Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
But if by chance, a M19 came along for too cheap?
4 or 6 inch barrel?
I'd jump right on it.
This,...this will be the perfect woods gun.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, I like my 19-3. I slimmed the factory grips, re finished and re checkered them. I also slicked up the action.

I used it for my CCW test using some cowboy action low powered .38 Spec. loads.

A bragging target, but it was shot some years ago. Don't think I could repeat it.

Instructor was a LEO SWAT Sniper. He liked it.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's just a damn nice, nice sized gun for whatever.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
But if by chance, a M19 came along for too cheap?
4 or 6 inch barrel?
I'd jump right on it.
This,...this will be the perfect woods gun.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, I like my 19-3. I slimmed the factory grips, re finished and re checkered them. I also slicked up the action.

I used it for my CCW test using some cowboy action low powered .38 Spec. loads.

A bragging target, but it was shot some years ago. Don't think I could repeat it.

Instructor was a LEO SWAT Sniper. He liked it.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice job on those grips, Dirtfarmer.
Thanks.

To me the factory version is too fat. I like them a bit more slender. My checkering was 18 lpi.

DF

Very nice, sir!

And I wholly agree with you about the factory version.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice job on those grips, Dirtfarmer.
Yep, the guy clearly knows what he's doing.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Interesting thread. When out hiking , fishing or hunting, I am usually packing a Ruger Bisley 4.5 “ in 45Lc, or a 44 special bulldog. Lately thinking what might be ideal for this , would be a 3 or 4 inch stainless 357 . Many times out for deer or elk , I run into grouse , where I could also pack some lower powered 38 spl ammo for them, but loaded with some 180 gr. hardcast for defense.
Yes, another excuse for a new revolver !

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 357 mag is not dead in my house. I like my revolvers and my carbine, which does an excellent job with a 357 mag as well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me the .357 became attractive when I moved back west to the high desert. Now mostly I use .38 Specials, but the magnums can be fun on long shots on predators. I think the ideal place for the .357 magnum is actually in a carbine, it's a perfect light carbine round. Just enough to take care of deer, bear, or a murder-kitty at close ranges, yet small enough it can still leave a little meat on a cotton tail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bit off subject for the Handgun forum but...

Local gun store is finally getting the new Marlin 1894's available, both .44 and .357. They only had a .44 Magnum the day I was there but I was impressed by the wood to metal fit and very crisp albeit a tad heavy trigger pull. Action was smooth for a brand new rifle as well.

Didn't want to start spurting arterial blood in the store so I didn't run my finger too hard inside the loading port or action but a light digital exam of the various edges showed them to be no sharper than some older JM Marlins I've had.

Best draw was the price, they're listing them for several bucks under $1000, everybody else around here is asking mid-1100 dollar range or more.

I have no actual need for a .357 Magnum carbine but since the round is apparently in hospice care I feel a strong humanitarian urge to keep it alive by buying one. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Keep thinking it's dead. More rounds for me on the shelf then.

The reason I started this thread , I went to two different Academy's and no 357 and only a few 38 Special rounds on the shelf. There was however a 10 round pack of snake loads for $23. The shooting range had some actual 357 ammo but at $51. for 50 seemed a bit high. I reload all my 38 and 357 ammo so I don't have a real grasp of the current market. It is nice to see the number of people on the forum that are still fans. My 357 collection has dwindled to a 4" 586 which does all I need but it is seldom in the truck or on my hip anymore. My two 1911's are almost my most carried handguns along with my fishing pistol, a 38 P85 Taurus loaded with shot loads. Back in the 70's my 1911 was the dresser drawer gun and various 357 pistols got all the fun. From snakes to deer. Then I went off track and started using a Ruger 45 Colt a lot. Then the 45 ACP pretty much took over. I like the round and revolvers but I just moved on to bigger bores.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MOGC

Thanks for the link, Skeeter was a favorite, probably why in my early days the 357 was my favorite pistol.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Keep thinking it's dead. More rounds for me on the shelf then.

The reason I started this thread , I went to two different Academy's and no 357 and only a few 38 Special rounds on the shelf. There was however a 10 round pack of snake loads for $23. The shooting range had some actual 357 ammo but at $51. for 50 seemed a bit high. I reload all my 38 and 357 ammo so I don't have a real grasp of the current market. It is nice to see the number of people on the forum that are still fans. My 357 collection has dwindled to a 4" 586 which does all I need but it is seldom in the truck or on my hip anymore. My two 1911's are almost my most carried handguns along with my fishing pistol, a 38 P85 Taurus loaded with shot loads. Back in the 70's my 1911 was the dresser drawer gun and various 357 pistols got all the fun. From snakes to deer. Then I went off track and started using a Ruger 45 Colt a lot. Then the 45 ACP pretty much took over. I like the round and revolvers but I just moved on to bigger bores.
Seems to me that no handgun ammunition aside from 9/40/45 is available at what I consider reasonable prices. Of course it’s economy due to those being the most common cartridges in use. But if you’re going to seriously shoot any revolver cartridges you’d best reload or have plenty of money. I looked for some 41 Mag for a family member a while back. At $79 a box for what I could find I could have been fully equipped to load for it including a bullet mold for the cost of 3 boxes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
Seems to me that no handgun ammunition aside from 9/40/45 is available at what I consider reasonable prices. Of course it’s economy due to those being the most common cartridges in use. But if you’re going to seriously shoot any revolver cartridges you’d best reload or have plenty of money. I looked for some 41 Mag for a family member a while back. At $79 a box for what I could find I could have been fully equipped to load for it including a bullet mold for the cost of 3 boxes.

Reloading is the only way I can justify (fiscally) shooting several of the calibers/cartridges that I do.

Last edited by Jcon72; 04/11/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hope so, as I lusted for a Model 19 for years. Once they cartridge is dead, I should be able to pick one for next to nothing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I shoot a 5" SW 686 plus and fav load is the 200 grain WFN-Hard Cast at 1,200 mv.

The 357 is very much alive and well in my stable of guns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
A bit off subject for the Handgun forum but...

Local gun store is finally getting the new Marlin 1894's available, both .44 and .357. They only had a .44 Magnum the day I was there but I was impressed by the wood to metal fit and very crisp albeit a tad heavy trigger pull. Action was smooth for a brand new rifle as well.

Didn't want to start spurting arterial blood in the store so I didn't run my finger too hard inside the loading port or action but a light digital exam of the various edges showed them to be no sharper than some older JM Marlins I've had.

Best draw was the price, they're listing them for several bucks under $1000, everybody else around here is asking mid-1100 dollar range or more.

I have no actual need for a .357 Magnum carbine but since the round is apparently in hospice care I feel a strong humanitarian urge to keep it alive by buying one. wink

It's so giving of you to do your part. 😜

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SU35
I shoot a 5" SW 686 plus and fav load is the 200 grain WFN-Hard Cast at 1,200 mv.

The 357 is very much alive and well in my stable of guns.

Just a note that Mackay’s ammo for the 357 170 grain Keith SWC at 1350 fps us nice also

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The 357 mag steps into sort of another league out of carbine length barrels. This is especially true if you reload and are picky with your bullets. I’ve loaded a couple rifles year ago with everything from 2400, H110 and RE7 and can tell you the package is an honest deer rifle from 100 yds to a bit more. Some rifle cranks I’ve known swear a hot loaded 357 carbine delivers enough energy even to 150 yds. I knew these older men, knew their experience and believed them.

Now there are all kinds of people who will swear with no actual physical proof that the S&W K frames can’t handle 40-45K of pressure but the old US Border Patrol used to put 30K stiff rounds through their 19’s, year after year. I realize the famous Jim Jordan shot a model 27 N farme but if you ever saw the size of his hands the 27 looked like a J frame. So if you’re the type the shoots this kind of regimen in your K frames then I guess the L frame is your ticket. Same grip size but heavier frame and yoke. This was factory’s answer to the buying public’s fear of worn out worthless K frames, believe it or not. When I was in the business about 60-70% of my work load was revolvers and especially K frames. I took care of rental guns at two indoor ranges and have seen my share of abused handguns including cracked Sig 9mm frames, and yes cracked K frames in way of the barrel threads but not that common. Otherwise K frames with lots of work at high pressure loads do stretch. It’s actually pressure related frame distortion originating from the top strap. So you’ll get varying degrees of end shake but this is far from the death of the gun, depending on measurements. Any decent mechanic can tighten the revolver up again and a new lease on life.

Rick

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I cannot speak personally as to the durability of the L-frames. Though, it appears that they live up to their sturdy reputation.

I can say, I have found little to dislike about the 686 Plus's that I have in various barrel lengths. I like the shorter cylinder rotation in double action, the single action trigger pull, and the cylinder length.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had two L-Frame S&W .357 Mag revolvers. Both of them were Model 586s. One was a six inch polished factory nickel, and the other was a four inch dull blue (black?). The latter was a product of the Performance Center at S&W. I've sold both. Just couldn't warm up to the L-Frame, for some reason.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those 66-8s 2.75” and 4.25” are rock solid minus the lock. I plugged them. 3” 686 7 shot has made a great trail gun on a chesty.
S.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,509
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.