Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by DBT
'For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished...."
Fulfilling is not disappearing. The law had Jesus all the way though it. His coming and his death and resurrection fulfilled the reason for all the sacrifices. Jesus condensed it all into 2 rules: Love the Lord with all your heart, and love you neighbor as yourself. Those 2 rules are the law in it final form.
Also, the law has never applied to gentiles. It was strictly for Jews. That's made clear in the NT.

Everything has not been accomplished. And the words are clear: not one jot or stroke of the pen of the Law of the prophets shall disappear till all is accomplished.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by antlers
Jeremiah’s Old Covenant prophecy announced God’s promise of a New Covenant in Jeremiah 31:31–34. What’s “New” about the New Covenant…? What exactly makes it new?
It boils down to, you can't be good enough, or do enough good things, or abide by any laws, enough to please God and get into Heaven on your own. The ancient Jews had hundreds of laws, and most people have trouble keeping the Ten Commandments, much less hundreds. The Old Covenant was not eliminated, and Jesus spoke of many of the truths written in them, but He became the conduit to God and nothing else was needed. Jesus came to fulfill the prophesy and to be the final sacrifice.

That is not even remotely close. We are stained by sin which is the hindrance to Heaven while acceptance of Christ is the key to unlock the door since He died for your sins. You speak more like a Muslim and of a god which bases entry to Heaven on a credit system. Perhaps spend some time with a known authority on what Christianity is about before offering a flawed summary of the faith.

Last edited by bluefish; 04/17/24.

The way life should be.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bluefish
Jeremiah’s Old Covenant prophecy announced God’s promise of a New Covenant in Jeremiah 31:31–34. What’s “New” about the New Covenant…? What exactly makes it new?
It boils down to, you can't be good enough, or do enough good things, or abide by any laws, enough to please God and get into Heaven on your own. The ancient Jews had hundreds of laws, and most people have trouble keeping the Ten Commandments, much less hundreds. The Old Covenant was not eliminated, and Jesus spoke of many of the truths written in them, but He became the conduit to God and nothing else was needed. Jesus came to fulfill the prophesy and to be the final sacrifice.

That is not even remotely close. We are stained by sin which is the hindrance to Heaven while acceptance of Christ is the key to unlock the door since He died for your sins.
What do you not understand about fulfilling prophesy? He came to be the Savior of prophesy. You might want to rethink that post.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Your earlier summation is incorrect at least as you wrote it. Entry to Heaven is not a matter of good enough.

The way life should be.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Your earlier summation is incorrect at least as you wrote it. Entry to Heaven is not a matter of good enough.
Right! That's exactly what I said. The old law was about trying doing things to be good enough to please God, and Jesus changed everything and said that it was not possible without Him. I don't know how else to word it.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/17/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
An older fable and a newer fable. Religions are meant to control the masses.

Sounds like you have not done any research for yourself.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Right! That's exactly what I said. The old law was about trying doing things to be good enough to please God, and Jesus changed everything and said that it was not possible without Him. I don't know how else to word it.

The words attributed to Jesus say that he had not come to abolish the law of the prophets, but to fulfill. To fulfill does not mean to abolish or to modify.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Old Covenant was temporal and conditional. It was between God and the physical nation of Israel, which is now long gone. IF Israel did what God said, then He would bless their nation. If they did not do what God said (and they rarely did)... well, read the aforementioned book of Jeremiah.

The Old Covenant was not salvific, and doesn't really have much to do with the salvation of individual believers. Salvation was ALWAYS by faith.

The New Covenant is ALL about salvation. It is not strictly temporal, it is eternal. The New Covenant is between God and believers only. It is written in the hearts of the faithful....the new Israel, the body of Christ.

And all the promises will be fulfilled and given to that new Israel.... those promises and SO much more!

"And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by geedubya
Rather than trying to re-create the wheel, a cursory answer.

https://www.learnreligions.com/old-vs-new-covenant-700361

ya!

GWB

So simple even a sinner like me can understand it, thanks geedub and antlers! 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
The Old Covenant was temporal and conditional. It was between God and the physical nation of Israel, which is now long gone. IF Israel did what God said, then He would bless their nation. If they did not do what God said (and they rarely did)... well, read the aforementioned book of Jeremiah.

The Old Covenant was not salvific, and doesn't really have much to do with the salvation of individual believers. Salvation was ALWAYS by faith.

The New Covenant is ALL about salvation. It is not strictly temporal, it is eternal. The New Covenant is between God and believers only. It is written in the hearts of the faithful....the new Israel, the body of Christ.

And all the promises will be fulfilled and given to that new Israel.... those promises and SO much more!

"And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

Which completely ignores the words attributed to Jesus.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The New Covenant promised spiritual blessings to Israel, whereas the other covenants promised physical or earthly blessings to Israel (a nation, land, etc).

Paul said the church, the body of Christ, also receives the spiritual benefits of the New Covenant, which include the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit, the forgiveness of sins, knowledge of Jesus, and a new heart, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

God has given us the Holy Spirit as a down payment of our redemption, 2 Corinthians 1:22, 5:5, and Ephesians 1:13-14.

The basis of the New Covenant is the spiritual benefit of Jesus’ death for our sins and His resurrection. The New Covenant is an empowered Old Covenant, empowered by the Holy Spirit, Jeremiah 31:31-40 and Ezekiel 36:24-32.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Quite a bit of difference between this guy and the guy that Sang "Eve of Destruction"

Take this bread
I give to you
And as you do
Remember Me
This bread is My body
Broken just for you
Take it, eat it
Each time you do
Remember Me
Remember Me

Take this cup
I fill for you
As you do
Remember Me
This cup is the new covenant
I'm makin' with you
Take it, drink it
Each time you do
Remember Me
Remember Me

Take this love
I've given you
And as you do
Remember Me
Remember Me
Remember Me
Remember Me

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/17/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The writer of Hebrews, in chapter 11, notes the faith of the OT people listed as being what made them saints.

In this thread it is being said that the Old Covenant was based on works.

The two views cannot exist and be equally true.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by geedubya
Quite a bit of difference between this guy and the guy that Sang "Eve of Destruction"

Take this bread
I give to you
And as you do
Remember Me
This bread is My body
Broken just for you
Take it, eat it
Each time you do
Remember Me
Remember Me

Take this cup
I fill for you
As you do
Remember Me
This cup is the new covenant
I'm makin' with you
Take it, drink it
Each time you do
Remember Me
Remember Me

Take this love
I've given you
And as you do
Remember Me
Remember Me
Remember Me
Remember Me

ya!

GWB

I appreciate that Christ, through the means of the bread and wine, comes to us in Presence. We are not left as orphans.

Last edited by IZH27; 04/18/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The "New" one has less contents for the same price. But it's "Improved."

lolol !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IZH27
The writer of Hebrews, in chapter 11, notes the faith of the OT people listed as being what made them saints.

In this thread it is being said that the Old Covenant was based on works.

The two views cannot exist and be equally true.
It's true that faith was required, as far back as Adam. However, under the law, the people used sacrifices. They figured that killing a lamb or a pigeon would save them. They never figured out what the law was all about. They relied on the careful following of a huge number of rules rather than on God. That made it a system of works and it didn't work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT

The words attributed to Jesus say that he had not come to abolish the law of the prophets, but to fulfill. To fulfill does not mean to abolish or to modify.

What does fulfill mean if you fulfill a contract, you and I have together? If you fulfill the terms of our contract, is the contract done or do you need to keep fulfilling it?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A covenant is a contract. Both sides agree to do something. When it's done, the covenant is fulfilled. The law, or old covenant, pointed to a final fulfilling, that being the salvation of mankind. Jesus did that and the law was fulfilled. Completed. There was no longer any need for sacrifices. Jesus condensed it all into 2 rules that we now call the Golden Rule.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A covenant is a contract. Both sides agree to do something. When it's done, the covenant is fulfilled. The law, or old covenant, pointed to a final fulfilling, that being the salvation of mankind. Jesus did that and the law was fulfilled. Completed. There was no longer any need for sacrifices. Jesus condensed it all into 2 rules that we now call the Golden Rule.

Yes, but even the golden rule is fulfilled in Him. The way "we" fulfill the contract is by having faith that Jesus fulfilled the contract. By faith we become one with him and it becomes just as if we never sinned, and at the same time, and just as if we paid the price for all sin. In fact, the contract was never made to man anyway according to Gal.3:16

"In him" is a term many Christians never understand. It means to become one with him, which is why we have the analogies of being married to Christ and the symbolism of drinking his blood and eating his flesh. These things are to emphasize oneness.

Last edited by RHClark; 04/18/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Old covenant was based on works. New covenant is based on accepting a free gift by faith.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.