Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am thinking about getting Ameriglo sights for a Glock 47. Does the shape of the rear notch on iron sights make much difference?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
To me, no. Im focusing on the top of the front being level with the top of the rear. The bottom of the notch is the least likely place for me to look. I also don’t care for bead or round top front sights. YMMV

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Personally, I think there is more precision to be had with square cut notches and square front sights.

However, for speedy work up close, like a pistol is supposedly meant to be FOR, there is some merit in the bead front sight, the rear notch doesn't matter much at all, it doesn't care if the rear notch is square or U-shaped. I simply can't shoot them nearly as precisely as I can the square cut sights.

Your eyesight might allow you to have different results than I get, but that's my take on it. I won't fuss if you can get better results with a bead front.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
U notch rear for a front bead, square notch for a square front sight. Two dot on rear an one dot on front, just line them up evenly

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
I am thinking about getting Ameriglo sights for a Glock 47. Does the shape of the rear notch on iron sights make much difference?
'
No, it's personal preference.
I have both, but I like square if I was going to pick one.

Compare Ameriglo Agent to Ameriglo Bold for a good comparison.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
To me, no. Im focusing on the top of the front being level with the top of the rear. The bottom of the notch is the least likely place for me to look. I also don’t care for bead or round top front sights. YMMV

This is the way I was looking at it. I don't think it would make a difference to the way I shoot iron sights, but I am also willing to learn if there is a better way.

Thanks for the ideas folks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
'
Everything is based on the tops being level, no matter which sight picture you prefer.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
'

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
what happens if you don't have dots, or the front dot is at top of the front site.

I was taught at Gunsight that a combat was center of hold on the target not the site, everything else is bullseye shooting

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Etoh
what happens if you don't have dots, or the front dot is at top of the front site.

I was taught at Gunsight that a combat was center of hold on the target not the site, everything else is bullseye shooting
'
That's where you're going wrong.
You're "dot centric" and that's fine for close in combat shooting.
I have a friend that way. He can't shoot a 6:00 gun to save his life.
The dots just lead you to the sights.
For outdoor shooting, I don't like any dots really, except maybe a fiber optic front sight.

Your Gunsight instructor was prejudiced towards his way of shooting.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
maybe not the original question exactly but the u-shape like on Springfield hellcats and other guns they produce. compared to a square notch. I know there's no real reason for it but I just cannot shoot them as good as I can square sites example glock type.
I've often wanted to try and have never done it one of the true Glow I think is maker has kind of a a gentle v in the back and a really big dot in the front. I think they call them the Big Dot one of them I think might be good for non-precision such as combat type

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Everyone is teaching combat hold now and most sight companies are setting their sights up for this.

Big bold dots in U shaped rear sights, put the dot over the target and press the trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I have noticed about many U notch rear sights, is that they're a bit more generous in the amount of light they let in. That's something I very much appreciate since every handgun I have owned over the past 40 years gets a file taken to the rear sight to let just a touch more light in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends...............

For pure target shooting, & actually for SD as well, I like a 6 o'clock hold, so I prefer a square top front sight with a square top rear sight as well.

But most of the U-notch rear sight seem to have some kind of radius on the top as well.

The actual bottom shape of the notch is more or less moot as long as the top is square.

Too ingrained to want to change now.

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

'
For outdoor shooting, I don't like any dots really, except maybe a fiber optic front sight.

Haaaaaa. Pretty sure at the time I took the courses the instuctor could shoot bullseye a lot better than you could shoot action shooting.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

'

Haaaaaa. Pretty sure at the time I took the courses the instuctor could shoot bullseye a lot better than you could shoot action shooting.
Welp, you paid your money.
If you're happy, then good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the u shaped on a G19, my opinion is that I would not ever put them on a .22 that I was trying to hit a rat with, OTOH on the G19 for its intended use they are fine.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Be sure of your target and beyond. Oh, except when using the combat hold and it covers up the target. IMO It's a made up sight picture as a result of sight makers trying to market their sights in the 80s/90s when they added dots, lines, triangles, to the sights to make the "easier" to use. Non shooters thought to line up the dots. I personally do not know a bullseye or ranked match shooter that uses the combat hold. You have to see what you are shooting at to be accurate.

As for the OP's question, square is more accurate. As it's much easier for your eye to line up three horizontal lines, vs. trying to line up the top of a rounded rear sight with the top of a rounded front sight. Does that accuracy difference matter? That's up to you.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
maybe not the original question exactly but the u-shape like on Springfield hellcats and other guns they produce. compared to a square notch. I know there's no real reason for it but I just cannot shoot them as good as I can square sites example glock type.
I've often wanted to try and have never done it one of the true Glow I think is maker has kind of a a gentle v in the back and a really big dot in the front. I think they call them the Big Dot one of them I think might be good for non-precision such as combat type

A guy I know has had those BIG DOT sights put on his SA TRP, and he insists I try it every time I run into him. I can't shoot it worth a damn. It's FAST, and if you're close, it works okay, but try to shoot well past 10 yards and you're outa luck. I can't imagine having those sights on my own pistols. They sure jump out at you, but for a precise hit, they're all but useless. Like you, gimme square-topped sights I can see, they work better for me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
'
So here's how I understood Post #1
"U" Notch rear sight vs. Square Notch rear sight
Good examples to compare are Ameriglo Agent (round) and Ameriglo Bold (square)

Ameriglo Agent
[Linked Image from s19.postimg.cc]

Ameriglo Bold
[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Ignore the dots and look at the basic shapes of the sights.
This is strictly a personal preference thing. One is not better than the other.
I have both, but I like the square bottom rear sight.

For fun, we like to break clay birds set out on a sandy bank about 50 yards away.
For that, I like a Dawson Competition rear sight (serrated, no dots) and a .040 red fiber optic front sight (narrow sight with a clean steel top)
We have one combat shooter in the group and he laughed when he was first told of the clay birds.
When the birds started breaking, he quit.
It's really not hard to do. On this sandy bank, you can walk your shots in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

741 members (01Foreman400, 16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.