Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've had excellent results with hornady eld-m bullets in the 6.5 creedmoor. I'm thinking about trying berger with a bullet pointing die but man are they expensive.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Trystan
I've had excellent results with hornady eld-m bullets in the 6.5 creedmoor. I'm thinking about trying berger with a bullet pointing die but man are they expensive.

Goals?
Comp shooting? If so, what type?
Hunting?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Powder and charge.
Rifle.
Shooter.
Both will fly.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If it ain`t broke...

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is....

IC B2

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xphunter

Goals?
Hunting?

Comp shooting. I have a Tikka CTR 24" set up in a Bravo KRG chassis. I'm thinking PRS or something similar. My rifle is right at 12 lbs and I'm not sure what weight restrictions are

We also have a lot of local things we do with a group of us so always on the search for improvements. On the list at the moment is I'll be trying a few different firing pin springs, possibly the berger bullets and it would be nice to find a few forum members who are doing some competition shooting in Montana, Idaho, or Washington that are interested in meeting a Montana boy who new to competing

Last edited by Trystan; 04/19/24.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Coyote10
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is....

😂😂😂 Lol, isn't that how it usually goes? If I don't try to break it how am I going to learn?

The rifle is a 24" Tikka CTR in a bravo chassis. My current load is 45.3 grains of reloader 23 with a 140 grain hornady eld-m useing the small primer lapua brass with CCI 450s. Velocity is 2750 fps with a 32 fps ES. I would have used H4350 but it was unavailable. I did round some up so planning to use it

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Goals?
Hunting?

Comp shooting. I have a Tikka CTR 24" set up in a Bravo KRG chassis. I'm thinking PRS or something similar. My rifle is right at 12 lbs and I'm not sure what weight restrictions are

We also have a lot of local things we do with a group of us so always on the search for improvements. On the list at the moment is I'll be trying a few different firing pin springs, possibly the berger bullets and it would be nice to find a few forum members who are doing some competition shooting in Montana, Idaho, or Washington that are interested in meeting a Montana boy who new to competing

Typical 5-shot group at 100 yards with the 140 M's is half MOA or better?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Goals?
Hunting?

As a local group we shoot at 1000 yards a lot and with some lots of the hornadys it's hard to get the vertical really tight due to inconsistent bullet lengths. I'm thinking possibly bergers and a bullet pointing die to true up BCs. We are a pretty competitive group of shooters and I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge. Basically I'm bored and I also want to win at our local fun matches. I basically posted the question to see what others have found at longer ranges with berger vs hornady. I do have around 1400 of the hornadys so will no doubt still play with them a fair amount, probably even use them In some competitions where I'm not trying to reach out to 1000.

Basically I'm being extremely anal and counting inches to satisfy my OCD and competitive spirit as well

Last edited by Trystan; 04/19/24.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
32fps ES is doing vertical NO fhuqking favors,but certainly is fhuqking FUNNY! Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Goals?
Hunting?

As a local group we shoot at 1000 yards a lot and with some lots of the hornadys it's hard to get the vertical really tight due to inconsistent bullet lengths. I'm thinking possibly bergers and a bullet pointing die to true up BCs. We are a pretty competitive group of shooters and I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge. Basically I'm bored and I also want to win at our local fun matches. I basically posted the question to see what others have found at longer ranges with berger vs hornady

Well, you have already figured it out then...Try the Berger's and other boutique bullets.

I use Hornady for a lot of things, but if I want the tightest consistent groups possible at distance on paper (1K BR and F-Open) or steel, I will use Berger or a boutique bullet.

Example: F-Open 180 Hybrid and F-TR started with the 200 grain Hybrid, then moved to the 200.20X
My lightweight 1K bench pistol (Batman) 105 Hybrids
My heavyweight pistol used to run 180 grain JLK's. Different chambering now and I'm running the 190 LR Hybrid

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Goals?
Hunting?

As a local group we shoot at 1000 yards a lot and with some lots of the hornadys it's hard to get the vertical really tight due to inconsistent bullet lengths. I'm thinking possibly bergers and a bullet pointing die to true up BCs. We are a pretty competitive group of shooters and I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge. Basically I'm bored and I also want to win at our local fun matches. I basically posted the question to see what others have found at longer ranges with berger vs hornady. I do have around 1400 of the hornadys so will no doubt still play with them a fair amount, probably even use them In some competitions where I'm not trying to reach out to 1000.

Basically I'm being extremely anal and counting inches to satisfy my OCD and competitive spirit as well

Your OCD must not be that bad if you are happy with an ES of 32. What brass you using? Listen to my amigo stick when he says you are doing yourself no favors when it comes to vertical string with that high of an ES.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ditto on the ES

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a guy who constantly has input and likes to argue about long range shooting and scope choices, but outs himself as completely clueless with this post

Perfect

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Goals?
Hunting?

As a local group we shoot at 1000 yards a lot and with some lots of the hornadys it's hard to get the vertical really tight due to inconsistent bullet lengths. I'm thinking possibly bergers and a bullet pointing die to true up BCs. We are a pretty competitive group of shooters and I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge. Basically I'm bored and I also want to win at our local fun matches. I basically posted the question to see what others have found at longer ranges with berger vs hornady

Well, you have already figured it out then...Try the Berger's and other boutique bullets.

I use Hornady for a lot of things, but if I want the tightest consistent groups possible at distance on paper (1K BR and F-Open) or steel, I will use Berger or a boutique bullet.

Example: F-Open 180 Hybrid and F-TR started with the 200 grain Hybrid, then moved to the 200.20X
My lightweight 1K bench pistol (Batman) 105 Hybrids
My heavyweight pistol used to run 180 grain JLK's. Different chambering now and I'm running the 190 LR Hybrid

Thanks, much appreciated! That's what I was looking for

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
For you guys that are so worried about vertical dispersion with a 34 fps ES it's only an extra 6" If sighted in the middle that's 3" high or 3" low. The problem is I didn't have access to H4350 so was forced to use RL 23 with my load which is not an optimal powder in my rifle for great ES numbers. H4350 was unobtainium for some time. Part of what I did to combat vertical dispersion was I did my seating depth testing with the Scott Satterly positive compensation theory and it did work. I went from a vertical of around 12" down to 9" however horizontal will often print in the 4" range at 1000 yards. Basically I'm looking at trying to get my rifle down to shooting some 4" groups at 1000 yards on a good day. My 1000 yard steel plate is 12" square so not even close to the 3 foot steel at 1000 that "Big Stick" shoots at so he can tell me about vertical dispersion. Perhaps instead of big stick telling me I had a high ES he might have told me how changing my firing pin spring, primer, powder, addressing neck tension with mandrels instead of just a bushing die would help me out he may have actually been attempting to teach me something. Instead, as usual, I never learned a single fk'n thing from stick.

XPHunter however gave me some useful information and that was that he has had better results with the bergers in achieving small groups at 1000. Now, some may ask......"IF I'm fairly educated, why am I asking questions?" Well, probably because, while I'm likely more educated than most of the uneducated fk'tards that only had smart-ass presumptuous answers that had nothing to do with the question, I'm humble enough to know that asking questions regardless of how educated one is, is what smart people do to continue gleaning small bits of useful information! And, maybe I'm trying to figure out who's who

Have a great day pards, and get back to your 3' steel at 1000 Stick. And whoever this fk'n tard is who calls you his pard and says I should listen to your drivel that has zero useful information to glean, maybe that dumb MFer should start gleaning from someone who is a bit more in the know

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend

Last edited by Trystan; 04/20/24.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are welcome to your Brokedick Delusions,as you feverishly fill out Hurt Feeler Reports,to vindicate your Professional Victim status...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I barely have (10) 264 Kreeds(expecting another early in the week) and none will shoot an ES in the double digits. Hint.

Keep doing the best you can,with what AMAZINGLY little you "have" to "work" with. Be sure to keep this yarn going,as you Pretend aloud with your GoogleFu. Pardon Splendid Wares that exist,as you DREAM wildly. Lose the SRP's. Hint.

You've been led to water and your countless Insecurities are very WELL founded. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For you guys that are so worried about vertical dispersion with a 34 fps ES it's only an extra 6" If sighted in the middle that's 3" high or 3" low. The problem is I didn't have access to H4350 so was forced to use RL 23 with my load which is not an optimal powder in my rifle for great ES numbers. H4350 was unobtainium for some time. Part of what I did to combat vertical dispersion was I did my seating depth testing with the Scott Satterly positive compensation theory and it did work. I went from a vertical of around 12" down to 9" however horizontal will often print in the 4" range at 1000 yards. Basically I'm looking at trying to get my rifle down to shooting some 4" groups at 1000 yards on a good day. My 1000 yard steel plate is 12" square so not even close to the 3 foot steel at 1000 that "Big Stick" shoots at so he can tell me about vertical dispersion. Perhaps instead of big stick telling me I had a high ES he might have told me how changing my firing pin spring, primer, powder, addressing neck tension with mandrels instead of just a bushing die would help me out he may have actually been attempting to teach me something. Instead, as usual, I never learned a single fk'n thing from stick.

XPHunter however gave me some useful information and that was that he has had better results with the bergers in achieving small groups at 1000. Now, some may ask......"IF I'm fairly educated, why am I asking questions?" Well, probably because, while I'm likely more educated than most of the uneducated fk'tards that only had smart-ass presumptuous answers that had nothing to do with the question, I'm humble enough to know that asking questions regardless of how educated one is, is what smart people do to continue gleaning small bits of useful information! And, maybe I'm trying to figure out who's who

Have a great day pards, and get back to your 3' steel at 1000 Stick. And whoever this fk'n tard is who calls you his pard and says I should listen to your drivel that has zero useful information to glean, maybe that dumb MFer should start gleaning from someone who is a bit more in the know

lol you are idiot… first that rifle you have will not even keep up with a legit f class rifles. 4 inch groups at 1000yds? You are delusional, of course you will have horizontal drift it’s called wind. I shot plenty of NRA 1000yd matches to know you need good brass, good bullets and a good barrel oh and low ES. Your initial post like Rcamuglia said proves you have no idea what you are doing. You think switching bullets is going to fix your problem. Trust me your problem isn’t hornady bullets. Love him or hate him Stick gave you the best advice from the start telling you, your ES is way to high.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I neck size! The brass fits the chamber a lot better and improves groups tremendously. I wouldn't expect you fellas to know this

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.