Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I saw a story on this on the American Greed show yesterday. They said this is a way of life in Jamaica, and thousands of Jamaicans participate in scamming Americans. Some people have lost a hundred thousand dollars to these Jamaicans.

U.S. NEWS AUG. 4, 2023 / 11:28 AM
Jamaican man pleads guilty to defrauding U.S. elderly people in fake lottery scam
By Doug Cunningham

Aug. 4 (UPI) -- A Jamaican national pleaded guilty Friday to conspiring to defraud elderly victims in the United States using a fake lottery scheme.

Antony Linton Stewart, 39, of St. James Parish, Jamaica, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud in U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, the Justice Department said in a news release.

Conspiracy to commit wire fraud carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.

"Stewart is the latest example in the department's ongoing efforts to root out and deter fraud from foreign locations that targets our most vulnerable consumers," Justice Department Civil Division head Brian M. Boynton said in a statement.

Stewart admitted in court documents that he used the phone to contact elderly victims and lied to them about winning lottery money. The scam worked by telling the victims they had to pay taxes on the "winnings."

At Stewart's direction the victims wired hundreds of thousands of dollars to people in both the United States and Jamaica. Those people served as intermediaries who then transmitted the money to Stewart.

"Each year, millions of older Americans suffer heavy financial losses in the hands of scammers operating in the United States and abroad," said U.S. Attorney Dena J. King for the Western District of North Carolina said in a statement. "Today's guilty plea underscores our efforts to investigate and bring to justice perpetrators of elder fraud schemes no matter where they originate."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
How do people dumb enough to fall for this schitt accumulate hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe they are targeting people with diminished capacity. Live long enough and you may be a victim.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are a number of places on this planet that need to be vaporized, and Jamaica is one of them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There are a number of places on this planet that need to be vaporized, and Jamaica is one of them.

Not so fast! My Appleton Estate Rum is Jamaican, proof that there’s some good in the worst places. I know it sure makes me feel better……

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
How do people dumb enough to fall for this schitt accumulate hundreds of thousands of dollars?

In the case of my buddies mom the old man made it all, his mom called him to tell him the good news and he was able to put a stop to it all. It just cost him a hell of a lot of time on the phone.

But yeah, I wonder the same thing.

Last edited by 12344mag; 04/21/24.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Not so fast! My Appleton Estate Rum is Jamaican, proof that there’s some good in the worst places. I know it sure makes me feel better……

Well, take a vacation to Jamaica and let me know what you think upon your return. Or you might just want to spend a little time in Miami in the midst of local Jamaicans.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
i won that very lottery the other day....told him i didnt need the money...he could keep it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you are winning something that you never even entered it should be a pretty clear signal it’s a scam……diminished capacity is right…..

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hmmmm- - - - -it would probably cost less to mail that box of C-notes to Jamaica- - - - -the postal rates to Nigeria are outrageous! I'm still waiting for my payoff, though! They must be using snail mail to send it to me!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So who are the dumbasses? Western Liberals who fall for this BS or the uneducated lazy asses from Jamaica, who create these scams?

Why doesn't the USA just take over Jamaica, get rid of all of their citizens by sending them back to Africa, then relocate all of our Afro Americans there....

Just thinking outloud is all...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
They accumulated it when they were still mentally sharp.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
For the uneducated, the Haitians and Jamaicans have family in the US. Just get into a cab in Miami, it does not take long to figure out where these scams come from....sure as crap, ain't from the islands. Miami is a Grafters Paradise. They just jump back and forth between the islands and Miami.

Come on....Cubans, Columbians, Jamaicans, PRs, Haitians, and every brand of US thug all mixed together. Not one difference in what kind a thief you are. All are offspring of the same whore. No searching for them, they are in Miami driving a Lamborghini.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've won several UK and Australian lotteries over the years. I'd like to thank whoever is buying the tickets for me. If times get tough, I'll head over and collect. Here's hoping there's not a statute of limitations. I also have connections to several dethroned African big wigs and some royalty that need to help getting their shillings out of country. There's a 50% cut for me.

Don't have any grandchildren yet that need to be bailed out of jail or foreign girl friends with health of family issues either.

Last: I got an email telling me my office computer had been hacked, and the perps caught me and the secretary getting it on atop my desk. If I didn't pay up the video would be put out on the web. I didn't even know the unit had a camera on it. Plus, it had to be a scam, as I wouldn't touch her with a 3.048 meter pole.

Locally though, we do have some counterfeiting going on. Sold my Landcruiser a couple months back and didn't think to check that bundle of C-notes he handed over. Better go give them a look.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/21/24.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I saw a story on this on the American Greed show yesterday. They said this is a way of life in Jamaica, and thousands of Jamaicans participate in scamming Americans. Some people have lost a hundred thousand dollars to these Jamaicans.

U.S. NEWS AUG. 4, 2023 / 11:28 AM
Jamaican man pleads guilty to defrauding U.S. elderly people in fake lottery scam
By Doug Cunningham

Aug. 4 (UPI) -- A Jamaican national pleaded guilty Friday to conspiring to defraud elderly victims in the United States using a fake lottery scheme.

Antony Linton Stewart, 39, of St. James Parish, Jamaica, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud in U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, the Justice Department said in a news release.

Conspiracy to commit wire fraud carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.

"Stewart is the latest example in the department's ongoing efforts to root out and deter fraud from foreign locations that targets our most vulnerable consumers," Justice Department Civil Division head Brian M. Boynton said in a statement.

Stewart admitted in court documents that he used the phone to contact elderly victims and lied to them about winning lottery money. The scam worked by telling the victims they had to pay taxes on the "winnings."

At Stewart's direction the victims wired hundreds of thousands of dollars to people in both the United States and Jamaica. Those people served as intermediaries who then transmitted the money to Stewart.

"Each year, millions of older Americans suffer heavy financial losses in the hands of scammers operating in the United States and abroad," said U.S. Attorney Dena J. King for the Western District of North Carolina said in a statement. "Today's guilty plea underscores our efforts to investigate and bring to justice perpetrators of elder fraud schemes no matter where they originate."

My mother was getting harassed by these people. Both men and women were calling her at all times of the day and night. She eventually sent them $400 in cash and later a check for $4000. I got the check stopped payment but they took it to a bank in northern Virigina and the bank cashed it anyway. The bank lost the money because I closed the account. (I was a full partner on her account) I started calling them back from my cell phone and ordering them to leave my mother alone. I never mentioned who my mother was. I even got my friends to call the numbers they were using and harassing them. It wasn't much but it was something.

The bottom line is, this was the last 6 months of my mother's life and they made her absolutely miserable for that 6 months. If I could I would find them life life coc& suckers and kill each one with my bare hands. I finally got a Senator involved and only then did the postal service get involved. No law enforcement agency above the local police would get involved until I got a Senator involved.

I hear later that they got another local lady for over $100,000. She wouldn't tell her son what she was doing because they threatened her too. They said they were going to send one of their "men" out to collect and she just started sending money.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JFC yall old farts got SUCKER stamped on your foreheads.

How bout just stop giving your name and phone number over the internet every time you see Jack LaLane and his new Garden Weasel tiller.

lmao

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,205
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.