Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I did some research, and found that the skinny barrel Anschutz doesn't shoot as well. Any of you guys have experience with one? Thanks! Not really on my radar, but I would have bought it, had it been a sporter. Looks like it has a sporter barrel on it though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Not too shabby bsa but if you’re gonna go with an anschutz just hold out and go with a 54 action..

No flies on a 64, but you’re not going to be blown away in comparing it to some of your other rimfires

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree on 54 action only.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I'll try to remember that. I saw a nice little sporter a while back, before I went on a rimfire buying/shooting spree. It was less than $500.00. In the back of my mind, they just seem like a souped up Savage MK2??? I know they can be accurate, as I've shot against some heavy barreled Anschutz before. A true Anschutz would be one to look for, I'm assuming. I'll try to remember model 54 though. Thanks guys..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bsa..a 64 is every bit a true anschutz and like I said there are no flies on them at all.

My lone 64 is the weatherby XX11 they put out some time ago. It’s a beauty and I love it but it simply won’t hang with my 54’s. It’s just a slimmer and less robust action so comparing them isn’t fair..

With your knack for open sight shooting I’d wager you could have that 64 turning in some stellar groups. It’s a lot of rifle for $500 that’s for sure

I rekkon your sporter itch would be scratched by the likes of #2 and 6 from the top, both 54’s
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Certifiable; 04/16/24.

She's gone shootin..
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Honestly, thats a good deal to me, maybe offer then $500 on it. Given that Anschutz all use the same quality of barrels regardless of the action. The sights are pretty expensive too. The 'cheap' 10D I have shoots as well (from machine rest) as pretty much anything else from the same 1950's period I've gotten to test it against, which included other anschutz, a few 52's, a 40x, my own H&R 451, and a Kimber somethin I can't recall the name of . I would say it liked wax coated ammo a bit more than other ammos (norma tac-22 looked great out of it.)

I find the biggest issue with it was finding rings to fit its rounded receiver.

Don't let fancy actions distract you from the fact that 99% of the shooting accuracy is in the Eyeball, Chamber, Barrel, and Ammo. Good barrel, correctly cut chamber, consistent ammo that your gun likes, and your own shooting.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bsa..a 64 is every bit a true anschutz and like I said there are no flies on them at all.

My lone 64 is the weatherby XX11 they put out some time ago. It’s a beauty and I love it but it simply won’t hang with my 54’s. It’s just a slimmer and less robust action so comparing them isn’t fair..

With your knack for open sight shooting I’d wager you could have that 64 turning in some stellar groups. It’s a lot of rifle for $500 that’s for sure

I rekkon your sporter itch would be scratched by the likes of #2 and 6 from the top, both 54’s

Nice collection buddy. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the advice too! I do like those sporters in the pic too. I've ran across some cool older rifles in the last few months. Generally I'm looking for old model 70's, but I think the damn BRNO model 2 and old CZ452, both at around $350, got me to thinking about 22lr's again. Then I ran across a cute little BRNO model 1 single shot. It was not perfect, but was only $300.00. I should have probably bought that one too!! The Anschutz in the OP, is a sweet looking rifle, but I didn't pull it down and handle it. From what I found out with some research, is the light barreled models were used in school shooting organizations and clubs. I guess they were a lot easier for kids to handle. Like I said, though, they were known to not shoot as well as their HB brothers.

Originally Posted by aether_tech
Honestly, thats a good deal to me, maybe offer then $500 on it. Given that Anschutz all use the same quality of barrels regardless of the action. The sights are pretty expensive too. The 'cheap' 10D I have shoots as well (from machine rest) as pretty much anything else from the same 1950's period I've gotten to test it against, which included other anschutz, a few 52's, a 40x, my own H&R 451, and a Kimber somethin I can't recall the name of . I would say it liked wax coated ammo a bit more than other ammos (norma tac-22 looked great out of it.)

I find the biggest issue with it was finding rings to fit its rounded receiver.

Don't let fancy actions distract you from the fact that 99% of the shooting accuracy is in the Eyeball, Chamber, Barrel, and Ammo. Good barrel, correctly cut chamber, consistent ammo that your gun likes, and your own shooting.

Good post/information. Thanks! I'd also think the sights are pretty spendy. If I were guessing, probably around $300.00? So in all, the rifle is priced right, in my mind. The rear sight is kind of cool, it attaches to the dovetail where you would mount the rings. The first one I've seen like that.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Back at ya" with one that followed me home today.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a couple of Savage-Anschutz 64 target rifle on the Simpson LTD site priced at $650, their inventory numbers are C62400 and C62401.

309-342-5800, ask for Floyd.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by geedubya
Back at ya" with one that followed me home today.

ya!

GWB

Sweet rifle! I'll bet it's a shooter.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sweet rifle! I'll bet it's a shooter.

Wind is gusting above 16 mph at present or I would be going to shoot now.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That’s a very nice one Geedub!

She's gone shootin..
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I had one of the little CIL/Anschutz sporters (190?) and it was not accurate per my expectations

That is comparing it alongside a departed Remington 541KS sporter, my present CZ455 American sporter and Cooper 57M Classic. It was about like an old 1970 Browning T-bolt that I bought new and kept for 30 years and a Winchester 69A that is also gone.....sort of OK. Always hoping one of the "old cheap ones" shoots great but none of mine have, including a Winchester M75 target barrel, with the exception of a very early Winchester M52 (pre-speed lock and A-series).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kurt52
I had one of the little CIL/Anschutz sporters (190?) and it was not accurate per my expectations

That is comparing it alongside a departed Remington 541KS sporter, my present CZ455 American sporter and Cooper 57M Classic. It was about like an old 1970 Browning T-bolt that I bought new and kept for 30 years and a Winchester 69A that is also gone.....sort of OK. Always hoping one of the "old cheap ones" shoots great but none of mine have, including a Winchester M75 target barrel, with the exception of a very early Winchester M52 (pre-speed lock and A-series).

You are not alone Kurt. There are a couple reasons I did not buy this rifle in the OP. For one, it is very right handed. Seemed like it has a right hand grip on it. I shoot left handed when using a scope. Plus after researching it, it seems the consensus is they do not shoot the best. The skinny barrel is what I questioned. But Certifiable brings up the beefieness of the action itself. Something I had not even thought of. But for those reasons, I'm thinking the rifle is not for me. As for the Winchesters you mention, the Winchester model 69 may not shoot as well as a model 52, for the same reasons?? This is only speculation, after comparing 2 side by side.. Thanks for you input!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted about finding a 164M at a gun store close by. What say you Anschutz loonies?

Has some use marking, but pretty clean. Complete with Weatherby scope. They're asking $649.

Thanks.

LHS

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LHS905
I posted about finding a 164M at a gun store close by. What say you Anschutz loonies?

Has some use marking, but pretty clean. Complete with Weatherby scope. They're asking $649.

Thanks.

LHS

Sounded like a nice little 22 magnum to me. Like others said, they would snag it at that price. If you get it, post some pics. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Bought a Savage^Anschutz M184 Sporter in the 1970’s. Still with me and a very, very accurate gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.