Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’m not sure where the Air Force does their testing but the Navy has been fitting various tactical jets with drone packages for a long time at Point Magu. One of the T-28Bs we flew in Hawaii was set up as a drone control aircraft and one wing was “heavier” than the other because it had some extra radios or some such in the left wing.

With drones you can fly a real jet to the restricted area and set up the target aircraft in very challenging profiles to see if your missile can do what you think it should. It’s also a way to verify service life of missiles. We ALWAYS flew with missiles on board and their flight hours, landings and traps are tracked just like the aircraft. When one of its service life parameters is exceeded it’s taken out of service and relegated to testing. During missile shoots if the failure rate is too high during missile that means you are flying with them too long. If there are no failures that means you could carry them longer before they’re taken out of service.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks for that.

I recently saw another article about setting up a different set of F 16s as target drones, designated QF 16. I geuss this is an ongoing thing.

One would hope these aircraft are at end of service life.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 04/16/24.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Third Paragraph: I mentioned the possibility of drones being used to attack American Citizens. It was actually more than a bit tongue in cheek, and I was grinning when I wrote it.

LOL, nice backtrack but you're as full of shìt as a Christmas turkey. I'll concede your point and agree that you didn't say the primary purpose of the retrofitted F-16s was to bomb US citizens but your statement was definitely not tongue-in-cheek.

You defended the premise in several subsequent posts. Now you realize how silly it was. Better late than never I guess.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by smokepole
He has no command or understanding of history.

You have no command of the English language.

Oh, but I do. I'll be happy to cross swords with you again.

LOL, "cross swords," very dramatic. Almost as dramatic as saying the US Air Force plans to bomb US citizens with F-16 drones.

You said I have no command of history, so go ahead and cite the history of the US Air Force bombing US citizens. And/or developing a specialized aircraft for that task.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He has no command or understanding of history.

You have no command of the English language.

Oh, but I do. I'll be happy to cross swords with you again.

LOL, "cross swords," very dramatic. Almost as dramatic as saying the US Air Force plans to bomb US citizens with F-16 drones.

You said I have no command of history, so go ahead and cite the history of the US Air Force bombing US citizens. And/or developing a specialized aircraft for that task.

Look it up yourself, fool.

I'm not wasting my time trying to justify anything to you, moron.

Everyone here knows our government is corrupt. Using the Air Force against citizens certainly isn't out of the question. They've already used rifles and tanks. Jan 6th wasn't a problem for them. And where are those people now.

Had your dumbass on ignore forever. Obviously, that's where idiots like you need to be.

So GFY. NOT MEANT AS A JOKE.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Third Paragraph: I mentioned the possibility of drones being used to attack American Citizens. It was actually more than a bit tongue in cheek, and I was grinning when I wrote it.

LOL, nice backtrack but you're as full of shìt as a Christmas turkey. I'll concede your point and agree that you didn't say the primary purpose of the retrofitted F-16s was to bomb US citizens but your statement was definitely not tongue-in-cheek.

You defended the premise in several subsequent posts. Now you realize how silly it was. Better late than never I guess.
You are an idiot.

You put words in my mouth, then jumped all over me for your words.

Everyone else "got it".

Maybe you need your funny bone augmented.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You are an idiot.

You put words in my mouth......

LOL, bullshìt. You not only said the words, you defended them more than once.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

There's nothing to look up, numbnuts.

Does this mean I'm off your Christmas card list now?

What a disappointment, LOL.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, I am quite sure that the Air Force would fire on Americans if so ordered. Anyone who believes differently is dumber than a turkey. Maybe not all of them, but someone could be found who would do it to “save democracy”.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

There's nothing to look up, numbnuts.

Does this mean I'm off your Christmas card list now?

What a disappointment, LOL.

Like I said, turd. GFY. Moron.

You spend your days looking to start a fight wiith
someone.

Go get some sun, dumbass.

And btw, nobody’s lol' ing. Jerk.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Yes, I am quite sure that the Air Force would fire on Americans if so ordered. Anyone who believes differently is dumber than a turkey. Maybe not all of them, but someone could be found who would do it to “save democracy”.

Exactly. They're "white nationalist" terrorists. Or, closer to home, "insurrectionists".

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm wondering who's going to pilot the drones remotely?

Which doesn't make sense anyway as they are primarily combat fighters not bombers. How do you dogfight remotely?

Unless they are to be enhanced with AI to handle real time fighting, then we'd have something...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Exactly. They're "white nationalist" terrorists. Or, closer to home, "insurrectionists".

LOL, you guys better clue in Idaho shooter, he thinks the Air Force is turning F-16s into drones in case they can't find a pilot willing to drop the bombs on US citizens.

Of course, that blows right by the fact that drones have pilots, so there's that, LOL.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They've been turning manned planes into unmanned drones since Korea. Usually to serve as targets for live-fire exercises. They use older planes that would have soon gone to the boneyard anyway. It's not a big deal.

Elgin is a wristwatch; the Air Force Base is Eglin.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The spelling is Eglin, spell check tends to change it, to Elgin but the base is not just huge, it is one of the largest military complexes in the world by land mass size. It goes from near the Alabama state line to the Gulf of Mexico, then has thousands of square miles of ranges, plural, in the Gulf of Mexico. Every branch of service has a good size presence on Eglin, US Army (Ranger Jungle school Camp Rudder, 7th SF Group Hq), US Navy (Naval Warfare EOD school), State Dept (Embassy Counter Terroist training School) USAF (15th, 78th Air Force, AGGOS, AFSOC, USAF R&D Center) The RQS (rescue and SPl Ops) has a unit that has the largest concentration of PJs in one place in the world. Then they have a separate Unit for remote vehicles of all types for land and air. An of course Eglin is the home base of the special 130s, The Spectere AKC-130 gun ships and the Talons. Plus a Coast Guard Base.

This is the base where Dolittle practiced for the Tokyo raid, it has hosted many famous mission practice sessions, like the Son Tey raid, Iran IBM personell rescue, etc., including building entire towns and compounds plus it is used to train many friendly nation's personnel.

Last edited by Rapier; 04/17/24.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got my FAC training there (the school was jokingly called "FAC U") at Hurlburt Field, also known as Aux Field #9. Later, I served as the Chief of Public Affairs for the Armament Division for my two-week annual Reserve training. Eglin is where all USAF advanced weapons are developed and tested.

I'll be going back one last time in October to the Fini Reunion of Forward Air Controllers. We're all at or nearing 80 now, and there aren't many of us left.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I

LOL, you guys better clue in Idaho shooter, he thinks the Air Force is turning F-16s into drones in case they can't find a pilot willing to drop the bombs on US citizens.

Of course, that blows right by the fact that drones have pilots, so there's that, LOL.
You just can not let it go, can you.

Drones have pilots......yes today.

Have you ever heard of Artificial Intelligence, and progress. It will not be long until drones are fully autonomous, if some are not already. That is the goal.

Now, that you have been served your maximum allowable daily ration of education, I will only make note that humor is funniest when there is a kernel of truth in the joke.

You have been shown the kernel here numerous times.

When your audience is too dim to understand the joke, it will never be funny to him, no matter how many times it is explained.

With that acknowledgement, I give up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know why someone didn't catch the Elgin/Eglin thing earlier in the thread.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Have you ever heard of Artificial Intelligence, and progress. It will not be long until drones are fully autonomous, if some are not already. That is the goal.

Now, that you have been served your maximum allowable daily ration of education, I will only make note that humor is funniest when there is a kernel of truth in the joke.

When your audience is too dim to understand the joke, it will never be funny to him, no matter how many times it is explained.

Too funny. Say something really stupid and then pretend the guy who calls you out for it "just can't understand."

AI can't reliably and safely drive a delivery truck on land and you think AI will be used to pilot an F-16 and drop ordnance sometime soon.

That's hilarious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Too funny. Say something really stupid and then pretend the guy who calls you out for it "just can't understand."

AI can't reliably and safely drive a delivery truck on land and you think AI will be used to pilot an F-16 and drop ordnance sometime soon.

That's hilarious.

Are you predicting the future now?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.