Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now it’s “Hunting Dogs”!!!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, it was changed a couple days ago. 🙄🤣

laissez les bons temps rouler
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gun dogs
Sporting dogs
Hunting dogs.

Let's just call it dogs, which is all we want to see anyways... we all love dogs of all kinds.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
we all love dogs of all kinds.

True. Except Afghan hounds. That is the one breed I have absolutely no love for.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

True. Except Afghan hounds. That is the one breed I have absolutely no love for.

Good God, those are ugly, useless looking things.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Should have left well enough alone…and left it Gun Dog. It had a definite exact description for a forum for hunting Dogs that are shot over in the field or water.

Someone must have whined.

Last edited by battue; 04/17/24.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by battue
Should have left well enough alone…and left it Gun Dog. It had a definite exact description for a forum for hunting Dogs that are shot over in the field or water.

Someone must have whined.

Agreed, however I would be surprised if Rick gave in to such a childish complaint!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well it went from loving all Dogs to calling one ugly and useless….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[video:youtube]Share [/video]

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well from looking at where most of you are from, I doubt any of you even know what a gun dog is let alone sporting dog and most likely just have a dog around for just a pet. Who cares what name they give the dog forum.

Someone mentioned something about dogs being used to flush birds for a Hawk. Yeah the hawk is used instead of a gun and the dogs used for it are flushing breeds like Black lab, Chesapeake, golden lab ect. Still a gun dog no matter how they used for hunting. Dogs used for competition hunts are still gun dogs no matter how you look or don't look at it.

Many of you also own guns and that don't mean most of you are hunters, far from it actually.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
Well from looking at where most of you are from, I doubt any of you even know what a gun dog is let alone sporting dog and most likely just have a dog around for just a pet. Who cares what name they give the dog forum.

Someone mentioned something about dogs being used to flush birds for a Hawk. Yeah the hawk is used instead of a gun and the dogs used for it are flushing breeds like Black lab, Chesapeake, golden lab ect. Still a gun dog no matter how they used for hunting. Dogs used for competition hunts are still gun dogs no matter how you look or don't look at it.

Many of you also own guns and that don't mean most of you are hunters, far from it actually.
So,
Insult, a little bit of opinion and then finish with another insult.

Thanks for that.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Afghan hounds one of the prettiest dogs out there. Smart and fast as the wind. Compare them to black lab they make the lab look like a turtle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem

Afghan hounds one of the prettiest dogs out there. Smart and fast as the wind. Compare them to black lab they make the lab look like a turtle.

I don't believe I said or even implied Afghan hounds were unattractive, unintelligent, or slow (though it would be interesting to see how they would stack up against a lab in a swim). I just stated I had no love for them. I do have great admiration for many of the other sight hounds though as I was fortunate to have been able to spend two mornings chasing coyotes in Nebraska with greyhounds, hunted cottontails with the neighbor's whippets for a few years, and grew up with my grandfather's Irish, Russian, and Irish/Russian mix wolfhounds who actually were used for hunting wolves. I was just getting to an age to keep up to actually go wolf hunting when wolves were listed as endangered. By no means am I an expert on sight hounds but I do have a passing familiarity.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
(though it would be interesting to see how they would stack up against a lab in a swim)
They not water dogs and not what they was designed or bred for. It be like me saying "I wonder how a Lab would stack up to a running walker chasing coyotes". Different breeds for different purposes. Take those stags you just talked about or even the wolf hounds, they bred for short chases. Compare them to a running walker they bred to run all day long. Also the stag guys run a coyote with the truck before they release the stags. Running walker jumps its own coyote and runs to catch all day. Not uncommon to put 52 miles on a running walker in a day, just way it is and what they bred for. I don't expect a lab to do that, so I don't hunt coyotes with one.

Stags= Grey hound, wolf hound, whippet and Afghans all in a stag's bloodline plus few other breeds. pure Afghans not built hardy enough to run coyotes but do well with open country fox and jackrabbits and small bodied game animals. And no, I do not have a Afghan.

Running walkers= they bred for brains, speed, grit, handling ability, endurance, and nose to just name a few traits. Every time you make a cross is to improve those traits or keep them and yes at times you can get a bad cross if you breed to wrong dog, then you have to sort of start over and get rid of the bad traits. You make a cross you have to have both male and female that produce dogs with good traits and cull out the bad [bleep]. The entire litter is what tells you what you got. Some guys tend to breed on the actions of just one dog and think they going to have nice litter of pups because they bred to another guy's top female. LOL it doesn't work like that.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; Yesterday at 11:31 AM.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
My dog has over 100 retrieves on wild birds in 2024 so far, so Id say she qualifies as a gun dog. She will have 25-30 more retrieves this Sunday, as we are shooting pigeons again. Not bad for an Airedale.

Last edited by firstcoueswas80; 2 hours ago.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,492
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.