Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've made one kill @ +/- 590 yds. and that was a "Hail Mary" combined with luck.

Never much tried my hand at long range shooting, much less long range hunting.

But I may just give it a try this year. Hogs only, no deer.

One of the few places on my lease I can shoot over 300 yds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I call it the canopy.

Anywho, the distances ranged with my Leica Rangefinder @ the circles are +/- 760 yds on the left, +/- 900 yds on the right and +/- 1,200 yds in the middle. Give or take.

Thinking about setting up a feeder for hogs @ the 760 yd. distance.

Among others, I have rifles in 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, 7PRC, 300PRC, and 338 RUM.

Just fer' schitz n' giggles, what would be your preference.

Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For cleaning out Hog populations, I would go with the 6.5 PRC.
Light recoil and decent ballistics.
This is assuming the gun shoots well enough to kill at that distance (760 yards).
How does it group at 800 yards in good conditions?
If you are going to be shooting off of at that portable shooting rest in the picture, how good can you group with it at 700-800 yards in good conditions?
Factory ammo or reloading?
What bullet are you considering?
If it shoots well in your rifle, the 147 ELD-M would be a consideration

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It would be easy to zero any of the named rifle/cartridges at the 760 mark. But, how good are you at calling conditions when hunting? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Ofcourse, no one would be forcing you to shoot if conditions weren`t right.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by xphunter
This is assuming the gun shoots well enough to kill at that distance (760 yards).
If you are going to be shooting off of at that portable shooting rest in the picture, how good can you group with it at 700-800 yards in good conditions?

Originally Posted by CGPAUL
It would be easy to zero any of the named rifle/cartridges at the 760 mark. But, how good are you at calling conditions when hunting? That would be the deciding factor for me.

All of the above is to be determined.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, let’s just say the topography of the places I’ve hunted over the last sixty years does not lend itself to shots much past 200 yds. The shooting club to which I frequent, the range is limited to 300 yds. Consequently, the ability/capability to shoot well at distances over 200 yds. has not been the prime directive.

However, it’s good to have a goal and a plan to achieve that goal. This would be a new challenge.

You mention the 6.5 PRC. I have a Browning Max Long range chambered for that Cartridge.

I’ve only killed with it to 200 yds.

Here are pix from a range session where I shot it to 300 yds, with factory 143 Gr. ELD-X. At present I do not load match bullets.

Maybe a fluke, but its a start.

Anywho, In the coming weeks I plan to take several rifles to the range and shoot @ 300 to see which works. I'll be going back to my lease in a week or two and I'm going to scout out a couple other areas that are easier to get to/from than the Canopy.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/17/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If recoil is not real bothersome for you, grab the two rifles that shoot the best for you.

Set up some AR500 10" steel (paint them white) where you can shoot (start at 300 or 400 yards), and set them up in 100 yard increments or at random distances.
Make your furthest one around 750 to 800 yards.
In other words, give yourself the opportunity to actually practice at distance.
Use shooting positions that you will use for your hog killing.
Do you have a chronograph and a ballistic app?
You don't have to have that, but it makes it a bit easier.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone has to start somewhere.
The paper and steel will show you where you are at with XYZ rifle and yourself over a period of time.

I have ordered a number of animal targets for WY-SHOT from Brad at Atlas Targets.
Good guy.
https://www.atlastargetworks.com/collections/ar500-targets

"Maybe a fluke, but its a start.
Anywho, In the coming weeks I plan to take several rifles to the range and shoot @ 300 to see which works. I'll be going back to my lease in a week or two and I'm going to scout out a couple other areas that are easier to get to/from than the Canopy."

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to be shooting at a steel pig for practice...

https://www.atlastargetworks.com/collections/ar500-targets/products/ar500-feral-hog-target

https://www.atlastargetworks.com/co...ral-hog-target-w-reactive-vital-and-base

I have the bottom target, but the top one would be cheaper

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
XPhunter,

first let me say thanks for taking the time to be so informative.

My boys have a shop where they do custom fabrication and a pantograph. I had not got that far in the planning but the steel pig targets is a good idea.

I acquired the new Garmin Chrono a few months back and have a number of ballistic apps downloaded on my i-phone.

I am not particularly recoil sensitive and when shooting off the bench, I employ a Lead Sled II with additonal weights. I shoot a number of boomers and it helps me avoid developing a flinch.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/17/24.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Think the 7PRC is the sweet spot, particularly with something like the 180 ELD-M.

I'm wanting one pretty bad but few places around here offer the distance that one is needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your welcome.
I have never owned a lead sled. I think I might have used one a long time ago...
You will have more flexibility in shooting pigs, if you have a rifle with a good muzzle brake, and are not bound to a lead sled....Unless you will be shooting pigs from a bench or solid table.
You may notice your point of impact changing when going from a lead sled to other shooting positions.
This is something to be looking for.
I would rather have a rifle that someone is comfortable shooting, than a big boomer, that is going to create issues.

A friend of mine has a 6.5 PRC rifle, and he shoots the factory Hornady 143 ELD-M. His MV is 2850 fps.
in our atmospheric conditions, he is going to be around 2000 feet per second impact velocity at 750 yards.
You do not need to jump up in cartridge size or caliber.
If your 6.8 Western shoots good that would work too.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You know you place far better than anyone. Would it be massively counterproductive (and is it safe) to just set steel targets in the feeder opening you’re thinking about using and practicing for a couple of trips?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glenn,
Always enjoy reading your threads, my friend!

Wish you the best of luck on your quest.

Me and a few of my local buddies spend time at our local range, shooting out to 600 yds on steel, with loads that don't have enough ooomph for hunting with, but it gives us plenty of good practice, between hunting season and varmint season.

It pays dividends when deer season rolls around...

Last year at this time I had been spending time shooting at 300 and 400 yd steel, with a 6 x 45 on a Savage action while reloading 223 cases with 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Unique. Also did the same with a 223. Got pretty simple with practice.

750 rounds in 5 months. That set me back the price of a 1 pound container of Unique. Cheap trigger time and plenty of practice for the old hand to eye coordination getting tuned up. Come deer season, a deer at 300 yds looks like a dump truck thru your scope. A couple thousand rounds over the summer at sage rats helps also. That makes a deer look like a dump truck out there also thru the scope, at 300 yds or more.

Trigger time works just like practicing in high school sports did back in our youth. Light loads teach you trajectory for one the cheap and stretches out your barrel life dramatically. This morning going over to the range ( 3 miles away) and will be shooting steel at the 300 and 400 yd mark with 17.5 grains of W 296 in a 223, with 40 and 55 grain bullets. Always trying new powder charges of powder you can find on the shelves. This yields 400 rounds out of a pound of powder. And I was able to pick up 4 pounds of this in one container, with a cost of under $30 a pound, with a military discount. Igniting it with Remington 5 1/2 pistol primers is working out just fine also. Save those small rifle primers and large rifle primers for hunting in the field.

have a great day my friend!

cheers
seafire.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IF, the Factory Hornady 147 grain ELD-M ammo shoots good for you in your rifle...

Specs say 2910 fps MV with a 24" barrel.
If you have a longer barrel, say a 26", you will gain around 40-50 fps on average -2950-2960 MV

With a 2131 fps impact velocity at my elev/70 degrees (100 yard zero) at 750 yards:
14.5 MOA for drop, and your wind correction for a 10 MPH full value (True crosswind) is 3 MOA = close to 23" of drift.

You will learn quickly that the wind speed & direction may be different down range than it is at your shooting position.
There is much to be said about that, but that is a start.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Great post XP. I'd also throw this out there, how often does the OP practice at those distances? If possible, I'd set up steel plates in those open spots, and practice. He will find out real quick, which rifle works the best for him. I also like the 147 ELDM.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that setting up steel where you expect to shoot pigs would be the best possible way to prepare.

I also agree with the 6.5 PRC and 147 ELD or 7 PRC and 180 ELD suggestions, depending on how windy things get in that location.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by geedubya

Without getting too deep in the weeds, let’s just say the topography of the places I’ve hunted over the last sixty years does not lend itself to shots much past 200 yds. The shooting club to which I frequent, the range is limited to 300 yds. Consequently, the ability/capability to shoot well at distances over 200 yds. has not been the prime directive.

However, it’s good to have a goal and a plan to achieve that goal. This would be a new challenge.

You mention the 6.5 PRC. I have a Browning Max Long range chambered for that Cartridge.

Here are pix from a range session where I shot it to 300 yds, with factory 143 Gr. ELD-X. At present I do not load match bullets.

Anywho, In the coming weeks I plan to take several rifles to the range and shoot @ 300 to see which works. I'll be going back to my lease in a week or two and I'm going to scout out a couple other areas that are easier to get to/from than the Canopy.

Ya!

GWB

That browning will probably shoot a fair amount better groups at 300 yards if you play with the factory ammo seating depth. I'd personally want my groups tightened up a bit for 800 yard hunting. Seat deeper at .003" intervals until you find a better node. The nodes are typically every .006" with the hornadys but may need to go aways to find an optimal seating depth. That's my recommendation

The last browning I that I played with the factory ammo seating depth went from 7" 500 yard groups down to 2.5" Factory hornady ammo generally has a good optimum charge weight but no way they can determine the seating depth node for different rifles. Looking at your groups your definately not in a great seating depth node

Last edited by Trystan; 04/19/24.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great suggestion

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Geedub, 6.5 PRC with the Hornady ELDM 147 Match bullets handloaded to your rifles preferred seating depth and then go forth and slay piggies!

My Kelbly's rifle in 6.5 PRC is sub .5 MOA, all it requires is for me to do my part correctly.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by geedubya

Ya!

GWB

That browning will probably shoot a fair amount better groups at 300 yards if you play with the factory ammo seating depth. I'd personally want my groups tightened up a bit for 800 yard hunting. Seat deeper at 3 thou intervals until you find a better node. You should see a node typically every 6 thou with the hornadys. That's my recommendation

The last browning I that I played with the factory ammo seating depth went from 7" 500 yard groups down to 2.5" Factory hornady ammo generally has a good optimum charge weight but no way they can determine the seating depth node for different rifles. Looking at your groups your definately not in a great seating depth node
Good advice. The bolded part, however, should say that the nodes are typically about 0.006” wide, not that there is a node every 0.006”.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No reason not to stretch out your shooting even if you just shoot steel.

I would start with big steel plates so you will see exactly where each bullet impacts. Animal shaped steel is fun but it's slower to learn wind calls/elevation because it's not clear exactly where a miss went.

It would be pretty cool to have a nice large steel target at all your different locations just to practice different conditions with different rifles. Spray paint the steel when ever you add feed to the feeder.

Once you feel confident in your firing solutions it could be time to start whacking the pigs.

I didn't study your locations but being able to shoot on multiple feeders would be a good way to up the pig removal.

Everyone should have the LR tool in the tool box even if they choose not to use it. Looks like you could do some fun shooting with a bit of effort.

It's not like you don't have a rifle or 2 to test out at LR.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 04/19/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,764
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.