Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I needed another 6" ruler. Sometimes I can't explain Amazon pricing. Someone must pay that much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BTW - have you ever searched HD for anything? They have a lot of stuff that isn't in the store, with free delivery to either the store or your home. I've ordered from them quite a few times. Their shipping is almost as fast as Amazon and they will often beat Amazon prices. Their return policy is very good, too. You can order online and if you need to return it, just take it to the nearest store.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It seems that quite a few people would rather pay more and buy online than actually walk into a store. Those are a must have in my shop!

Just out of curiosity I looked them up at Mcmaster Carr $3.71 but no free shipping. https://www.mcmaster.com/6813A61/

Last edited by Jim1611; 04/19/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, I rarely just buy from amazon without comparing somewhere else.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HD has a daily email you can sign up for with sales and free shipping. It's been helpful to me.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember when vendors used to give you those!

And they were made out of good American Steel as opposed to that Chinese Junk that the Amazon one is probably made out of!

And we had to measure both ways everyday uphill in the snow!!!!!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Exact opposite of my experience from the past week with chainsaw parts.

While I admit to ordering the wrong part, the difference was crazy from Amazon vs. Stihl dealer.

From Amazon I ordered a complete kit[consisted of 5 pieces of antivibe buffers] at $12.95

The Stihl dealer hit was $12.95 per buffer.

After much help from people here I could have tried Amazon again but none of the listed sellers offered any dimensions and you just couldn't tell from the pics, I needed the saw back up and running as it had already been a week +
3 of the pieces from the Amazon order fit perfectly[they just weren't replacing the broken parts on saw]

So had I bought all 5 at the dealer it would have been $65 vs. $12.95 at Amazon

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I remember when vendors used to give you those!

And they were made out of good American Steel as opposed to that Chinese Junk that the Amazon one is probably made out of!

And we had to measure both ways everyday uphill in the snow!!!!!
This is comparing the same brand, Empire, made in India. Amazon does have some Chinese knockoffs for about $2. $17 for a 6" strip of steel is just absurd.

Why is it that so many otherwise good steel rulers don't measure from the end? The markings start 1/8 to 1/4" from the end making it useless for many uses.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I needed another 6" ruler. Sometimes I can't explain Amazon pricing. Someone must pay that much.

BTW - have you ever searched HD for anything? They have a lot of stuff that isn't in the store, with free delivery to either the store or your home. I've ordered from them quite a few times. Their shipping is almost as fast as Amazon and they will often beat Amazon prices. Their return policy is very good, too. You can order online and if you need to return it, just take it to the nearest store.
a lot of stuff from Grizzly.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you were to visit the same item on Amazon on successive days...I'd bet that by the end of the week you will be getting pop-up ads offering the same item cheaper and cheaper. I was looking to replace a lost pocket size vernier caliper a while back...by the end of the week they were offering the same caliper for 50% of the original quote.
I hate being a slave to internet buying but Home Depot is 90 miles and Graingers is a 110 miles. Gas here is 5.59.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
If you were to visit the same item on Amazon on successive days...I'd bet that by the end of the week you will be getting pop-up ads offering the same item cheaper and cheaper. I was looking to replace a lost pocket size vernier caliper a while back...by the end of the week they were offering the same caliper for 50% of the original quote.
I hate being a slave to internet buying but Home Depot is 90 miles and Graingers is a 110 miles. Gas here is 5.59.

Some sites monitor abandoned carts pretty heavy. Stick it in the cart and let it hang out a couple days. Sometimes you'll suddenly get a code/coupon in your email to entice a purchase too.

Doesn't work all of the time but I often try it on non-Amazon sites where I don't need the item immediately.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Teal

Some sites monitor abandoned carts pretty heavy. Stick it in the cart and let it hang out a couple days. Sometimes you'll suddenly get a code/coupon in your email to entice a purchase too.

Doesn't work all of the time but I often try it on non-Amazon sites where I don't need the item immediately.
I recently got a 15% discount on something that way. After it sat in the cart overnight, they emailed me with an offer.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A trip to a big store like HD or Lowes for me involves a 25-30 mile round trip, so 1.5-2 gallons of gas, plus my time. Add to that the uncertainty about what’s actually in stock, and the difficulty of getting someone, anyone, on the phone that can and will help, and online with free shipping is a good bet. Same goes for the shotshells I buy on a regular basis. Last ones I bought locally, an even longer trip, were $100 a case. I can almost always get them cheaper and dropped on my porch to boot. I’ve done very well buying parts for my truck on Amazon, and they know what I drive and offer the correct stuff, every time so far.

OTOH I buy a lot of stuff from the local farm store and also TSC, depending on which direction I’m traveling that day.

Those 6” rulers get used a lot on my loading bench and for checking level when mounting scopes.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We're far enough out that we do a lot of online shopping. Also, the stores here have a very basic inventory, not a lot to choose from. We recently bought some bar stools. We got them online for $120 each. The local price for the same model was $300 each. I like to buy local but I'm not paying that much difference.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Teal

I recently got a 15% discount on something that way. After it sat in the cart overnight, they emailed me with an offer.

Same here. Just got 10% off some fiberglass fence posts yesterday by letting them sit in the cart overnight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
It seems that quite a few people would rather pay more and buy online than actually walk into a store. Those are a must have in my shop!

Just out of curiosity I looked them up at Mcmaster Carr $3.71 but no free shipping. https://www.mcmaster.com/6813A61/

Or don’t have a HD local.

Closest to me is 60 miles..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some things never change. One of them is that it always pays to compare prices.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Some things never change. One of them is that it always pays to compare prices.
Amazon makes shopping easy. I go there for info but often buy elsewhere. Amazon's prices aren't the lowest around.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
... Amazon's prices aren't the lowest around.

Bingo! And NEVER sign up for Amazon's automatic reorders. I buy one flavor of Purina Dog Food from Amazon. Buy another flavor from Walmart. Originally ordered both flavors from Amazon until the one flavor nearly doubled. Crazy thing is the two fulfillment centers for our area are 5-10 minutes away from each other...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love using HD ship to store and my house

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
HD had me wait 2 weeks for the wrong parts and then the delivery was split so they called the backorder as delivered top. I prefer to hands on shop but do buy a lot from Amazon because my wife can't be left alone and is too crippled to always go.

Better scales are engraved, not stamped. You old machinists will know; my preference was a 5R satin flex. I can no longer read the 100ths, 50ths give me fits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 22magnut, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.