Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Did some driving today and had Pandora to keep me company. Stevie Ray came on several times including Little Wing. It’s I suppose a nuance to his mastery of the strings but he does 3 in a row clear as a tuning fork in an igloo. Who else comes to mind?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB4

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just listened to both versions a couple times. A huge SRV fan, but think considering the diff in pick-ups, string quality & recording gismos, or a 30 year diff, the Hendrix version might be crisper, cleaner. SRV, more melodic. Just a listener with a tin ear opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Shootem, you're speaking my language.

Most will never even listen, but Nels Kline does some incredible stuff!

Eddie Hazel was pretty amazing too!

Jonathon Wilson is a BMF as well.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have to get back to this tomorrow. I like both version, but probably prefer the original.

And yeah, that Maggot Brain one is special too, I even posted that one in Higgie's funk thread the other day.

I'll catch those others some other time.............right now it's..............................

HOCKEY TIME!

wife went to bed so I can get the TV now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting stuff there Higgie.

Was wondering about the Jonathan guy. Figured him for a man bun under that beanie hat. Gonna listen to the rest of it on another page.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Check out his album Gentle Spirit. It’s a masterpiece!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll look for it one day, thanks.

gotta admit, I was a little impressed seeing a Leslie speaker for that organ in the intro section. Not many younger bands using them any more.

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/16/24.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Channeling some Jeff Beck group, a little Floyd, and a touch of Mark Almond in that Love Strong song.

In it is contentment

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Higginez
Long before Nels rose to fame with Wilco he had a relatively unknown trio simply called the Nels Cline Trio.
I fronted a group that brought the trio on their first two trips to the PNW. They stayed at my place and both groups played together locally, then in Portland and Seattle. He was phenomenal! He gave me a cassette that he and his then GF had hand colored the folding insert for and then she had sewn a furry pouch for. They were numbered 1 - 150. I can't figure out what the heck I did with mine.. but I haven't had a cassette player in years either, so..
Good memories.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm
Higginez
Long before Nels rose to fame with Wilco he had a relatively unknown trio simply called the Nels Cline Trio.
I fronted a group that brought the trio on their first two trips to the PNW. They stayed at my place and both groups played together locally, then in Portland and Seattle. He was phenomenal! He gave me a cassette that he and his then GF had hand colored the folding insert for and then she had sewn a furry pouch for. They were numbered 1 - 150. I can't figure out what the heck I did with mine.. but I haven't had a cassette player in years either, so..
Good memories.
Ha,

I've got about 100 cassettes sitting here near the computer..........and no player!

One autographed by BB King in '91 or so.

In it is contentment

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Valsdad,
I believe they are now considered "collectable". You might be surprised what they fetch! A record store opened up downtown and I had a look last week. I saw a CCR album with a $120 price tag on it!! Not kidding. Old vinyl is $$ now too!

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
How cool Longarm!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Higginez
How cool Longarm!
Good times for sure.

I brought up a band from kind of your neck of the woods about the same time called Splatter Trio. Ever hear of them? Don't know whatever became of them. Drummer was Gino Robair. Not everyone's cup of tea, but whatever.

A little later I brought out NYC avante-funk bands, players who were associated with Steve Coleman. I wrote Andy Milne a letter (ha!) and told him we had a band that was pretty popular and of a similar style. Asked if he ever wanted to come to the PNW I could put together some shows. What do ya know, the dude called! He brought out his first and second iterations of Andy Milne's Dapp Theory. Freaking ASTOUNDING players. Nothing like them. Andy is still a pal, his then bassist Rich Brown of Toronto as well. Check out some of the rhythm section work from the first couple of albums.

I brought out the wonderful Kim Clarke, bassist from Defunkt. She was then playing with a band whose name I'm having a hard time remembering, dang it.. Ronnie Burrage on drums, a tenor player Rob Sheps.. Anyway she stayed at my place. Sweetheart of a gal, who was a stone BADASS MFer on bass!!

Was a lot of fun back when there were venues who payed and audiences who came out and ..gasp... LISTENED.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Leo Kottke

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to make fun of any of those guys, they ARE/were, guitar playing dudes. Just not my genre!
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bill Frisell (particularly in Power Tools) and Julian Lage as for jazz color players. We did an opener for John Scofield back in the day and he was a lot of fun.
Can Joe Pass ever be topped for bop and straight-ahead standards?
I liked Marc Ribot for his first solo record and the Tom Waits tracks, I don't know what he's been up to since.

But it's mostly classical guitar now.
Pepe Romero playing the Tàrrega composition Capricho Àrabe on an original 1888 Torres guitar once owned by the composer. There's nowhere to hide here ..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98oyvmwWde4&pp=ygUOY2FwcmljaG8gYXJhYmU%3D

(Apologies, I dunno how to embed a vid from my phone)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Not to make fun of any of those guys, they ARE/were, guitar playing dudes. Just not my genre!
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

Left out Roy Clark, genre notwithstanding he could play.

Swifty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There was a woman Chet Atkinson was married to for some time that could chime as good as him. I saw a video of them playing together battling it out.
Lindsay Buckingham did a good job in Landslide.

Edit to say I was wrong it wasn’t landslide it was “Over My Head” in a live performance I was remembering.

Last edited by rainshot; 04/17/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by longarm
Valsdad,
I believe they are now considered "collectable". You might be surprised what they fetch! A record store opened up downtown and I had a look last week. I saw a CCR album with a $120 price tag on it!! Not kidding. Old vinyl is $$ now too!

I still have some 8 tracks. Boston/Boston, Allman Brothers/Fillmore, and some others. Most likely if a player was found they would spit pea soup and do a death moan if I tried to play them.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (16gage, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,990
Posts18,481,076
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.