Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I always thought I’d have JES rebore a SA 700 into 338 Fed. The more I read about the 358 , I’m leaning that way now.

I have a JES .35 bore rifle, and you can use any .357 handgun bullet as well as .35 rifle bullets if you roll your own. You just have to slow down the handgun bullets.
Thanks, brother. That’s what I’ve gathered.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB4

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Shaw seems to be the least expensive way to have a bolt action 358 WIN built

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I’d buy one in a sav 99 out of curiosity

Some serious coin for curiosity.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coton
Why the 358 Win never took off? Do you think if rifle and ammo manufactures tried to market this caliber again it would take off? With the push on the short action magnums from manufactures why not try and push this one again?

I know that you are new here. We do have a rifle sub-forum for rifle discussions.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RAM

Indeed. I think the more practical route by far is a JES rebore. Been awhile since I last checked, but my recollection is that Savage 99's weren't cheap even in popular chamberings.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love em, got 3 of em. Got a dandy RAR I’d part with if anyone is lookin. Shoot me a message 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Coton
Why the 358 Wicampfiren never took off? Do you think if rifle and ammo manufactures tried to market this caliber again it would take off? With the push on the short action magnums from manufactures why not try and push this one again?
I know that you are new here. We do have a rifle sub-forum for rifle discussions.
Coton, it's true that guys often have talked about rifles and cartridges when sitting around the campfire, and still do. But Mr.Barnard seems to be trying to clue you in on the more recent metamorphosis - focus on fat girls, bikers in spandex and LEOs.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by RAM

Indeed. I think the more practical route by far is a JES rebore. Been awhile since I last checked, but my recollection is that Savage 99's weren't cheap even in popular chamberings.
Fear not Eggy is a poser. Speaks w/o thinking. Generally is on the wrong side of every topic, and if truth be known , is a shut in internet loser, and the only reason he hasn't already put a gun in his mouth is because he doesn't own one, either because he can't pass a BGC, or is to ignorant to rent one at a range.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
Shaw seems to be the least expensive way to have a bolt action 358 WIN built

Yep! Started using what were then E.R. Shaw barrels in the late 1980s, which while pretty rough inside usually grouped OK. But they completely retooled around 2000, and since then my experience is they're equal to Douglas barrels--and the barrel-fitting they offer is a bargain. The last one I got was a 6mm-06 medium-weight on a 700, and Shaw did what's called "blue-printing" on the action. It groups very well....

Last edited by Mule Deer; 04/14/24.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Seems like you have mentioned that rifle before.

In an article? Maybe about several 6.5's?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny anecdote:

The .358 Win in a REM Model 7 is JeffO’s most productive deer slayer.

Lots of pics posted on the fire with that combo.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 04/15/24.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
I started my .358 journey with a BLR but gladly dumped it in favor of a Savage 99. The 99 has taken many deer with both factory WW Silvertips and my handloads. I never felt the need for 250 grain bullets for whitetails, I've only had one 200 grain fail to exit. A couple years ago I turned a rusty M70 .243 into a "proper" deer rifle with the help of JES. I've only hunted it once and put a 200 grain Hornady through an 8pt ghosting through the tamaracks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
What makes ANY caliber become popular?

As an "in-between" caliber goes, what about the .41 Rem Mag?
More power than the .357 Mag, yet less recoil and easier to handle than the .44 Rem Mag.
I have a S&W M57 w/8 3/8" bbl. It's built on the N frame.
The only difference between it and a M29 is that a little less metal was removed during production. The M57 is just a touch heavier. With a bit milder cartridge, recoil is more manageable.
I find the .41 Rem Mag to be a perfect 👌 compromise.
Initially, LEO's loved it, but as the wheel gun gave way to the semi auto in law enforcement, the .41 Rem Mag has pretty much died.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of perfectly good cartridges that are languishing just because of "popularity"!
Who knew?

Was not a major problem with the 41 mag was that as designed, it’s power level was much closer to the power level of the 44 mag than the power level of the 357 mag? The execution of the design was not what the law enforcement community expected or wanted. They wanted a cartridge that exactly split the difference in power and caliber between the 357 and the 44. The 41 was too powerful for LEO work. IIRC, the lead bullet load was closer to what they wanted, but the jacketed bullet load was too much.

Another example of the clients needs being ignored by the designers and the company producing a different product.

It was literally designed to fail.

Last edited by AB2506; 04/14/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Seems like you have mentioned that rifle before.

In an article? Maybe about several 6.5's?

Actually, my fingers screwed up. It's a 6mm-06, not a 6.5-06--though did have a Shaw "custom" rifle on a Savage action in 6.5-06 years ago--which was also very accurate, as in 3" 3-shot groups at 600 yards. I wrote it up for the defunct Varmint Hunter magazine, comparing it to an identical rifle except for chambering owned by the editor, John Anderson, who passed away around a decade or so.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That seems plenty accurate!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Where would someone get a hat like that?

Wherever your skin cancer doctor tells you to get one.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
35s have never really been popular in the US with the exception of NE hunters and their lever 35 Remingtons, bolt actions aren't as popular with big woods hunters either. I do like the 35, had a really nice 350 Rem mag build on a SA Model 70, FWT, 24" stainless barrel. Another great rifle that sat in my safe and was rarely used, sold to a Camfire member who intended to use it for elk, hope he had success with it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord

More power than the .357 Mag, yet less recoil and easier to handle than the .44 Rem Mag.
The only difference between it and a M29 is that a little less metal was removed during production. The M57 is just a touch heavier. With a bit milder cartridge, recoil is more manageable.
Initially, LEO's loved it, but as the wheel gun gave way to the semi auto in law enforcement, the .41 Rem Mag has pretty much died.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of perfectly good cartridges that are languishing just because of "popularity"!
Who knew?

You go turkey hunting this morning?

No. Season doesn't open until 4-16, tomorrow.
Did go to my hunting area though.
Got about 100 feet from the vehicle and had to turn back.
A little flustered, but I'm going to try again later.
Thanks for asking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506

Who knew?

Was not a major problem with the 41 mag was that as designed, it’s power level was much closer to the power level of the 44 mag than the power level of the 357 mag? The execution of the design was not what the law enforcement community expected or wanted. They wanted a cartridge that exactly split the difference in power and caliber between the 357 and the 44. The 41 was too powerful for LEO work. IIRC, the lead bullet load was closer to what they wanted, but the jacketed bullet load was too much.

Another example of the clients needs being ignored by the designers and the company producing a different product.

It was literally designed to fail.

Never heard that, but it's almost a standard Remington SOP.
The .244 Rem, the 6.8mm Rem SPC, the 8mm Rem Mag and the .41 Rem Mag.
I'm not a LEO, so never used my .41 RM as anything more that to hunt with. Filled all my needs for that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Probably hard to top the 358win for use as an cast and modern bullet tosser. Thought seriously over time about owning an 358 win but reminded myself that I've already got 4 of the model 71 348winchester rifles and 348 Ackley. Those are basically the same just in another form.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 43 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.