Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Be watchful of careless drivers. Hit and run death in a parking lot. This happened to one of my sister's-in-law friends.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2024/apr/18/police-searching-for-driver-in-fatal-hit-and-run/

Keep your eyes open. There's more danger in a parking lot than just assaultists.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sad deal , it doesn't surprise me.
Hope they catch the scumbag.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An accident can happen to anyone but leaving the scene is bad doo doo. I hope they catch him. Back up cameras on cars are a big help in parking lots. Our car chirps and yells if anyone is behind us. I've even had a cat set it off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The biggest danger in parking lots comes from the real men who bring their aggressive driving styles to them; drive real fast and everybody get the hell out of my way.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A few years ago I was backing out of a spot and barely missed hitting a woman pushing a cart. I was being careful, too, but she just kept walking even though it was obvious I didn't see her. Yes, I was in the wrong and she was in the right, but she still would have been dead - and dead right isn't much good.

Now I will drive around a lot until I can find a place to pull in so I can drive straight out. Rarely I'll back into a spot, but never drive in and back out of one.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
A few years ago I was backing out of a spot and barely missed hitting a woman pushing a cart. I was being careful, too, but she just kept walking even though it was obvious I didn't see her. Yes, I was in the wrong and she was in the right, but she still would have been dead - and dead right isn't much good.

Now I will drive around a lot until I can find a place to pull in so I can drive straight out. Rarely I'll back into a spot, but never drive in and back out of one.

I've driven employer-provided vehicles for 20+yrs. As such, I've been to 4 mandatory driving schools either when starting a new job or as part of a periodic mandatory training. Every one of them stresses the importance of the above (pull through or back into a spot) whenever possible. Never set yourself up to have to back out of a spot unless absolutely necessary. With backup cameras being nearly ubiquitous, this should be your default.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
An accident can happen to anyone but leaving the scene is bad doo doo. I hope they catch him. Back up cameras on cars are a big help in parking lots. Our car chirps and yells if anyone is behind us. I've even had a cat set it off.
If one pulls through, or backs in, there is much less chance of hitting someone/thing when backing out.

Just sayin.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

I've driven employer-provided vehicles for 20+yrs. As such, I've been to 4 mandatory driving schools either when starting a new job or as part of a periodic mandatory training. Every one of them stresses the importance of the above (pull through or back into a spot) whenever possible. Never set yourself up to have to back out of a spot unless absolutely necessary. With backup cameras being nearly ubiquitous, this should be your default.
Aha, I see you guys got there ahead of me.

Defensive driver teacher years ago (insurance company guy) told us a very high percentage of the "accidents" reported are folks backing out of store parking lot spaces into something/somebody.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Backed in or pulled through is good, until the next guy pulls so close you can’t open the trunk, or canopy to load what you purchased. Back up cameras are a blessing.

Last edited by Heym06; 04/19/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sad deal , it doesn't surprise me.
Hope they catch the scumbag.
Ditto...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The biggest danger in parking lots comes from the real men who bring their aggressive driving styles to them; drive real fast and everybody get the hell out of my way.

Ummm, awe hell, nevermind.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Another good strategy to keep in mind is to park out a ways. I try to avoid parking too close to where I'm going. The parking density is a lot less a couple of hundred feet further out in the parking lot. Also, the kinds of people who tend to be careless in their driving/parking habits or walk through a parking lot with their head up theira ss tend to be the same kind of mentality that drive about six laps around the parking lot trying to find a close spot.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
Backed in or pulled through is good, until the next guy pulls so close you can’t open the trunk, or canopy to load what you purchased. Back up cameras are a blessing.
I try to leave the back end of the truck, the stinger for the trailer hitch and such, over the line into the spot behind me. Keeps the buggers from pulling up too close. grin

Honestly, sometimes I just have to pull forward to get stuff into the truck or on the rack.

There's a camera on the RAV4, I tend to use the mirrors mostly and use the camera for the final approach backing up to walls and other vehicles and such.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Markham and University is a good place to get the goofey blown out of you.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I try to leave the back end of the truck, the stinger for the trailer hitch and such, over the line into the spot behind me. Keeps the buggers from pulling up too close. grin

Honestly, sometimes I just have to pull forward to get stuff into the truck or on the rack.

There's a camera on the RAV4, I tend to use the mirrors mostly and use the camera for the final approach backing up to walls and other vehicles and such.
I do the same thing, backing out of spots in my pick up is awkward, it's almost as much blind spot, as that 2013 land cruiser , we used to have. Take the canopy off and vision is good. Short people can be an issue, but they got no business anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Straddling a line gives a person plenty of room to open the doors as well. wink

Last edited by 5sdad; 04/19/24.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

People that do that have folks park REALLY close to the driver's side door .

Especially those folks with a shiny new car/truck who thinks they deserve two parking spaces because they are "special"

In it is contentment

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

When run across those and am in my old trooper, I angle in next to them. Making them work to get out. Hoping they dent it and scratch up theres. I need a new paint job, and new shiny cars and trucks have insurance.

Last edited by Heym06; 04/19/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not long ago, we returned to our vehicle and began loading groceries.
The wind snatched the door out of my wife's hand and left an ugly gouge about 6 inches long in the door of the car* in the next slot.
* - brand spanking new!
We waited about 5 minutes until the elderly owner came out. We exchanged insurance. Our insurance fixed her car.
About 2 weeks ago, some (apparently!) drunk, illegal alien looking sleaze tried to maneuver between cars in the handicap parking spots! Thankfully, our vehicle sustained no major damage, but the adzhole smiled, waved and drove off!
Dealer tag, they'll never find that POS!

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Parking lots are dangerous for many other reasons than mentioned, I lock my doors and windows up most of the way when sitting. Could recount stories all day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 62 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.