Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've had them buzzing all over mine since I started this thread, but suddenly they disappeared a couple of days ago. Not a one in sight. I went out and checked, and the thing was 100% empty and dry. I don't remember it emptying out so quickly last year. So I immediately cleaned it out, replaced the nectar, and hung it out there again, and now two days later, still not a single hummingbird. I guess they figured it had only so much nectar, and now they need to move on to someplace else. Hopefully, they will soon rediscover it.

GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They will. You're right that they were probably migrators.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am not when the Hummingbirds start to arrive up here on the North 40, I sure hope my new feeder works when they do.

On my lake the ducks are coming in now, today is the first day I have seen ducks that were not Mallards.

An American Goldeneye

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A pair of Bluebills

KB

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
At around 5:00 this evening, I saw a lone hummingbird at the feeder, so they will soon all figure out that the nectar is back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was fishing at a Utah State Park this week, and saw two pairs of mated ospreys, lots of grebes, and could swear I heard at least one loon. The syrup level in my hummie feeders is slowly going down, so there may be birds hitting them that I haven't seen yet. Fingers crossed...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had a pair of Redheads on our shoreline today. I have always considered them one of the prettiest ducks.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/16/24.

KB

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Our hummingbird is sticking around. He has a beautiful red throat. He just zoomed right in while I was standing 4 feet away and got his nectar. He comes and goes so quick, hard to get a photo.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
We have Anna's Hummingbirds here year round. At this time of year, with lots of plants in bloom, they don't come to the feeders as much.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The only thing that my black-chins will not mess with are wasps. I think they might have learned that lesson the hard way. They attack everything else near the feeder.

Well, except for me. They know I am The Bringer of Good Stuff. If I take a feeder inside to clean and refill it, they'll hover where it's supposed to be, looking confused. Then, when I bring it out all freshly filled, they swoop right in immediately, almost before I can let go of it.
I have several feeders and just fill one and use it to replace the one needing cleaned. The birds never have to wait at my house.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, I have had my new Hummingbird feeder out for a while now, not a single one, no idea what time of the year they show up here, or if they even will at my location.

I did take this picture and a rare sighting it was, went out for a coffee, and to my complete surprise, there he was on my shoreline a Cinnamon Teal!

I have only seen two in my lifetime, he was the 2nd and I have been a duck hunter for 55 years. I shot the first one lol

Have any of you ever seen one, here he is, with the Miss's. Cheers, and happy bird watching. cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/25/24.

KB

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Killer, You are a Canuckian in good standing...and you should know this...your hummingbirds are metric up there and thusly need to suck their welfare juice from a metric feeder. Get your tape measure out and check that feeder, you'll see I'm right.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Purple Martin house has turned into a brothel never seen so many different birds nest in one place😂

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Killer, You are a Canuckian in good standing...and you should know this...your hummingbirds are metric up there and thusly need to suck their welfare juice from a metric feeder. Get your tape measure out and check that feeder, you'll see I'm right.

What's metric lol

My last year in school is when DIMWIT Sr. came out with metric, I never learned metric, only go by inches haha

If some hit the feeder I will immediately buy the one that RockyRaab recommended, the 32 oz. one, I have no idea what that is in ml either lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/25/24.

KB

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Haw, We got it easy... Poor ol' BC Dwayne...he's a cuttin' inch lumber into metric cabinets...no wonder he spends so much time wandering the bush with a rifle contemplating the meaning of life.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thought my fellow Birdwatchers might enjoy this picture of a Pair of Ringneck Ducks. Always wondered why they are called Ringnecks, when the ring is around their bill.

Did some research on Hummingbirds of Alberta, they typically show up in the middle of May. Hope some visit my feeder so I can get some good pictures.

Cheers ~

KB

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No Hummers here, we have Barn Swallows.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Still haven't seen one of my residents this year, but the syrup in my two feeders did go down very slowly since I put them out, so there may have been some birds passing through. Just changed them for new stuff, as the first syrup was in there for two weeks. Even with chilly weather, that's pushing it for mold and other nasties.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Still haven't seen one of my residents this year, but the syrup in my two feeders did go down very slowly since I put them out, so there may have been some birds passing through. Just changed them for new stuff, as the first syrup was in there for two weeks. Even with chilly weather, that's pushing it for mold and other nasties.

So you should change the syrup, every two weeks, if its unused?

Something to learn every day lol

KB

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What are the birds that sit on a cow's back, and eat bugs?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Cattle Egrets?... that is what I have always known them as .... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,524
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.