Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
not shooters of the d.auto, i mean serious collectors or even those part of the BCA. lmk. thanks.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a collector, but a shooter. I have a nice 1961 black receiver Twelvette. The only thing I would change about it is the choke. It is full and I would much prefer improved or even modified. They are neat guns.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
anyone else?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Not a collector, but a shooter. I have a nice 1961 black receiver Twelvette. The only thing I would change about it is the choke. It is full and I would much prefer improved or even modified. They are neat guns.

Expat

Check with "Briley - Houston, TX".
For about $300, they will thread the barrel and you get a choice of 3 tubes with the choke of your choice.
I bought a Rem "Sportsman" in 16 gauge. The barrel S/N didn't match the reciever. Because it was choked IC and I wanted to hunt turkeys, I sent it to Briley!
I got an X-Full tube, a tube half-way between full and mod and a tube half-way between mod and IC.
Now I've got a shotgun that I really like and I can make it fit just about any situation!

Not everybody wants to alter a collectible, but if you have no intention of getting rid of the gun, why not make it as versatile as possible?

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 04/16/24.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have no issues with relieving a fixed choke to better suit todays shells; but I see no cause to have one tapped for tubes like that. Anyone who has a classic shotgun with a fixed choke can find the scratch to buy a more versatile shotgun with tubes already installed for "versatility"

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a grey Lightweight DA from before they were the Twelvette. It’s a plain barrel MOD choke. I initially thought I needed a fancier one with a rib and IC choke so bought a later production Dragon Black one with those features.

Turns out the grey one doesn’t miss very often and I never used the black one so it made the trip to Tulsa a couple weeks ago and belongs to someone else now.

I think by and large we make too big a deal about chokes. If the gun fits and you’re on you’ll kill birds, if not all the fiddling in the world isn’t going to help much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the gun, but it throws a pretty dang tight pattern. It has a plain 27” barrel. Great to carry and I love the novelty of the action.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
if anyone wants a trap full 30" double bead vr bbl only, lmk in pm.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.