Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Want to stop a deer long enough for a bow or rifle shot?

Make a "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" squeal with your mouth, they will stop, and stand at attention, and hold steady long enough for a shot. I have been doing exactly that for many moons!

Works like a charm cool
I first started stopping them with a grunt or blat when I was a kid and killing them with a .22 LR and head shots. It doesn't always work at close range with archery equipment. When they immediately snap to attention focused on you, the situation is ripe for them to jump string. BTDT complete miss over the back from 25 yards with my old Browning Boss Mantis.

Like I said with the old crappy bows, gotta aim low and expect the "String Jump" to compensate at close range.

We are parsing words! Do what works for you, I have ZERO ISSUES with that, and I'll do what works for me. I guess it's all a matter of preference and experience. cool
It's obvious from this thread that some people are more tolerant of the risk of a wounded and/or lost animal once in a while than others. I've found the older I get, the lower my tolerance has become. Shots I would have taken 40 years ago I won't take today. I hate inflicting suffering on an animal.

So are you saying that xphunter should stop shooting at Elk @ 600 yards with his handguns as well?
Hanguns shyt, what I saw were mostly scoped rifles without butt stocks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Make a "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" squeal with your mouth, they will stop, and stand at attention, and hold steady long enough for a shot. I have been doing exactly that for many moons!

Works like a charm cool
I first started stopping them with a grunt or blat when I was a kid and killing them with a .22 LR and head shots. It doesn't always work at close range with archery equipment. When they immediately snap to attention focused on you, the situation is ripe for them to jump string. BTDT complete miss over the back from 25 yards with my old Browning Boss Mantis.

Like I said with the old crappy bows, gotta aim low and expect the "String Jump" to compensate at close range.

We are parsing words! Do what works for you, I have ZERO ISSUES with that, and I'll do what works for me. I guess it's all a matter of preference and experience. cool
It's obvious from this thread that some people are more tolerant of the risk of a wounded and/or lost animal once in a while than others. I've found the older I get, the lower my tolerance has become. Shots I would have taken 40 years ago I won't take today. I hate inflicting suffering on an animal.

So are you saying that xphunter should stop shooting at Elk @ 600 yards with his handguns as well?

lol.

So maybe xphunting will chime in here because I do not know how fast his bullets fly from his handguns?

But.......

@ 280 FPS an arrow will hit the mark in .08 of a second @ 80 yards, I wonder how long it takes for his handgun bullet to hit the mark at 600 yards?

Mine flies @ 293 FPS, last time I checked, so that would be faster than .08 at 80 yards and will hit the mark way faster than that at 40 yards which is out of your comfort zone.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/04/24.

KB

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
But.......

@ 280 FPS an arrow will hit the mark in .08 of a second @ 80 yards, I wonder how long it takes for his handgun bullet to hit the mark at 600 yards?

Mine flies @ 293 FPS, last time I checked, so that would be faster than .08 at 80 yards and will hit the mark way faster than that at 40 yards which is out of your comfort zone.

I think you may be one decimal point off.

80 yards is 240 feet.

At 293 feet per second time of flight would be .82 (not .08) with no drop in velocity during flight. So likely TOF would be one second or more at 80 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike70560
But.......

I think you may be one decimal point off.

80 yards is 240 feet.

At 293 feet per second time of flight would be .82 (not .08) with no drop in velocity during flight. So likely TOF would be one second or more at 80 yards.

Opps my apologies, you are correct! Less than 1 second in any case. Death arrives quickly!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Works like a charm cool

lol.

So maybe xphunting will chime in here because I do not know how fast his bullets fly from his handguns?

But.......

293 fps ain't much faster than my Browning @74 LBS. and 31" draw was moving the old XX75 ultra lights and that buck I spoke of earlier had no problem getting completely out of the way from 25 yards. Your deer must be lethargic if they can't move with 40 yards to work with and arrows going 293 fps. You got pot growing around your hunting area ?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Works like a charm cool

lol.

But.......

293 fps ain't much faster than my Browning @74 LBS. and 31" draw was moving the old XX75 ultra lights and that buck I spoke of earlier had no problem getting completely out of the way from 25 yards. Your deer must be lethargic if they can't move with 40 yards to work with and arrows going 293 fps. You got pot growing around your hunting area ?

LOL

No hard feelings Blackheart!

On this topic, we will never agree. I will keep shooting my bow at distances the way I do, as you will keep shooting the way you do.

Makes no difference to me and I wish you all the best in the field hunting! cool

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Same back at you killerbee. I'm sure one of us is just as set in our ways as the other at this point.

Last edited by Blackheart; 04/05/24.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Same back at you killerbee. I'm sure one of us is just as set in our ways as the other as this point.

I forgot to ask you do you Bow Hunt Moose from the ground?

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No, we don't have a season on moose here yet.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have and for many years. 90% of the time I hunt by myself people don't even know where I am except for the general vicinity.

I am an expert moose caller and have called bulls right into my lap, as in 10 yards, trust me it's very scary stuff, and when I have done that I wished they were 50 yards away instead of ten or even 20 because they can and will kill you lol.

It's one of the biggest adrenaline rushes you will ever get standing on the ground with a bull in rut looking straight at you while you are holding a bow in your hands. Or maybe I am just a pussy hahahaha.

I say if you are by yourself hunting moose on the ground as I do, 40-yard is the way you want to go!

Here is an example of what it's like.

KB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Works like a charm cool
I first started stopping them with a grunt or blat when I was a kid killing them with .22 rimfires. It doesn't always work at close range with archery equipment. When they immediately snap to attention focused on you, the situation is ripe for them to jump string. BTDT complete miss over the back from 25 yards with my old Browning Boss Mantis.

Complains about LR game shooting.

Brags about .22 rimfire deer shooting and missing with archery gear.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Works like a charm cool
I first started stopping them with a grunt or blat when I was a kid killing them with .22 rimfires. It doesn't always work at close range with archery equipment. When they immediately snap to attention focused on you, the situation is ripe for them to jump string. BTDT complete miss over the back from 25 yards with my old Browning Boss Mantis.

Complains about LR game shooting.

Brags about .22 rimfire deer shooting and missing with archery gear.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A .22 rimfire is all I had at the time. We needed the meat so I made it work. Those taken were all head shot at close range and dropped instantly with no suffering, which is certainly more than you can say for yourself and your long range rifles. As to the archery buck, it was the second deer I'd ever launched an arrow at with a compound bow. Youtube and hunting shows are littered with video footage of deer that "jumped string" and were missed or poorly hit by "expert bow hunters" with many archery kills under their belts so I don't feel particularly guilty or embarassed.

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I was sure that Ex-Spurt-Worm’s thread would go at least 20 pages.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
How do you keep the bullet from dropping?
You shoot way out there and the bullets got to drop some.

Boy....that's an astounding revelation! Why...I thought bullets were like onto laser lights!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a very dear friend who has shot more deer than 99 % of all deer hunters killed many elk too. he made a shot on a young 5x5 bull elk and killed that bull opening mourning that made me laugh . let his 75 year old friend shoot 1st the old hunter missed Dan asked : Frank how high did you hold over that bull with the 280 ? Frank said a 1 foot ,Dan said Frank thats a half mile at least Dan was using a 300 Weatherby mag. DAN decided to use his Kentucky windage method and shot and he is good at it and this is what he told me he did this Dan shot off hand held a elk and 1/2 elk over that bull knock that bull down 1st shot. sure made me laugh when they told me, Frank said he seen the shot too . Dan has always has had that uncanny ability to shoot animals running and shooting animals a long ways out too. but as he and myself have got older these big Magnums we don`t care for that recoil anymore Dan now shoots as i do 257 Weatherby mags. less recoil and no headaches. good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Infantile questions and other dumbass statements!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

my statement did happen this hunter shooting at animals is unreal at kill`n animals close , far , running it don`t matter , he is an amazing shot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like another Ouigley down under shot.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

my statement did happen this hunter shooting at animals is unreal at kill`n animals close , far , running it don`t matter , he is an amazing shot.
I doubt it was a half mile if he only held an elk and a half high.

Makes for a good story though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that`s about 10 feet over an elk plus a hop up 3OO Weatherby mag. with to much powder ,bring your rifle up he can show you how to kill chit off hand . he has killed plenty animals at 1/2 mile he practices at a 1/2 mile a lot. i just did the Berger Ballistic chart and with his 300 Weatherby Mag. 150 gr. bullet he uses at 3400 FPS at 800 yards its 121 inches higher needed from center of elk that makes him right in there at 880 yards . so it appears your wrong ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/26/24.

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.