Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Not to make fun of any of those guys, they ARE/were, guitar playing dudes. Just not my genre!
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

Left out Roy Clark, genre notwithstanding he could play.

Oh, I left out a bunch. Those guys were just what popped into mind quickly!
Another nobody thinks about was Andy Griffith.
I don't care much for his shows (Griffith/Knotts), but I'll watch them in hopes of getting to watch him play.

The episode where "Rafe Hollister" (Jack Prince) sings a song accompanied by Griffith! Awesome!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 04/16/24.
GB4

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by killerv
Man I love Leslie West, Hendrix would always comment when asked about being the worlds greatest guitarist….”go ask leslie”

Going to see steve morse and the dixie dreggs tomorrow night! His tone can cure covid

Lot of memories being jarred here. Saw DD at a beer joint in Birmingham several times. Can’t remember the name of the place but they were semi regulars. Not big at all. Sat with a buddy once on the front line maybe 6 feet from the mics. Stood outside having a smoke with them during a break. Electric fiddle guy was memorable. Pretty sure they did a name change a good while back to just Dregs. A couple more vinyls I need to spin.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to make fun of any of those guys, they ARE/were, guitar playing dudes. Just not my genre!
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

If "finger pickers rule" why no props to the one greatest original, the one whose style earned me a tryout at the New England Conservatory of Music... (which I so fraking tanked!!! eek):

MERLE TRAVIS

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by killerv
Man I love Leslie West, Hendrix would always comment when asked about being the worlds greatest guitarist….”go ask leslie”

Going to see steve morse and the dixie dregs tomorrow night! His tone can cure covid

Lot of memories being jarred here. Saw DD at a beer joint in Birmingham several times. Can’t remember the name of the place but they were semi regulars. Not big at all. Sat with a buddy once on the front line maybe 6 feet from the mics. Stood outside having a smoke with them during a break. Electric fiddle guy was memorable. Pretty sure they did a name change a good while back to just Dregs. A couple more vinyls I need to spin.

Still Dixie Dregs, He's gonna do his solo thing Steve Morse band and come back and do DD after that, two shows in one. He recruited Dream Theaters keyboard player for the tour also, guy is phenomenal.

One of the first concerts my dad ever took me to was DD back in Macon in early '90s. I picked up guitar shortly after that.

That Fiddle guy become a anesthesiologist , but I believe he is back on this current tour.

Last edited by killerv; 04/17/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

If "finger pickers rule" why no props to the one greatest original, the one whose style earned me a tryout at the New England Conservatory of Music... (which I so fraking tanked!!! eek):

MERLE TRAVIS

Without a doubt! 👍

Ok, so you tanked your tryout, but that still puts you above the run of the mill string plucker! LOL!
Me?
Got a really nice Martin, but all I can do is strum it. If it wasn't for "fake note", I'd never be able to play.
I'll never earn 10 cents playing, but I can make me happy!

One of the first people to start me playing was Jim. Jim had visited Branson, MO at one time and had the opportunity to play. They begged him to come play for one of the venues up there. Jim wasn't leaving Podunk, OK!
Until COVID-19 (💉 vaccine) took the owner, I used to hang out at a weekly acoustic jam. I was surprised at the quality of players that showed up! Some of those guys were amazingly good! One of the guys played for Elvis for a while. You never know! One of the best was a local meth head that could absolutely make a mandolin sit up and beg!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 04/17/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t Travis pick, but I gots me a mean claw hammer…. lol

Let’s see those LP Jr’s!!!!!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

Oh, I left out a bunch.

We're going to see Tommy Emmanuel this summer, always wanted to see him live. He's playing with Jerry Douglas.

That's a great list. Two of my favorites are Leo Kottke and John Fahey.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

MERLE TRAVIS

Without a doubt! 👍

Ok, so you tanked your tryout, but that still puts you above the run of the mill string plucker! LOL!
Me?
Got a really nice Martin, but all I can do is strum it. If it wasn't for "fake note", I'd never be able to play.
I'll never earn 10 cents playing, but I can make me happy!

One of the first people to start me playing was Jim. Jim had visited Branson, MO at one time and had the opportunity to play. They begged him to come play for one of the venues up there. Jim wasn't leaving Podunk, OK!
Until COVID-19 (💉 vaccine) took the owner, I used to hang out at a weekly acoustic jam. I was surprised at the quality of players that showed up! Some of those guys were amazingly good! One of the guys played for Elvis for a while. You never know! One of the best was a local meth head that could absolutely make a mandolin sit up and beg!

My entire family plays stringed instruments. Where I'm from we didn't have TV until the 1980s. I have several relatives that "had it" and made good lives/careers in music (teaching, etc). I simply didn't/don't. Maybe the reason I was so successful in engineering/project management. My playing is technically always pretty darn good...but the "soul" just isn't there. It's more a math exercise for me. Funny thing - I have a cousin who has been immensely successful in guitar. He got me the day school/program tryout at NEC; he graduated from there with all kinds of honors. One in millions. But he is also so smart he knew he'd not make it in the entertainment world on stage. He went on to Missouri for an electrical engineering degree and became a superstar in audio/sound engineering.

It's a strange, brutal unique industry. I'd love to hear the stories from some of the professionals here like longarm that actually had the talent, rolled the dice, and won...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higginez
I can’t Travis pick, but I gots me a mean claw hammer…. lol

Let’s see those LP Jr’s!!!!!

Hey,
Just like I said above ie the basses, I'll be at our Alabama place hunting turkeys for a bit. All I have here are the above mentioned Vox hollow body bass and my old J-45. Will snap some pics when I get back to Idaho.

BUT - to clarify - none of mine are special to anyone but me. I have multiples because my career put me all over the world and I'd seek out guitars from that place and time, then bring them home once the project was complete. Many would call it a trash/music store collection, but to me it's kind of "my life/career" in memories!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would add: If you want to see THE definitive Junior collection, check this out with Charlie Starr from Blackberry Smoke, one of my absolute favorite artists since I saw him at an Auburn reunion near 20 years ago:

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Richard Smith
Tommy Emmanuel

Finger pickers rule!

Oh, I left out a bunch.

We're going to see Tommy Emmanuel this summer, always wanted to see him live. He's playing with Jerry Douglas.

That's a great list. Two of my favorites are Leo Kottke and John Fahey.

The acoustic venue where I played had Richard Smith several times. First time I saw him, his wife, Julie, was with him! She is as good with the cello as Richard is with a guitar! Quite a show!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wanted to get a gift for the wifes b-day, The Dregs and Steve Morse play the Carolina Theater in Durham tomorrow night.

She said naaa, doesn't care.. What?

Tommy Emanuel plays there on the 7th... she said, Naaaa it's a Tuesday..

There's nothing like live music.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a little of Richard Smith

Richard Smith with wife Julie Adams - "Blackberry Blossom"

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 04/20/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TOP IT grin:

Charlie playing Duanes SG...

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
TOP IT grin:

Charlie playing Duanes SG...

Daaaang. But kept waiting for a slide tube to come out of his pocket.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t seem to be on the same page with the high post count pickers here so I’ll just throw out one more then cozy in with my J-45 and an amazing Wild Turkey Master’s Keep One I’ve kept back for when I got here to my lakehouse.

A finger picker in the Travis style I played with who came by it naturally. Don’t know how many of you know of Thom Bresh, but he was Merle Travis’ son, and a genius in his own right! RIP Merle and Thom. NOT Forgotten…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t seem to be on the same page with the high post count pickers here so I’ll just throw out one more then cozy in with my J-45 and an amazing Wild Turkey Master’s Keep One I’ve kept back for when I got here to my lakehouse.

A finger picker in the Travis style I played with who came by it naturally. Don’t know how many of you know of Thom Bresh, but he was Merle Travis’ son, and a genius in his own right! RIP Merle and Thom. NOT Forgotten…

Needs more fuzz!!!!!

LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higginez

Needs more fuzz!!!!!

LOL
And to heck with them two fellers.

Who's the cute brunette in the skirt next to them

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some more nice licks from SRV. Even has a visual.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 673, 17 invisible), 1,258 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,128
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.