Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Suddenly can post pictures.

It's an Earth Day miracle. May Gaia bless us each and every one.

Me

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a few tapes that you had to wedge a pack of matches in below the tape or else the music would sound like you're on some sort of exotic drug or something. It put a whole new meaning on the term "far out".

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/22/24.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yea i had a bunch back in the day

Last edited by rem shooter; 04/22/24.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Those under age 55 or so will never know the joy of hearing the tape changing tracks in the middle of their favorite song.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Those under age 55 or so will never know the joy of hearing the tape changing tracks in the middle of their favorite song.
.....or finding a really good tape and spending hard-earned bucks on it! Only to come back to your car and finding the case warped to the point it won't go into the player!
Heaven only knows how many dollars in warped 8-track tapes I've tossed into car wash trash cans! 😖
Did I learn?
Nope! Just went back and bought more! 🤪

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

take that back,

my granddad had a el camino with an 8 track player, I swear he only had one tape, Clarence Carter. My younger cousin would always start singing "I be strokin" when we would go to get in that mullet of a car.

THen I remember when they had the 8 track tape adapter you could put the newer cassettes in to play them.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
.....or finding a really good tape and spending hard-earned bucks on it! Only to come back to your car and finding the case warped to the point it won't go into the player!
Heaven only knows how many dollars in warped 8-track tapes I've tossed into car wash trash cans! 😖
Did I learn?
Nope! Just went back and bought more! 🤪

I used to buy my 8-tracks from a store called "Tape World" . They would stamp the date of purchase right on the tape, and guarantee it for 30 days, no questions asked.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They must’ve been designed by a sadist to frustrate all that tried to use them.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rainshot
They must’ve been designed by a sadist to frustrate all that tried to use them.

The Stereo 8 Cartridge was created in 1964 by a consortium led by Bill Lear, of Lear Jet Corporation,[8] along with Ampex, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Motorola, and RCA Victor Records (RCA - Radio Corporation of America).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_cartridge

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I still sing along with some of those songs on XM and add the clicks as I am singing. Only way I know how to sing some of them. I still have a box of those in storage. In my youth during the summer driving combine I had an 8 track and would listen to those for 14 hours a day. I would switch them up with friends that also had them in their combines and yes after a while you would have to "adjust" them with a wedge of some type. My parents bought a new Chrysler car in the early 70's and it had AM, FM, 8 Track, and on the Transmisson hump it had a new fandangled thing called a cassette player, played these tiny little things you put in there.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those were the worse, especially when the music would fade down to change tracks right in the middle of a song.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pulling out of the high school parking lot the day they turned us seniors loose: May 1969. Grassroots 8-Track playing "Live for Today" on the tape deck in my '67 Firebird. Tape deck stolen later that fall while at college.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had dozens of them, until someone stole them.

NRA Patron
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I remember the crinkling sound that the player made when it started chewing up the tape…😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I still have an Automatic Radio AM/FM 8 track under dash unit kicking around in my shop.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My 63 Impala SS 327 white on red, had a Lear Jet 8 track with a now small amp and speakers. Had a small Allen head wrench on the dash, to adjust the play back speed for the temperature change. Way better than the rock AM radio stations of the time that expired daily at sunset.
When I got the Impala, I called my Uncle in Birmingham, AL and drove down to his custom car shop to have the sound system installed over the weekend. Then drove back to Campbell in time for revile, Monday morning.

Still find a tape, in a storage box, now and then. Stones, CCR, Beatles, Zombies, Yardbirds, etc.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Suddenly can post pictures.

It's an Earth Day miracle. May Gaia bless us each and every one.

And not blurry at that!

It is, truly a miracle of epic proportion!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ah but do any of you remember the 4 tract

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
TBS Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had a lear jet 8 track in my 64 Buick LeSabre. Those were the days!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.