-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In the last few months, I have read Stephen Ambrose’s second volume of his biography of Dwight Eisenhower, which gave some insight into Eisenhower’s concerns over nuclear war and the buildup of nuclear weapons during his tenure as President. That led to reading “American Prometheus” by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, about Robert Oppenheimer. That led to a brand new release, “Nuclear War: A Scenario” by Annie Jacobsen. If you want a quick read about something interesting, I thought that this was a good one. The author discusses declassified information and garnered as much other information as legally permissible, and discusses the potential ramifications of nuclear war and the extremely short time frames under which decisions about the future of the planet must be made by actors in multiple countries. After running through general facts, the author creates a minute-by-minute scenario of a hypothetical incident involving missiles directed at the U.S. by North Korea. Based on the author’s research and, probably, incomplete information, the U.S. President has about 6 minutes from notification of incoming missiles to decide if and/or how the U.S. will respond. The author also gives an overview of the effects of a nuclear war on the survivors and the planet.

I don't usually read fiction, but I found it thought provoking.

The people who post “we [or whoever else] ought to nuke ____ to glass” may want to look at this book as well.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Annie Jacobson stuff is interesting and she gets some pretty good access.

For those who want a bit of video here is a short clip of her on Lex Friedmans show talking about the subject sort of promoting the book.

There is a full on 3 hr long form interview for those interested but that's a bit of time if you're not driving or doing something else. Lex is a skilled interviewer.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JOHN BURNS - " Annie Jacobson stuff is interesting and she gets some pretty good access."

Yes, indeed. Annie Jacobson is a very insightful and informative investigative reporter. I really like her work.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The book One Second After is about life after an EMP. We would get an EMP if N. Korea blew a single nuke 10 miles above Omaha. That would knock out all electricity and all vehicles in the United States.

It is a realistic and grim look at life after just one nuke. ps You will need some guns and lots of ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrong! A single warhead detonated over Omaha would produce a regional EMP only.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am under the impression that a single nuke over the central United States would knock out electronics for the entire country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also was under this impression! My brother, who has an aerospace background in ICBM & launch vehicle technology straightened me out on this issue.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
May be coming to neighborhood near you, sooner than you think....

Could be from China, if they don't own most of the USA by now..

Why do we sell our nation out, to foreigners with money?

Do you blame them for buying it, or do you blame Americans for selling it to them?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jacobsen's book discusses the possibility of a nuclear armed satellite super-EMP device detonated 300 miles above Omaha that would cover the landmass of the entire US. Aside from the power grid going down, one immediate problem would be that all modes of conveyance that "fly by wire" (just about everything these days) would be without any controls, pretty much causing every vehicle in transit (planes, trains and automobiles) to crash. That's why DOD doomsday planes are 747s that fly by foot pedal and yoke. (Of course, those ultimately will run out of fuel and crash after implementing whatever retaliatory measures they can.)

Albert Einstein is credited with saying something to the effect that he did know what weapons would be used in World War III, but that World War IV would be fought with sticks and stones.

I don't see much reason to lose sleep over it. I just thought it was interesting. If the ground starts rumbling in my vicinity, I can look up and see if ICBMs are taking off. smile

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

For those who want a bit of video here is a short clip of her on Lex Friedmans show talking about the subject sort of promoting the book.

There is a full on 3 hr long form interview for those interested but that's a bit of time if you're not driving or doing something else. Lex is a skilled interviewer.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I just finished John Burns new release. NyQuil and vodka -natures miracle cure. Great read

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Wrong! A single warhead detonated over Omaha would produce a regional EMP only.
How big is your region ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
the U.S. President has about 6 minutes from notification of incoming missiles to decide if and/or how the U.S. will respond. The author also gives an overview of the effects of a nuclear war on the survivors and the planet.

I don't usually read fiction, but I found it thought provoking.

The people who post “we [or whoever else] ought to nuke ____ to glass” may want to look at this book as well.

Biden making a decision in 6 minutes??? We are doomed.

Lost Arra in previous camp life
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Looks like an interesting read

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 8 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.