of problems were involved... the insurmountable one was leaking fuel tanks eliminating insurance.

Not at all, just setting the record straight, most A holes from Anchorage.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hope you guys have a great time, and you will. But like several mentioned you haven’t given yourself enough time, but thats a good excuse to go back . Hell I lived up there for over 23 years and still to this day wish I’d done and seen more, and I got around and saw a lot. Owned a light aircraft and flew into the bush quite a lot, but you know I suspision a person could live his entire life up there and stlll have many places they wished they made. Big beautiful country, full of opportunities and intrigued but the beauty can also be a beast, be careful and have a wonderful time, for the most parts the Alaskan people are very friendly and welcoming.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent six weeks there a few summers ago, based out of Palmer but trips to Homer/Seward/Whittier to the South, North to Talkeetna, Denali and eventually flew out of Fairbanks. West as far as Glennallen but spent a good bit of time in Hatcher Pass, great views and cooler weather. Did some hiking around Skilak Lake, took a boat ferry from Homer across Kachemak Bay to the vicinity of Halibut Cove and hiked a bit, picked up four hours later, never saw another person.

Can't really say what my favorite was but for sure it wasn't Anchorage, couldn't get out their quick enough but did make a few trips to stock up on provisions from Costco, about weekly. Hiked Flat Top mountain on the summer solstice with about a thousand other folks in good cheer, kind of a local celebration I'm told.

Took the dog (flew from FL) and a handgun (Glock 9mm with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman solids) but never had any occasion to use it thankfully but gave me piece of mind stumbling around the woods like a tourist.

We put 5,000 miles on the rental can, trip of a lifetime!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just a great State to see, been there twice & that's not enough. A Cruise is good,a drive is much better !!

"not too grumpy"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.