Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kamo gari: Good for you on that monster bargain of a buy!
If you are planning on re-selling some of them I think I can afford that Buck knife in the yellow and black cardboard box?
Let me know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by acy
You certainly did better than the seller.....
Better than some crackhead ending up with them.

This guy inherited his brother's stuff, who was very much into knives and fly fishing. I told him I was interested in buying that lot too, and to come up with a number. He hasn't answered the phone in two days. I suspect there is a hard core binge presently occurring, but I imagine I'll get a call soon.

As to getting a preposterously amazing deal, it wasn't my call. I asked the guy and his sister, just for shyts and giggles, what they would want for everything. He blurted out, "we'll take $300 for them all!". I gave him everything I had in my wallet at the time, which was $360, after telling them that the collection was worth a lot more than that pieced out. They said that they knew that, but couldn't be bothered with parting everything out. They wanted the cash, and now. I obliged. The dearly departed brother is probably doing backflips in his grave, but it's not my job to try to save everyone from themselves.

They have GLoomis, St. Croix, Orvis stuff piled up to the ceiling. Dozens of rods, reels and all sorts of other stuff. I don't fly fish. Yet. That may be subject to change, however. wink
Yes, take up fly fishing.

Maybe get some instruction from a good caster or even a school................then practice.

If you find yourself out of practice after awhile...............not to worry................it's like riding a bike..............or fuggin................it'll come back to you.

Might be a bit wobbly for awhile, but it's still fun!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The seller sets the price and some clutter was turned into cash, win, win!

Now you need to let your brother have a nice one for his Finders Fee.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you, Leighton!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good for you, Leighton!
Yes, Leighton. GFY
😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by acy
You certainly did better than the seller.....
Better than some crackhead ending up with them.

This guy inherited his brother's stuff, who was very much into knives and fly fishing. I told him I was interested in buying that lot too, and to come up with a number. He hasn't answered the phone in two days. I suspect there is a hard core binge presently occurring, but I imagine I'll get a call soon.

As to getting a preposterously amazing deal, it wasn't my call. I asked the guy and his sister, just for shyts and giggles, what they would want for everything. He blurted out, "we'll take $300 for them all!". I gave him everything I had in my wallet at the time, which was $360, after telling them that the collection was worth a lot more than that pieced out. They said that they knew that, but couldn't be bothered with parting everything out. They wanted the cash, and now. I obliged. The dearly departed brother is probably doing backflips in his grave, but it's not my job to try to save everyone from themselves.

They have GLoomis, St. Croix, Orvis stuff piled up to the ceiling. Dozens of rods, reels and all sorts of other stuff. I don't fly fish. Yet. That may be subject to change, however. wink
Yes, take up fly fishing.

Maybe get some instruction from a good caster or even a school................then practice.

If you find yourself out of practice after awhile...............not to worry................it's like riding a bike..............or fuggin................it'll come back to you.

Might be a bit wobbly for awhile, but it's still fun!

^^^THIS^^^ Great advise from Ole Geno !

I’ll warn ya though. Fly Fishing can become quite addictive. Don’t ask me how I know. 😜

And if it turns out you don’t like Fly Fishing, you can always post the gear on the Fire. For us. 😳

If you can buy it for pennies on the dollar, like the knife score you just got, you’d be a fool not to buy it all. 😬

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/19/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you post some pics of the Randalls?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Can you post some pics of the Randalls?

Sure. I've found four Randalls so far, and started sorting some of the others. Still have two boxes left to go through.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
P.S. I've been using 000 steel wool and a metal polishing product on a couple of the blades, but there's a bunch that have rust, persistent stains or both. Any suggestions on cleaning would be appreciated. Last thing I want to do is get aggressive and harm/damage whatever value they might have.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Hell of a bargain👍

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P.S. I've been using 000 steel wool and a metal polishing product on a couple of the blades, but there's a bunch that have rust, persistent stains or both. Any suggestions on cleaning would be appreciated. Last thing I want to do is get aggressive and harm/damage whatever value they might have.

I use Flitz metal polish on knives that are discolored or rusted…..of course any that have rust present you won’t hurt them by cleaning them up…..

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.