Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Ringman
BC20cal,

Take read from 1 Corinthians 5. The whole chapter. You will learn you are required to judge those in the church. God will judge those outside the church.

1 Corinthians 5......I have a question for the panel about it, started to bring it up, decided not to but since you did I will.

We see a guy who was having an affair with his step mother that got found out and Paul told the people to kick him out of their congregation in order to "turn him over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his Spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord".

I have no idea how that works. I know very well that sin will kill you or lead to early physical death. Paul seemed to think that even though this guy was into big time sin he would still be saved in the end. Not only did his faith not have good works he was producing negative works....I suppose you could say his faith was "dead". Somehow it hints at the idea that a person who is saved can fall into deep depravity and still make it. Salvation seems to be very durable.

Furthermore, Paul went on to say to "expel the wicked from among you" including people who claimed to be "brothers" yet were "sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler." He told the people not to associate with these or even eat with them. Paul seemed to have zero interest in creating an "inclusive environment where everyone is welcome".

Its obvious that he did not want these "fake Christians" around to exert influence on the others....saying "don't you know a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough".

Did he think these also would be saved in the day of the Lord after being turned over to Satan?

In any event, there is zero doubt that the people in this "church" were held accountable for their "works" to some extent as crossing certain lines was not tolerated.

People who have the idea that Paul was all grace and James was all works have cherry picked a few verses and failed to read everything.
Look at the society where Paul was working. The Greeks were polytheistic and some of their gods demanded sex in their worship. Temple prostitutes were common where you'd 'go to 'church' to have sex with one and call it worship. Everything they did was sinful. Paul was trying to turn them around and having a rough go of it. Allowing them latitude in their new Christian churches was making the church just 1 more of what they already had. He had to be very strict or they would be just like they used to be.

or even eat with them.
This is an interesting point about their customs. Back then, eating with someone was considered a friendly greeting, almost like a handshake today. Paul was telling them to avoid these people altogether as eating with them was a form of acceptance.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The person in 1 Cor 5 who was having sex with his step mother was born again believer and who refused to repent of his sexual immorality was handed over to Satan for the destruction of the body which means that Satan was given power to afflict him physically, whether trough sickness or disease maybe even to take his life. Satan has to ask permission from God to afflict people of God as in the case of Job or Peter when he asked for permission and was granted. God uses Satan to discipline His wayward children. In the case of the man in 1 Cor 5 even if Satan is allowed to afflict this person to the point of taking his life the man will be saved because once saved always saved. Paul also tells the church to remove this wicked man from their midst as an example that known sin will not be tolerated in the church, The church is holy positionally and should be so practically. The church has a responsibility and the right to judged its members Scripturally, to excommunicate someone is a form of discipline which should be taken as a last resort if the Christian will not repent of known practicing sin. The church cannot judge inwards sins only known outward sins, inward or secret sins are and will be judged by the Lord either in this life through discipline or later at the Judgment Seat of Christ. But it must be remembered that excommunicated person should be visited and encouraged to repent and be restored as this person was in 2 Cor 2.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, you are sure he was “born again”?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
If he wasn't his spirit couldn't be save at the coming of Christ. If a believer refuses to live holy and godly life then he is presently useless to God, he is still a child of God but gone astray. He will be dealt with by the Lord but he will be saved as through fire as mentioned in 1 Cor 3. He will also not reign with Christ in His kingdom as Paul warns Corinthians in chapter 6.

In Luke 15 the prodigal is a child of the father, he is a son before he departs into the world and he is a son after he repents. This is not a parable of unbeliever becoming saved but a believer who goes into the world for a time and lives a life of sin but then repents and confessed his sin and is welcomed by the father.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
I've always felt that Salvation only comes from God's grace but God's grace is earned, not simply applied to everyone regardless. Otherwise there'd be no requirement to turn from sin either.
Common sense says that and so does the book of James in the Bible. But Baptist and Methodist forgot that.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Keep, "IT", simple folks. We are Saved by Grace.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine-- Praising my Saviour all the day long."

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When James is discussing faith and works in James 2 he concludes with, “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” So faith that shows no good works is a dead fruit tree that bears no fruit.

When Jesus’ followers come to a genuine faith in Him, their hearts are changed, the Holy Spirit dwells in them, and empowers them to do good works. And James is teaching the same thing that Jesus taught and the same thing that Paul taught: The outward good works of Jesus’ followers reveal the authenticity of their inward faith. They don’t pursue good works to earn their salvation, they do so because of their salvation.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So very clear.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duke61
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
If he wasn't his spirit couldn't be save at the coming of Christ. If a believer refuses to live holy and godly life then he is presently useless to God, he is still a child of God but gone astray. He will be dealt with by the Lord but he will be saved as through fire as mentioned in 1 Cor 3. He will also not reign with Christ in His kingdom as Paul warns Corinthians in chapter 6.

In Luke 15 the prodigal is a child of the father, he is a son before he departs into the world and he is a son after he repents. This is not a parable of unbeliever becoming saved but a believer who goes into the world for a time and lives a life of sin but then repents and confessed his sin and is welcomed by the father.

The point is…you said above this post he WAS a born again individual. Now you say, “if he wasn’t….” Words concerning this subject need to be precise, clear, and sharp. Or you can cause confusion among readers.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Cash;
Good morning my friend, I hope that you and those who matter to you are well.

Thanks for your thoughts and wonderful photo which illustrates them perfectly.

While I've mentioned this previously, the closest I've felt to being in the very presence of God was on a mountain 3 hours hard hike from the nearest road.

That would be 3 hours for a younger me too mind you Cash, while I'm blessed to still trod the same paths 3 decades later, the time and effort seem to have increased.

Even more so than us being able to speak to God in said wild places, I believe God can speak to us more efficiently there.

I'd respectfully suggest those are two very different things.

While there is some utility to the internet, allowing a BC redneck to converse with interesting folks who live in far flung regions as an example, the negative aspect of it for me is the constant distractions which do not help me to concentrate, much less meditate.

All the best to you all this weekend Cash.

Dwayne

Dwayne, It’s always refreshing to read your thoughts and perspectives on a myriad of subjects…so once again Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I used to think that I felt closer to God in the high, wild places but I’ve since come to believe that my feelings were based on my focus at the time. That was MY shortcoming. My mind was uncluttered when I was in the beauty of His creation when I was in the wild places and I was most receptive to noticing His beauty. I’ve tried to notice His creation more when I’m stuck on the concrete because, at least for me, that’s always been a challenge. I struggle to find beauty in concrete and traffic and I ponder and search deeply when I’m watching His children treat themselves and each other so terribly. My humanity often fails to remain focused around honking horns and people struggling but I’ve since come to realize that it’s in those moments where I most NEED Him and His Grace!

I’m just a sinner who tries to be better but I know I fail miserably at times…it’s in those times though that I reach out to Him and He has NEVER failed to reach out to me…sometimes I have been so lost that simply taking my hand isn’t nearly enough but He knows me and my struggles and He has carried me more times than I care to admit.

I imagine that like my friend Cash I’ll always feel closer to him in the wild places that are still uncluttered by the messes His children seem to make but maybe that’s what it’ll take for a dummy like me to keep trying to be better when my feet are stuck to concrete in this world? I’m working hard to be better and I’m struggling to get my boots off this pavement but I pray that I’ll never forgo doing His bidding in the places where I sometimes feel He is the least representated ….. those are just one of the many struggles that THIS long-haired sinner struggles with daily!

All my best to you and your beautiful family Dwayne…as well as the rest of the motley crew here!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
For decades, I struggled to know what it meant to believe in Jesus. I certainly believed the content of the Bible, but I knew that something was not right in me.

Then I read this passage that shook me to my core.

Matthew‬ ‭8‬:‭28‬-‭32‬ ‭ESV‬‬
And when he came to the other side, to the country of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men met him, coming out of the tombs, so fierce that no one could pass that way. And behold, they cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” Now a herd of many pigs was feeding at some distance from them. And the demons begged him, saying, “If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of pigs.” And he said to them, “Go.” So they came out and went into the pigs, and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the waters.

These demons believed in Jesus. They recognized Him as the Son of God. They even knew of His future to torment them and recognized that time had not yet come.

But they are demons. They are hell-bound. What is wrong with their belief? Their belief is limited to their intellect, but does not extend to their actions.

Demons followed Lucifer into rebellion and were cast out of heaven.

Lucifer and the angels that followed him thought that they could make themselves like God, to be at His level, rather than recognizing their place subordinate to God.

Fallen Lucifer, taking the form of a serpent, successfully tempted Eve into sin, telling her that she could be like God and make her own decisions of what was right and wrong.

Lucifer’s pride caused him to seek to be equal to God. Eve’s pride caused her to seek the same. Each human instinctively seeks the same - I certainly did.

This is why we must surrender control of our lives to God.

Like the demons, I had intellectual belief.

Salvation requires more than head knowledge.

The longest journey is from the head to the heart.

I fought God until I was age 50. I tried to earn my salvation by my works. But I could not maintain obedience. I followed this flawed method of trying and failing until I gave up at age 47 and accepted that I would never be saved. I could not do what it took to be saved.

I was pretty stupid. I arrogantly and consciously thought I was smarter than God. I thought I could make up my own criteria to be saved. I had placed myself above His word.

And then at age 50, I read this passage which changed my life.

Galatians‬ ‭3‬:‭2‬-‭3‬ ‭ESV‬‬
Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

That described me perfectly - I was foolishly trying to earn my salvation by my works.

At age 10, I had been moved by the spirit and was baptized. I begun by the spirit.

I then tried to complete my salvation by my works - for 40 years.

But in reality, I refused to give up self control. I did what I wanted - I was a slave to sin and could not break free. Yes, I was quite the hypocrite, playing the church game every Sunday - look good, smell good. I refused to admit that I could not save myself. I refused to admit that I needed Jesus’ sacrifice for my salvation. I was extremely proud - I didn’t need anyone else’s help; not even Jesus’s help.

Galatians 3:2-3 opened my eyes. Dumbfounded and finally humbled (somewhat 😃), I accepted Jesus as my Savior and in that moment I was saved.

After that, obedience and the desire to serve Him (works) came easily. Not to say I am perfect; I can still sin. But now, I go running to God for forgiveness when I sin, knowing that I will be graciously accepted. I no longer hide in shame when I sin. I am no longer separated from God.

His yoke truly is much easier and lighter than what I tried for 40 failed years.

Excellent post!!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by antlers
The New Testament manuscripts make it pretty clear that salvation comes by God’s grace alone, through trust and confidence in Jesus alone. Until you get to the book of James. There’s a passage in James 2 that can lead to some confusion on this issue. Does this passage fly in the face of “salvation by God’s grace alone, through trust and confidence in Jesus alone”…? Or does it simply need further examination to be fleshed out…?
Mathew 25

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"The Ground Is level at the Foot Of The Cross."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.