Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by callnum
Advertising works great on boomers, hillbillies and the weak minded.

Take for example—MAGA

The greatest advertising scheme ever.

Blinded by hate much?

I’d argue the exact opposite. Make America Great Again (MAGA) is a grassroots thing that resonated despite being a so-so catch phrase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does advertising work??

BUY A FRANKENSTUD SLING KEEPER

I could go on....

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I purposely don't buy based on commercials I see because I hate commercials.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good products sell themselves. Think about that.

I love my dish pvr, when a commercial comes up the 30 second skip button 6-10 times gets me past the garbage.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by callnum
Advertising works great on boomers, hillbillies and the weak minded.

Take for example—MAGA

The greatest advertising scheme ever.

Oh, the irony. That sounds like it came straight from the liberal play book.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Advertising works on everyone. No one thinks it works on them, only everyone else, but it works on everyone.

It is often not intended to sell the product being advertised but even then it works.

100%. If you think you are not susceptible to advertising, you are the most easily influenced.

Advertising isn’t about convincing you to buy something, it’s about making something familiar, part of your world. That makes whatever they are advertising a possible choice.

The only way to avoid being influenced by advertising is to avoid it. And if you think you are, you are delusional. The average American is exposed to 10,000 marketing messages a DAY.

That includes many posts here on the ‘fire.

Those are some interesting thoughts. I'd like to see a source for the first sentence.

As I look around my house, pantry, refrigerator and garage, very little of what I see is even advertised. Less yet on TV and radio. Of course informational posts here on the fire serve to influence us. Most of that is not advertising. Not in the context of the OP. Classifieds work. Getting stuff listed on gun deals works. So does paying to have your product moved to the top of Google search results. Again though, that wasn't really what the OP was about. It was focused more on radio and TV advertising. To a lesser degree on print advertising.

Most of my insurance is through Farm Bureau. I don't even know if they advertise. Hell, that my be why they have the best rates. Or subliminally, I may have chosen them because they haven't irritated the piss out of me, huh?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i haven't read through this entire thread, but I seldom have a positive view or response to advertising, particularly TV. If I remember anything about it, like a stupid jingle or cartoonish character like the emu, it's likely to be a negative association. Insult my values or intelligence, and a negative reaction is guaranteed. If it involves a hot female, I'll likely remember her, but maybe not the product.

I also consider the economics. TV advertising is expensive, and that cost will be passed on to the customer. Where possible, I try to patronize businesses that rely on a well-earned reputation, not expensive hype. Can you imagine the cost of advertising those vegetable pills? See, I can't even remember their name. Then there are the Mexican food franchises. Taco what? They all sound the same, one big blur.

Then there is the pharma advertising. Must drive doctors crazy. I tell my doctors you went to medical school, continuing education. I rely on you to make professional recommendations regarding my health, and to educate me to make good decisions.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Does advertising work??

I could go on....

LOL...

They are great from what I hear...

So I machined up a few myself.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have not had any cola in 30 years but now I sort of want to try a Best Choice Cola just because.

I can say for sure Best Choice has a team of behaviour scientists dedicated to making me drink some and you have helped them out. As I had never heard of it before it's a pretty good first step.

Advertising works and the best advertising works at a deep level.

You ain't had a soda in 30 years, but weigh 280 pounds.

LOL

John lost 100 pounds?

Bucking for "Top Salesman" for the Carnivore diet?

Good Luck John!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yes, advertising works on me. While I seldom watch commercial television, when I do, I try to be very "DEI" aware. Specifically "I" - Inclusion. I make mental notes to NOT BUY anything represented in a commercial that does not include a straight white male in a non-subservient role... "Inclusion" cuts both ways...

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Yes, advertising works on me. While I seldom watch commercial television, when I do, I try to be very "DEI" aware. Specifically "I" - Inclusion. I make mental notes to NOT BUY anything represented in a commercial that does not include a straight white male in a non-subservient role... "Inclusion" cuts both ways...

BINGO...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

What are some of your "must avoid" companies?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Does advertising work??

I could go on....

LOL...

They are great from what I hear...

So I machined up a few myself.

Dang.....

I send out free prints and CAD files to folks who can't afford $39

I'll pray that things get better for you.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

While I would agree with this in theory, wouldn't leave companies to purchase from.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Top of the list, former employer. Procter & Gamble. They were "WOKE" before WOKE was thing. Now, they just double down on stupid stuff. Can be tuff to do without since P&G's business strategy is to be #1 or #2 in whatever market segment they compete. But, can be done.

Most recent was Carhartt uninsulated vests. Went to their website and drilled down to vests, uninsulated. Intention was to get a Style/SKU that my local Carhartt retailer could order in for me. Within my search parameters, of the ~12 items shown, zero models with European heritage. I went with Ariat. And I sent an email to Carhartt corporate and my local Carhartt retailer explaining my choice.

If straight white men went after DEI with the same fervor that the BLM and LGBTQ folks did, the whole issue would be MOOT in short order...

Last edited by Orion2000; 04/21/24.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I drank a bunch of smith&forge cider because of their commercials.

And old spice shower soap. Loved those ones too.

MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The only advertising that has worked for me is by specialty manufacturers on the four automobile forums I follow. I recently bought a pretty slick phone holder for a recently purchased car.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I keep a pad of paper next to my chair. It's too big to post here. Once I see a woke commercial, I write it down and play my new game. How fast can I change the channel. If they have sold me anything it would be batteries for the remote.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
McRib commercials WORK

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
And old spice shower soap.

On a rope, of course.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.