Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
S&W had to work pretty hard in the post-war period to win over the rank-and-file bullseye shooters. The result was the K-38, and after that it was pretty much a tossup between the two.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have an old .357 Flattop that I have used to hammer the Jacks a time or to as well, using .38 WCs and SWCs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

what's the story on the finish of that revolver?

I picked the gun up and it was pretty heavily pitted. It originally had a 6.5" barrel. I was in Boise and met up with a John Taffin and a mutual friend for a gunshow. I mentioned that I was looking for a shorter barrel and a grip frame, as the one it wore had some fancy grips on it. John said stop by the house. So after the show, I went to his house and he gave me a new grip frame for the gun (the one it is wearing now) and showed me how to swap frames. He also had a spare shorter barrel for the gun that he gave me. I had a smith put the shorter barrel on. I call this my "Taffin" gun. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
[quote=Mackay_Sagebrush]I have an old .357 Flattop that I have used to hammer the Jacks a time or to as well, using .38 WCs and SWCs.

Yours is a bit rougher than mine Mackay. Mine’s a 1978 production New Model with some pitting down the left side of the barrel and a stripe down the cylinder where it was lined up with the barrel at the time. Some guy left it under the seat of his pickup and it rusted into the carpet, still had fibers stuck on it when I got it. Has a big cylinder gap and lots of play but shoots way too good to monkey with it. I’d buy ten more in the same shape for what I have for it. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Kid,

Yours looks great. They are a pretty handy sized gun and good for a general purpose outdoors gun. Not much they won't digest, and since the finish is already worn you don't have to worry about water and mud and stuff. That makes them pretty practical to me.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I just put a BUNCH of rounds through my old Model 15 Combat Masterpiece the other day.

Started with some .38 Short Colts.

shot them in the upper left corner.

Those little guys in a K Frame are like shooting .22mags lol.

Then I shot a bunch of poly coated 148 grain poly coated wadcutters.

Love the wadcutters in the K Frame. That is a perfect pairing.

Spent a bunch of time at 7 and 10 yard shooting quick double action. The Model 15 makes getting good hits with the poly wadcutters fairly smooth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Anyone have a Colt Officers Match, Target, Special, et al? I’m leaning hard towards grabbing a 40s production 38 Heavy barrel. Have never owned one but they look like a fun and inexpensive, relatively, way to dip into the Colt pool.

Part of me wants one of the hideous Officers Model Specials for whatever reason. They had better shoot because they’re nothing to look at.
A 4th model headed my way.

Couldn't help it....

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
You’re not helping me out here. I’m shopping and trying to be patient while I wait for a deal.

Show us a pic when it arrives.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Will do.

I was not patient and did not wait for a deal, but I think I did alright.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had this one in my watch list, but wasn't paying attention to end date. Oh well.

Colt Officer's Model Match - 1961

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I saw that one too LD and wondered where it would go. I bid on the Officers Model Special with the funky Sile target grips but didn’t pursue it very far. I think it went to $412 but had been reblued and the impossible to find rear sight had been filed on. I’ll find a nicer one.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw that one too, Kid. But, it just didn't appeal to my taste. Lol.

I don't have the appetite for projects now as much as I did when I was younger.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
What are you guys using for bulk reloading for 38s?

I’ve been on the fence for ages about getting a progressive of some stripe. Always spend the money on another revolver and keep chugging along with my old single stage. Last month I loaded and shot over 500 rounds through my revolvers and the bulk of that was 38s. I’m thinking again of getting a progressive.

I’m a cheap ass and despise Lee products for the most part. So I’ve been looking at older technology used progressive presses and I have pretty much decided at least to start with I want to just dedicate it to churning out 38 wadcutters. I shoot about 3 or 4 wadcutter loads to every 1 SWC 38 load and probably 10 38 wadcutters to every 1 of all other calibers I load.

A guy on another forum has a C&H Autochamp setup for 38s for cheap and C&H still supports them. I’ve read horror stories and I’ve read that some guys love them. I’d love a 550 but I hate to spend the coin when that would buy another K frame to shoot. I’ve been looking at old Star setups, they’re not really versatile but I don’t think I’d be really hampered if it’ll crank out good quantities of old standby loadings.

Pretty much anything that would load a pinch of HP38 under a H&G wadcutter in a reliable and speedy fashion will fulfill my wants. Input?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you guys using for bulk reloading for 38s?

I’ve been on the fence for ages about getting a progressive of some stripe. Always spend the money on another revolver and keep chugging along with my old single stage. Last month I loaded and shot over 500 rounds through my revolvers and the bulk of that was 38s. I’m thinking again of getting a progressive.

I’m a cheap ass and despise Lee products for the most part. So I’ve been looking at older technology used progressive presses and I have pretty much decided at least to start with I want to just dedicate it to churning out 38 wadcutters. I shoot about 3 or 4 wadcutter loads to every 1 SWC 38 load and probably 10 38 wadcutters to every 1 of all other calibers I load.

A guy on another forum has a C&H Autochamp setup for 38s for cheap and C&H still supports them. I’ve read horror stories and I’ve read that some guys love them. I’d love a 550 but I hate to spend the coin when that would buy another K frame to shoot. I’ve been looking at old Star setups, they’re not really versatile but I don’t think I’d be really hampered if it’ll crank out good quantities of old standby loadings.

Pretty much anything that would load a pinch of HP38 under a H&G wadcutter in a reliable and speedy fashion will fulfill my wants. Input?

I don't own a 38 Special but I would bet you would get a good return on investment with a Dillon 550.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The Dillon 550 is the way to go. Hands down, no question about it. I have had one since the early 90s. Actually I should say that I bought my first one in the early 90s and have a number of them. But for a guy who shoots handguns a good bit, there is not any other press I would consider for ease of use and the amount of rounds it can make in a reasonable amount of time.

Many years ago I decided to set one up for large primers and one for small primers and I still think that is the way to go. For personal use shooting, the only thing I load on a single stage or turret press is some precision rifle stuff.

Kid,

Get a Dillon 550 and don't look back.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I bought my first 550 the first year they came out, '85 I think. I can't even guess how many rounds have been loaded on it. I load .380 to 45 Colt on the 550s.

Like M-S posted, the only thing I use my Rockchucker for is bolt action and lever rifle ammo. Take the hit and buy the 550.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
550s are not just for handgun rounds.

I don't think I have loaded anything on a single stage for 25 years, at least.

Dillons have done all my rifle and handgun loading for so long I don't know if I could remember how to use a single stage press or where my collection of Rockchuckers and Big Max are hiding.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My 14-4 see's more trigger time than most of the rest combined. All the ammo that's ever gone through it came off a 550B

TheKid #19417129 Yesterday at 05:06 PM
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Picked up this 14-3 yesterday. Bit of bluing wear and a few marks here and there. Fine for what I'm looking for, planning on shooting it quite a bit.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

TheKid #19417164 Yesterday at 05:23 PM
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Troutnut #19417249 Yesterday at 05:58 PM
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
These are my favorite kind, they don't have to be babied and they're just begging to be shot.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.